Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flights banned from South America and Portugal 17:13 - Jan 14 with 622 viewsStokieBlue

From 4am tomorrow. The reasoning is to contain the new C19 variant that has mutated in Brazil although hard to see how these bans help when people can just go indirectly via Paris or New York or wherever.

As BL pointed out, they obviously do help but they aren't perfect.

SB
[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 17:21]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Flights banned from South America and Portugal on 17:17 - Jan 14 with 593 viewsbluelagos

Presumably if you fly from South America via Paris you are still banned.

E.G. Whenever you arrive at LHR it is your origin that determines whether you go through the EU channel, not where that plane took off. (Or was in EU days)

Even if not - it may not be perfect but has to help surely?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Flights banned from South America and Portugal on 17:21 - Jan 14 with 585 viewsStokieBlue

Flights banned from South America and Portugal on 17:17 - Jan 14 by bluelagos

E.G. Whenever you arrive at LHR it is your origin that determines whether you go through the EU channel, not where that plane took off. (Or was in EU days)

I would hope so but that's much harder to track and would require the immigration in Paris to stop them boarding flights to the UK which seems unlikely without some form of agreement. If they are already in the UK and stopped at the border everyone on the plane and in the arrivals lounge is possibly exposed.

As you say though, it will definitely help. It's the correct decision just as it was the correct decision to ban flights from the UK when we had the new variant.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Flights banned from South America and Portugal on 17:21 - Jan 14 with 581 viewsmikeybloo88

Flights banned from South America and Portugal on 17:17 - Jan 14 by bluelagos

Are other European countries not doing the same thing? Macron was quick out of the blocks to halt travel from Britain before Christmas...I think if people want to get anywhere badly enough they'll find a way, but as you say, it's gotta help and is the right thing to do.
Flights banned from South America and Portugal on 20:40 - Jan 14 with 507 viewsNewcyBlue

I’m on a ship that does Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, then over to the Far East.

Hopefully this is all calmed down in 56 days when I am due off in Singapore, or else that crossing over to South America will not be a fun one...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Flights banned from South America and Portugal on 23:39 - Jan 14 with 406 viewsWeWereZombies

Flights banned from South America and Portugal on 20:40 - Jan 14 by NewcyBlue

I’m on a ship that does Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, then over to the Far East.

Hopefully this is all calmed down in 56 days when I am due off in Singapore, or else that crossing over to South America will not be a fun one...

I haven't read the rule in full detail, absolutely knackered at the moment, but I think you will be alright Newcy. The ban applies to non-UK nationals. If you have a UK passport and residency then you are subject to self isolation rules but they will let you in to be able to follow them.

Three hours ago at Schiphol it was not quite like the last helicopter out of Saigon but there were six flights to the United Kingdom and the Republic all taking off within fifty five minutes of each other. And as the departures board refreshed each one of those flights (to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dublin, Birmingham and Newcastle) had a different flight number. Each flight had five different flight numbers! Maximum flight consolidation or have the Netherlands escalated ham sandwichgate to code share overload?

When I landed in Glasgow the only thing different to normal was showing the passport control my phone so that they could glance at the Passenger Locator form.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024