Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit will be sh1t part 27534563 21:17 - Jan 14 with 5861 viewsDubtractor

Surprise! They are looking to roll back workers rights and protections.

Who'd have predicted that this would happen........

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Brexit will be sh1t part 27534563 on 11:56 - Jan 16 with 254 viewsitfcjoe

Brexit will be sh1t part 27534563 on 17:00 - Jan 15 by Darth_Koont

Your approach has seen Labour on a downward trajectory of losing support for 20 years. An uptick and reversal of that trend in 2017 notwithstanding.

Respectfully, you should get your head out of your @rse about where Labour is heading electorally and indeed where Scottish independence and Brexit actually came from. Even after a pandemic, if Labour can’t provide an alternative to drag the UK back on a more sensible and more modern track then they’re even more part of the problem than they have been in the past.

You do realise that Labour went left after loising the election in 2010?, befire heading further that way in 2015?

That the Brexit referendum was off the back of a global financial crash and 6 years of Tory austerity and services being cut to the bone, not off the back of where Labour left the country.

Labour have spent a decade trying to apologise for the best Government of my lifetime (a low bar no doubt) rather than shout from the rooftops what it actually achieved. Because it wasn't pure enough for some of the left, because they had to compromise and play the game - the outcomes for real people were an uptick in standards of living, in lowering child poverty, in education, in NHS waiting times and lots and lots of other things that affect everyone on a day to day basis.

The party has lost its way, by going away from the slick New Labour machinery that was in place, if that comes back, then they'll be in with a chance again. If those further on the left don't like it then it is up to them to try and do something about it - they've had their go at running the party and look where that has got us. Blame sabotage, blame whatever you want - but those who are in charge carry the can

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Brexit will be sh1t part 27534563 on 13:32 - Jan 16 with 216 viewsDarth_Koont

Brexit will be sh1t part 27534563 on 11:56 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

You do realise that Labour went left after loising the election in 2010?, befire heading further that way in 2015?

That the Brexit referendum was off the back of a global financial crash and 6 years of Tory austerity and services being cut to the bone, not off the back of where Labour left the country.

Labour have spent a decade trying to apologise for the best Government of my lifetime (a low bar no doubt) rather than shout from the rooftops what it actually achieved. Because it wasn't pure enough for some of the left, because they had to compromise and play the game - the outcomes for real people were an uptick in standards of living, in lowering child poverty, in education, in NHS waiting times and lots and lots of other things that affect everyone on a day to day basis.

The party has lost its way, by going away from the slick New Labour machinery that was in place, if that comes back, then they'll be in with a chance again. If those further on the left don't like it then it is up to them to try and do something about it - they've had their go at running the party and look where that has got us. Blame sabotage, blame whatever you want - but those who are in charge carry the can

I understand your view but I think it’s deeply flawed - and it’s seeing it in pretty English terms. The same disenfranchisement and disillusionment that led in a rather unfocused way to Brexit in England had already been recognised and identified in Scotland and the increasing realisation that our UK politicians and media were crap and have always been pretty crap regardless of whether they’re red or blue.

That didn’t magically appear with austerity. Austerity just sharpened it. Try spinning your New Labour mythology in Scotland and you’ll get most people looking at you strangely and shaking their heads. Yes Labour were better in government than the Tories and achieved good things but (and it’s an enormous Kardashian-sized but) cementing neoliberalism and British imperialism/exceptionalism rather than challenging them and not doing anything like enough about regional structural imbalances made Blair more part of the problem than the solution. Perhaps even more so as he and Labour were meant to be the alternative ... Thatcher’s greatest achievement indeed.

We are talking about a direction of travel that’s separated Scotland (and many of the other regions and communities) from the dominant status quo and narrative over at least 4 decades. Seeing it as a simplistic reaction to austerity (that Labour endorsed at the time) is you not really understanding the question you think you’re answering.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 13:33]

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024