Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"The war in Yemen must end," 23:06 - Feb 4 with 749 viewsjeera

"President Joe Biden said in his first major foreign policy speech."

Amen to that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-55941588

I know a lot of people aren't convinced about the old boy, but he's so far doing the right things.

Yes it would be great if he were years younger, but his outlook is refreshing nonetheless.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:15 - Feb 4 with 719 viewsGuthrum

Might be some interesting power-shifts in the Middle East. Read a piece the other day suggesting back-channel negotiations are already going on between the Saudis and Iran. The war in Yemen is a dreadful stalemate anyway. Now with Biden potentially pressuring Riyadh, rather than Trump's unqualified support, there may be incentives on all sides to bring it to an end.

Possibly they might come to some sort of detente in order to gang up on Turkey?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:18 - Feb 4 with 712 viewsTieDyedIn95

Is he going to start bombing people to spread America again because I got bored of that the millionth time they tried that before.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:22 - Feb 4 with 699 viewsjeera

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:18 - Feb 4 by TieDyedIn95

Is he going to start bombing people to spread America again because I got bored of that the millionth time they tried that before.

I'm not sure how that relates to this but you would hope not.

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:26 - Feb 4 with 694 viewsGuthrum

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:18 - Feb 4 by TieDyedIn95

Doubt it. He has a major domestic crisis to deal with, more wars would not be helpful.

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:35 - Feb 4 with 679 viewsmonytowbray

Trump’s turned a blind eye to whomever can pay him or blackmail him for 4 years.

It’s a relief, now can we do the same with our nationalist corrupt chancers this side of the pond and fck them off.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:35 - Feb 4 with 681 viewsjeera

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:15 - Feb 4 by Guthrum

Might be some interesting power-shifts in the Middle East. Read a piece the other day suggesting back-channel negotiations are already going on between the Saudis and Iran. The war in Yemen is a dreadful stalemate anyway. Now with Biden potentially pressuring Riyadh, rather than Trump's unqualified support, there may be incentives on all sides to bring it to an end.

Possibly they might come to some sort of detente in order to gang up on Turkey?

I have no idea, but I do know the civilians have had more than fair share of misery.

I have a pal who is of Yemeni origin and she has been mightily upset at the lack of coverage of their plight she has said.

How this will pan out and even if Biden's condemnation of the continued violence will even make much a of dent yet who knows?

The UK and Saudi's other supporters need to be following suit.

Yemen can't return to how it was, too many factions won't allow it, but no one wants to listen or consider power share do they? Some would rather keep on at it whilst the innocents are caught up in the middle.

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:39 - Feb 4 with 673 viewsGuthrum

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:35 - Feb 4 by jeera

I have no idea, but I do know the civilians have had more than fair share of misery.

I have a pal who is of Yemeni origin and she has been mightily upset at the lack of coverage of their plight she has said.

How this will pan out and even if Biden's condemnation of the continued violence will even make much a of dent yet who knows?

The UK and Saudi's other supporters need to be following suit.

Yemen can't return to how it was, too many factions won't allow it, but no one wants to listen or consider power share do they? Some would rather keep on at it whilst the innocents are caught up in the middle.

Yemen might split. It was two countries until 1990.

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:44 - Feb 4 with 671 viewsjeera

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:39 - Feb 4 by Guthrum

Yemen might split. It was two countries until 1990.

Sure but then that still requires compromise from a lot of people.

As we know from the past people don't always take kindly to partition.

Although, the population might take anything right now if it means the return of some kind of normality.

I suppose the introduction of a democratic vote would be out of the question?

Login to get fewer ads

"The war in Yemen must end," on 00:02 - Feb 5 with 656 viewsGuthrum

"The war in Yemen must end," on 23:44 - Feb 4 by jeera

Sure but then that still requires compromise from a lot of people.

As we know from the past people don't always take kindly to partition.

Although, the population might take anything right now if it means the return of some kind of normality.

I suppose the introduction of a democratic vote would be out of the question?

Probably.

"The war in Yemen must end," on 00:14 - Feb 5 with 650 viewsjeera

"The war in Yemen must end," on 00:02 - Feb 5 by Guthrum

Probably.

So who's going to take control of this situation you reckon?

It's been too complex for me to keep up with, as it's not only a matter of Saleh and his successor, but one of flipping Sunnis and Shias, (again, why can't they just agree on an interpretation of their 'let's pretend' book and be done with it?).

And the rebels aren't going to just give up what they've gained and go home.

But this, look: "The UN had verified the deaths of at least 7,700 civilians by March 2020, with most caused by Saudi-led coalition air strikes.

Monitoring groups believe the death toll is far higher. The US-based Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED) said in October 2019 that it had recorded more than 100,000 fatalities, including 12,000 civilians killed in direct attacks.

More than 23,000 fatalities were reported in 2019, making it the second most lethal year of the war so far."

Insane, absolutely insane.

"The war in Yemen must end," on 13:52 - Feb 5 with 483 viewsGuthrum

"The war in Yemen must end," on 00:14 - Feb 5 by jeera

So who's going to take control of this situation you reckon?

It's been too complex for me to keep up with, as it's not only a matter of Saleh and his successor, but one of flipping Sunnis and Shias, (again, why can't they just agree on an interpretation of their 'let's pretend' book and be done with it?).

And the rebels aren't going to just give up what they've gained and go home.

But this, look: "The UN had verified the deaths of at least 7,700 civilians by March 2020, with most caused by Saudi-led coalition air strikes.

Monitoring groups believe the death toll is far higher. The US-based Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED) said in October 2019 that it had recorded more than 100,000 fatalities, including 12,000 civilians killed in direct attacks.

More than 23,000 fatalities were reported in 2019, making it the second most lethal year of the war so far."

Insane, absolutely insane.

The Saudis and the Iranians, being the chief sponsors of each side. They are the ones who can put pressure on to bring the various factions to the table (e.g. by witholding weapons supplies, air support, training or safe bases).

"The war in Yemen must end," on 14:06 - Feb 5 with 467 viewsGlasgowBlue

"The war in Yemen must end," on 13:52 - Feb 5 by Guthrum

The Saudis and the Iranians, being the chief sponsors of each side. They are the ones who can put pressure on to bring the various factions to the table (e.g. by witholding weapons supplies, air support, training or safe bases).

Yep. Just like in Syria, it's a proxy war between Iran and Saudi.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

"The war in Yemen must end," on 14:08 - Feb 5 with 462 viewsWeWereZombies

"The war in Yemen must end," on 14:06 - Feb 5 by GlasgowBlue

Yep. Just like in Syria, it's a proxy war between Iran and Saudi.

I though the war in Syria was proxy between Russia and the United States (with each side trying not to get done over by ISIS).

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

"The war in Yemen must end," on 14:11 - Feb 5 with 457 viewsSwansea_Blue

That'd be bad timing for us. Liz Truss has just sanctioned weapons sales to the Saudis again.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"The war in Yemen must end," on 14:14 - Feb 5 with 448 viewsGuthrum

"The war in Yemen must end," on 14:08 - Feb 5 by WeWereZombies

I though the war in Syria was proxy between Russia and the United States (with each side trying not to get done over by ISIS).

There were several proxy wars going on simultaneously in Syria, alongside local conflicts and rogue insurgencies. An utter mess.

"The war in Yemen must end," on 14:18 - Feb 5 with 439 viewsGlasgowBlue

"The war in Yemen must end," on 14:08 - Feb 5 by WeWereZombies

Iran (with Russia) backed and aided Bashar al-Assad. Whilst most of the rebel groups were Saudi funded.

Iraq was always a counter to Iran in the region. With the Americans taking out Sadam , the Shia influence in Iraq has grown and the Saudis and Iranians have both tried to dominate the middle east.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024