Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christopher Plummer RIP 18:24 - Feb 5 with 667 viewsFtnfwest

Always thought his ‘Wellington’ in ‘Waterloo’ was superb.
Christopher Plummer RIP on 19:33 - Feb 5 with 596 viewsGlasgowBlue

R.I,P.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Christopher Plummer RIP on 20:07 - Feb 5 with 572 viewsSteve_M

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Christopher Plummer RIP on 21:19 - Feb 5 with 519 viewsNthQldITFC

"By God sir, I've lost me leg!"

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Christopher Plummer RIP on 21:45 - Feb 5 with 504 viewsChurchman

Christopher Plummer RIP on 21:19 - Feb 5 by NthQldITFC

"By God sir, I've lost me leg!"

Lord Uxbridge. His leg was smashed by grape shot and the amputation knife was rather blunt. He got an articulated replacement leg and the original was buried.

Christopher Plummer was excellent as Wellington an a good counterpoint to Steiger’s Napoleon. Enjoyed that film. Charge of the Scots Greys, Squares, French heavy cavalry, the Old Guard, defence of Hougemont...
Christopher Plummer RIP on 21:53 - Feb 5 with 492 viewsNthQldITFC

Christopher Plummer RIP on 21:45 - Feb 5 by Churchman

Lord Uxbridge. His leg was smashed by grape shot and the amputation knife was rather blunt. He got an articulated replacement leg and the original was buried.

Christopher Plummer was excellent as Wellington an a good counterpoint to Steiger’s Napoleon. Enjoyed that film. Charge of the Scots Greys, Squares, French heavy cavalry, the Old Guard, defence of Hougemont...

Yes, wasn't Wellesley's reply "By God sir, so you have!"?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Christopher Plummer RIP on 22:05 - Feb 5 with 488 viewsChurchman

Christopher Plummer RIP on 21:53 - Feb 5 by NthQldITFC

Yes, wasn't Wellesley's reply "By God sir, so you have!"?

It was!

Most of Wellington’s staff were killed or wounded that day. Wellington was lucky to survive. It was a time when generals had to be on the battlefields, not miles behind the lines unlike WW1 100 years later.

The story of Thomas Picton was interesting. He was portrayed by Jack Hawkins and goes into battle dressed in a frock coat. In real life he did that not because he was eccentric or nuts, but because his uniform had got lost in transit. He was, like his film character, killed.

One of the most interesting characters was Marshal Ney. About as brave a man as you could get he had a succession of horses killed from under him. Sadly for him, he was really over promoted and wasn’t suitable for high command, like Bonaparte’s other Marshals present that day. After the surrender he was shot by firing squad in a backstreet in Paris.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024