Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Build the team around Alan Judge? 15:17 - Mar 7 with 2653 viewsEl_Fenix

In an earlier thread, Nthsuffolkblue posed the question "Did Judge's bad news affect the performance at all?"

A related question is: "Did Judge's absence yesterday affect the performance at all?" My answer is "Yes, rather obviously". When playing in his preferred central role, Alan Judge brings guile and energy to the team, and makes other players, including James Norwood, more effective. I think that Paul Cook could build a team around Alan Judge, in a similar way to how Don Revie deployed Johnny Giles in the great Leeds teams of the late 1960's and early 1970's.

My perspective on personnel issues is influenced by the fact that professional sport franchises in the United States are notoriously unsentimental about personnel decisions. With US sensibilities, I would expect ITFC to release Luke Chambers, Cole Skuse, Freddie Sears and Emyr Hughes when their contracts expire, and Kayden Jackson and Gwion Edwards to move to other teams as soon as they can. I would expect Janoi Donacien to be offered a new contract, to be a cost-effective back up to injury-prone Kane Vincent-Young; and John Nolan to be retained as part of a midfield 'squad'.

As a manager in League One, I would consider the current goal keepers and a no-frills back four of Kenlock, Wilson, Nsiala and KVY/Donacien, to be adequate. I would drive the professional development of former academy players (e.g. Bishop, Downes, Dozzell, Lankester, Wolfenden, Dobra and El Mizouni) using an up-or-out approach. Assuming that some of them flourished, I would have the majority of a squad in place. Specific needs could be met during transfer windows. I would not sign more than two or three loan players.

It will be very interesting to see how Paul Cook proceeds.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 23:17 - Mar 7 with 260 viewsGarv

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 20:02 - Mar 7 by Herbivore

It's not the roaming that's the issue per se, it's more that he hasn't been very good for the 2 and a bit years that he's been here. Nowhere near enough goals or assists for a player who is given the licence he is given to play without much positional discipline. He's had a decent few weeks lately and that's great, but it's not enough to warrant building a team around him.

I probably agree. Depends what defines 'building a team around'. If it means him being a key player in a play offs/promotion push this season, yes, if it means playing him every week for the next 1-2 years, clearly not.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 00:20 - Mar 8 with 250 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I agree with a lot of what Phoenix_Rising is saying.

Judge has not been great since arriving, nor has he been as bad as a lot of TWTDers make out. He has the class but needs to show it consistently. Played in the central attacking role he will be important in our push for the remainder of this season. His form could be the difference in whether we are successful.

He has also, in the past, been a pretty decent Championship player and is proven at that level. He has never relied on pace; more on vision and skill. Despite his age there is no reason why he shouldn't be a major contributor next season, whichever division we are in.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 08:31 - Mar 8 with 208 viewsfergalsharkey

Loon.

Poll: Cook out?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024