Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol 11:31 - Mar 22 with 632 viewsOldsmoker

It seems there was a bit of a fracas in Bristol on Sunday evening.
Protestors objecting to the new Policing act were shouting "Kill the Bill".
Seems some of them misunderstood what that meant and torched a police van and damaged 11 others. 20 officers injured - no record of how many protesters were injured.
The unexpected thing from this was that the Police showed restraint and didn't pile in. They took a hands-off approach for the climate protests in 2019 when they agreed with the protestors which roads they could lie down in and obstruct traffic.
When this new bill becomes law I suspect this approach will change.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Bristol on 11:41 - Mar 22 with 594 viewsSteve_M

The police in Bristol seem to have policed sensitively and in a non-provocative manner yesterday. As they did when the Colston statue was pulled down, making arrests only afterwards rather than inflaming tensions.

No doubt Pritti Patel and Cressida Dick are horrified at such sensible, reactive policing.

Those who attacked police last night are scum btw.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Bristol on 11:53 - Mar 22 with 556 viewsRyorry

Bristol on 11:41 - Mar 22 by Steve_M

The police in Bristol seem to have policed sensitively and in a non-provocative manner yesterday. As they did when the Colston statue was pulled down, making arrests only afterwards rather than inflaming tensions.

No doubt Pritti Patel and Cressida Dick are horrified at such sensible, reactive policing.

Those who attacked police last night are scum btw.

You have to wonder who those attacking the police last night were.

Gives neutrals & those who were supporting the Policing Bill anyway, all the ammunition (sorry, not being facetious, genuinely can't think of a suitable altrnative word) they need to carry it through.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bristol on 11:58 - Mar 22 with 543 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm glad people are waking up and voicing their displeasure about some elements of the Bill. I'm not glad they're attacking the old bill and smashing the place up though. All this does is undermine legitimate protests that are under threat by the new Bill. It's just an own goal imo and hardens the resolve of the govt and their supporters to take us more towards an authoritarian state.

And yes, the protest was unfortunately named.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bristol on 12:00 - Mar 22 with 538 viewswkj

I have to admit, when I first saw the phrase "Kill the Bill" I thought it was a strong protest about the failings of the Police in the murder of Sarah Everard. I am in no way surprised it escalated, as some numbskulls probably thought it was about having a dust up with the 'filth'.

That said, I do think this bill is a disgusting assault on freedom of expression. (Before you downvote this Paz, I am including your lot in this too). The very fact that peaceful protests are trying to be regulated by law is a major step back for society.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Bristol on 12:02 - Mar 22 with 528 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bristol on 12:00 - Mar 22 by wkj

I have to admit, when I first saw the phrase "Kill the Bill" I thought it was a strong protest about the failings of the Police in the murder of Sarah Everard. I am in no way surprised it escalated, as some numbskulls probably thought it was about having a dust up with the 'filth'.

That said, I do think this bill is a disgusting assault on freedom of expression. (Before you downvote this Paz, I am including your lot in this too). The very fact that peaceful protests are trying to be regulated by law is a major step back for society.

I thought it was an meeting of the Uma Thurman fan club that had got out of hand

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bristol on 12:53 - Mar 22 with 445 viewswkj

Bristol on 12:02 - Mar 22 by Swansea_Blue

I thought it was an meeting of the Uma Thurman fan club that had got out of hand

Either that or a group of people that haven't realised that ITV have already killed the bill.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024