Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Skynews reporting Chauvin verdict in 45 mins... 20:51 - Apr 20 with 3775 viewsbluelagos

Fingers crossed

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Skynews reporting Chauvin verdict in 45 mins... on 15:30 - Apr 21 with 364 viewsbluelagos

Skynews reporting Chauvin verdict in 45 mins... on 14:35 - Apr 21 by factual_blue

I don't think you get charged with both in the UK. The CPS would, I think, direct which charge to bring.

If the more serious charge of murder, then the alternative offence of manslaughter can be introduced and argued in court. Sometimes the prosecution might accept that proposition (if put forward by the defence), other times not. Equally the judge may direct that the case proceeds on the basis of manslaughter.

I don't understand the US approach. I'd can see the 'back-up' charges argument, but surely once the most serious charge is proved (as was the case with Chauvin), then there's no point in proceeding with the other two. In other words, as soon as you hit a 'guilty' verdict, the other charges become irrelevant.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/homicide-murder-and-manslaughter

"If...the jury cannot reach a verdict in relation to the first count (murder), but return a verdict of guilty in relation to the alternative count (manslaughter), then the prosecution should not seek a retrial on the first count (murder)."

So you don't get sentenced for both, but both are considered / prosecuted together.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Skynews reporting Chauvin verdict in 45 mins... on 15:40 - Apr 21 with 340 viewsStokieBlue

Skynews reporting Chauvin verdict in 45 mins... on 14:04 - Apr 21 by bluelagos

I think what they were doing was making sure that if the jury found him not guilty of second degree murder, there was still the back up of him having to answer the charge of manslaughter.

Sometimes it happens if the UK where someone may be charged with both manslaughter and murder.

I also find this strange.

How can one be found guilty of murder with and without intent? Those seem mutually exclusive positions.

I would have thought that being found guilty of the maximum offence would mean that manslaughter would be dropped as it can't be true.

SB
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 15:42]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Skynews reporting Chauvin verdict in 45 mins... on 17:59 - Apr 21 with 289 viewsSpruceMoose

Skynews reporting Chauvin verdict in 45 mins... on 15:40 - Apr 21 by StokieBlue

I also find this strange.

How can one be found guilty of murder with and without intent? Those seem mutually exclusive positions.

I would have thought that being found guilty of the maximum offence would mean that manslaughter would be dropped as it can't be true.

SB
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 15:42]

Second degree murder - Not intending to kill Floyd but definitely intending to commit felony assault, one of the outcomes of which could be death.

Third degree murder with reckless disregard - Not actually intending to kill Floyd, but Chauvin must have known what he was doing could cause death, but didn't care.

Second degree manslaughter with gross negligence - No intent to kill but Chauvin's actions were carried out with a high degree of negligence causing a danger to Floyd's safety.

I think when set out like that the convictions make a little more sense.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024