Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Honest question... 12:26 - May 15 with 2944 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Looking at Cook's record at previous clubs. He does do this blow everything up and start again approach. And it's got HIM success.

But long term has it benefited the clubs? None of them are tearing it up in the Prem are they? And after he's moved on they are more or less just pootling along where they were.

I wonder when you rip the heart and soul of out of a club as well as the parts of it that need to go and replace it with a group of entirely new players, how that works when Cook moves on. He doesn't appeared to have hung around at any club that long. 5 years at most. I doubt he sees us as his forever club, more of a stepping stone to better things.

Will we be back in League one? Or the wrong end of the championship? He seems to have brought bursts of real short term success, but nothing sustainable. Interesting to see how it pans out.

[Post edited 15 May 2021 12:27]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Honest question... on 16:53 - May 15 with 358 viewsSharkey

Honest question... on 14:59 - May 15 by leitrimblue

He's very big in ballybofey. To be honest he is very popular but left here very early in his career. Still puts his own money into Sligo whenever they in trouble. (Usually every year or 2)

I camped one night in Killybegs. I got the impression that they’re just waiting for the right moment to whack up a statue to rival Rory Gallagher’s up the road!
Honest question... on 16:58 - May 15 with 358 viewsnshearman1

Honest question... on 16:10 - May 15 by J2BLUE

The forum is hilarious.

What we're seeing now is a bigger version of when Cornell showed a bit of passion when saving a penalty and suddenly people were calling for him to be captain.

A couple of interviews from admittedly good club servants and suddenly we're tearing the heart and soul out of the club. It's laughable.

Agree that 'tearing the heart and soul out of the club' is hardly something can be laid at Cook's door, because Marcus Evans did a very good job of that himself. I very very much want Cook to succeed but his actions thus far have been underwhelming at best, and he keeps telling us how excited we're going to be. The facts are that he's just appointed two woefully inexperienced coaches - Gary Roberts and Kitman Craney - and the one experienced coach he has appointed has never coached a first team before and has an extremely dubious abusive personal past - not necessarily to be held against him, but not the most excitingly positive appointment either. In any management situation an objective onlooker would have to wonder whether he's appointing mates and yes-men above experience. On top of that, the treatment of Chambers in particular sounds dubious, and his inability to get more out of the players since he came in says as much to me about the Manager as it does about the players. I sincerely hope he's not all mouth and trousers. But dare I say it - oh yes I do - that this reminds me somewhat of Paul Hurst... Anyway, feel free to do the usual stuff about flouncers and big boy pants, this is a forum for opinions and that's mine thus far. Can't wait for PC to excite me, but not so far.
Honest question... on 17:15 - May 15 with 328 viewsleitrimblue

Honest question... on 16:53 - May 15 by Sharkey

I camped one night in Killybegs. I got the impression that they’re just waiting for the right moment to whack up a statue to rival Rory Gallagher’s up the road!

'i camped one night in Killybegs' not many people can say that. It's true he does have Rory Gallagher like status in Donegal. I lived in the house next door to where Rory Gallagher was born in Ballyshannon for a few months when first lived here. I had to confess I'd never heard of him previously
Honest question... on 17:16 - May 15 with 323 viewsBluesky

I think the heart and soul were long gone before Paul Cook came along. Let's wait and see.
Honest question... on 17:51 - May 15 with 291 viewsnshearman1

Honest question... on 17:15 - May 15 by leitrimblue

'i camped one night in Killybegs' not many people can say that. It's true he does have Rory Gallagher like status in Donegal. I lived in the house next door to where Rory Gallagher was born in Ballyshannon for a few months when first lived here. I had to confess I'd never heard of him previously

Loved Rory Gallagher, saw him several times.
Honest question... on 17:52 - May 15 with 291 viewsChurchman

Honest question... on 16:58 - May 15 by nshearman1

Agree that 'tearing the heart and soul out of the club' is hardly something can be laid at Cook's door, because Marcus Evans did a very good job of that himself. I very very much want Cook to succeed but his actions thus far have been underwhelming at best, and he keeps telling us how excited we're going to be. The facts are that he's just appointed two woefully inexperienced coaches - Gary Roberts and Kitman Craney - and the one experienced coach he has appointed has never coached a first team before and has an extremely dubious abusive personal past - not necessarily to be held against him, but not the most excitingly positive appointment either. In any management situation an objective onlooker would have to wonder whether he's appointing mates and yes-men above experience. On top of that, the treatment of Chambers in particular sounds dubious, and his inability to get more out of the players since he came in says as much to me about the Manager as it does about the players. I sincerely hope he's not all mouth and trousers. But dare I say it - oh yes I do - that this reminds me somewhat of Paul Hurst... Anyway, feel free to do the usual stuff about flouncers and big boy pants, this is a forum for opinions and that's mine thus far. Can't wait for PC to excite me, but not so far.

So you think Cook is the same calibre of manager as Hurst and the club’s situation parallels that of summer 2018. Fine, it’s a view. If we start the season well, will you be giving Cook and his coaching team credit?

People talk about ‘tearing the heart and soul’ out of the club because a lot is changing, including a couple of long serving players with a combined age of 70 leaving. One thing Ipswich were known for was never sacking a manager until Duncan got kicked out in the late 80’s. There were some on here wanting Cook gone after a month with somebody else’s disgrace of a team, so you’ve been very patient.
Honest question... on 18:16 - May 15 with 276 viewsSharkey

Honest question... on 17:51 - May 15 by nshearman1

Loved Rory Gallagher, saw him several times.

Lucky you! In Ipswich?
Honest question... on 20:54 - May 15 with 249 viewsnshearman1

Honest question... on 17:52 - May 15 by Churchman

So you think Cook is the same calibre of manager as Hurst and the club’s situation parallels that of summer 2018. Fine, it’s a view. If we start the season well, will you be giving Cook and his coaching team credit?

People talk about ‘tearing the heart and soul’ out of the club because a lot is changing, including a couple of long serving players with a combined age of 70 leaving. One thing Ipswich were known for was never sacking a manager until Duncan got kicked out in the late 80’s. There were some on here wanting Cook gone after a month with somebody else’s disgrace of a team, so you’ve been very patient.

Slightly stirring it there but absolutely yes I'll be on here (when I do visit) admitting I'm wrong and praising Cook and his inexperienced backroom staff to the skies. I'll be very glad to do so because all I want is for Town to be successful.
Login to get fewer ads

Honest question... on 20:56 - May 15 with 248 viewsnshearman1

Honest question... on 18:16 - May 15 by Sharkey

Lucky you! In Ipswich?

Bristol - we moved from Ipswich to Bristol when I was about to enter my teens, and Town got promotion to Division 1 - scarred me for life. And watched Tony Palmer's wonderful and shockingly forgotten film, Irish Tour '74.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024