Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Macauley Bonne - An Insight 11:07 - Jun 26 with 1782 viewsTomTheWriter

We were linked with Bonne back in May, at the time was discussed in a swap deal with Dozzell. Some of the article is entered around that possibility, but the majority is about the player himself.

No doubting his skillset, I was hesitant before about his ability to play as a lone striker, but have been convinced by both QPR and Charlton fans that he can play the role very well.

Anyhow, check out my article below for all the necessary information about Macauley Bonne, including his: prolific non-league days, shock Championship move and his impressive aerial ability.

https://taleoftwofootballs.com/?p=559

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:11 - Jun 26 with 1722 viewsVic

How much of an upgrade on Norwood is he? I’m not sure. Defo sounds better than Jackson or Sears (as he is now), but I’d still like to think we go for someone with an even more consistent goal scoring record. Maybe too much to hope for whilst we’re still in Lg 1.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:16 - Jun 26 with 1657 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:11 - Jun 26 by Vic

How much of an upgrade on Norwood is he? I’m not sure. Defo sounds better than Jackson or Sears (as he is now), but I’d still like to think we go for someone with an even more consistent goal scoring record. Maybe too much to hope for whilst we’re still in Lg 1.

I agree that on paper he is an underwhelming signing. He does have Championship experience but is he really good enough to be a good Championship player in a season or so? If he can perform a role (especially as back-up) I guess that's fine. As for a goal-scoring record, there are so many factors that feed into that. There are players like McGoldrick at Forest and Murphy before he joined us who have had very low ratios but who have then gone on to score well.

Overall, unconvinced but time will tell. I definitely expect him to be an upgrade on Drinan and he is realistically our next option behind Norwood at present.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:18 - Jun 26 with 1634 viewschrismakin

Youd have to sign something special to get more than what Norwood would offer if he has a fully fit season.

He hasnt been one for having much time off apart from when joining us yet he still has quote an impressive goal return v starts.

A fully fit Norwood and a new midfield behind him and he is that striker that everyone craves.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:44 - Jun 26 with 1502 viewsTomTheWriter

I don’t know in comparison to Norwood, but as you’ve stated he is far above the level that Jackson and Drinan would offer.

Cook has two options really for the route he will take when it comes to a striker. He will either spend big on someone who has proven their scoring ability in League One, like a Colby Bishop, or he will source out someone who hasnt scored as many goals, in the hope of turning them into something better.

When it comes to Bonne, we’ll be (possibly) getting someone who has proven his talent in the Championship already, scoring 11 goals in his first season outside of the National League for Charlton. If it’s a loan, I’m more than happy to bring in someone like him, and use the remaining money on a new CB, LB or LW

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:46 - Jun 26 with 1483 viewsITFC_Jenx

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:44 - Jun 26 by TomTheWriter

I don’t know in comparison to Norwood, but as you’ve stated he is far above the level that Jackson and Drinan would offer.

Cook has two options really for the route he will take when it comes to a striker. He will either spend big on someone who has proven their scoring ability in League One, like a Colby Bishop, or he will source out someone who hasnt scored as many goals, in the hope of turning them into something better.

When it comes to Bonne, we’ll be (possibly) getting someone who has proven his talent in the Championship already, scoring 11 goals in his first season outside of the National League for Charlton. If it’s a loan, I’m more than happy to bring in someone like him, and use the remaining money on a new CB, LB or LW

Agreed.
Strikers cost more. Happy to work the budget by using loan signings for that and then have the budget for permanent options further back.

Still think loan to buy will be used this season.
Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:48 - Jun 26 with 1444 viewsTomTheWriter

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:16 - Jun 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

I agree that on paper he is an underwhelming signing. He does have Championship experience but is he really good enough to be a good Championship player in a season or so? If he can perform a role (especially as back-up) I guess that's fine. As for a goal-scoring record, there are so many factors that feed into that. There are players like McGoldrick at Forest and Murphy before he joined us who have had very low ratios but who have then gone on to score well.

Overall, unconvinced but time will tell. I definitely expect him to be an upgrade on Drinan and he is realistically our next option behind Norwood at present.

Making the jump from the National League to the Championship, to me, shows that the kid is confident and ambitious. Ideal attributes for your striker. He did very well with Charlton, and then struggled with QPR.

I think a mental reset for someone like Bonne or a Cosgrove is needed, dropping down a league to try and find their level. Think of Kayden, if you forget this season, he had 15G 15A in L2, 11G 7A in L1 two years back, and 3G 2A in the Championship. His level is L1, playing with a striker.

Bonne scored 22 & 23 goals for Leyton Orient, then struck 11 for Charlton. I think a season back ‘home’, learning from a proper finisher like Norwood could be good for him.

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:51 - Jun 26 with 1401 viewsTomTheWriter

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:18 - Jun 26 by chrismakin

Youd have to sign something special to get more than what Norwood would offer if he has a fully fit season.

He hasnt been one for having much time off apart from when joining us yet he still has quote an impressive goal return v starts.

A fully fit Norwood and a new midfield behind him and he is that striker that everyone craves.

For me, the most important positions to fill from now on is the attacking midfielder and left winger behind the striker. You’ve got Harper and Evans in, Burns of the right. A fully fit KVY and Wolf at the back. We know Holy can do a job, so the keeper isn’t the most important for me

The one area we don’t have someone anymore, and have lacked since the days of Fraser and Lawrence, is a exciting winger to cut in from the left, creating loads of chances, running at defenders. I’d like us to put money more towards that position, and use the loan market to support Norwood

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:53 - Jun 26 with 1385 viewsTomTheWriter

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:46 - Jun 26 by ITFC_Jenx

Agreed.
Strikers cost more. Happy to work the budget by using loan signings for that and then have the budget for permanent options further back.

Still think loan to buy will be used this season.

Strikers cost a bomb, Posh have proved that signing the right striker can make you a lot of money, but you have to sacrifice a good chunk of change to get the right one. You look at the squad now, I can see us using the loan market for a LB and a ST, maybe using the free agent market for a CB and another LB, and then looking at the GK, CAM and LW for permanent, costly transfers.

Login to get fewer ads

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:55 - Jun 26 with 1367 viewslordsambuca

Thank,s thats a useful analysis. I enjoy your articles btw - keep up the good work

If he is not seen as the out and out number 1 this probably seems a good move. I note that he seems to have improved his fitness from his time as a youth. Also has played on the right wing so may have some of that versatility Cook is looking for. In summary could be a good signing as an alternative option up front to Norwood, though we possibly need one other in the absence of a youth/academy player that is on the fringes.

It can't hurt that he is still a supporter.
Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:59 - Jun 26 with 1324 viewsTomTheWriter

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:55 - Jun 26 by lordsambuca

Thank,s thats a useful analysis. I enjoy your articles btw - keep up the good work

If he is not seen as the out and out number 1 this probably seems a good move. I note that he seems to have improved his fitness from his time as a youth. Also has played on the right wing so may have some of that versatility Cook is looking for. In summary could be a good signing as an alternative option up front to Norwood, though we possibly need one other in the absence of a youth/academy player that is on the fringes.

It can't hurt that he is still a supporter.

Thank you for your support, appreciate that.

He seems like the kind of striker that needs to get his confidence back, the swagger that he had when he signed for Charlton. There is a talented player in him, just needs the right manager to get it out of him.

Think he could learn a lot about grit and bite from Norwood, who in turn could learn could get Bonne to teach him how to be a threat from aerial deliveries.

In my ideal world, i’d like to see us have Norwood + a very good L1 level striker (Bonne, Cosgrove, Bishop, Pigott) + 1 young Prem loan, who can play out wide + Drinan/Simpson.

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 12:02 - Jun 26 with 1278 viewsGuthrum

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 11:51 - Jun 26 by TomTheWriter

For me, the most important positions to fill from now on is the attacking midfielder and left winger behind the striker. You’ve got Harper and Evans in, Burns of the right. A fully fit KVY and Wolf at the back. We know Holy can do a job, so the keeper isn’t the most important for me

The one area we don’t have someone anymore, and have lacked since the days of Fraser and Lawrence, is a exciting winger to cut in from the left, creating loads of chances, running at defenders. I’d like us to put money more towards that position, and use the loan market to support Norwood

Or even a 2014/15 era Mings-style left wing-back, who can take the ball forward and cross it in, making use of a more niggly wide player to interchange passes, cause trouble and cover where necessary (the Stephen Hunt/Jay Tabb role).
[Post edited 26 Jun 2021 12:02]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 12:25 - Jun 26 with 1117 viewsTomTheWriter

Macauley Bonne - An Insight on 12:02 - Jun 26 by Guthrum

Or even a 2014/15 era Mings-style left wing-back, who can take the ball forward and cross it in, making use of a more niggly wide player to interchange passes, cause trouble and cover where necessary (the Stephen Hunt/Jay Tabb role).
[Post edited 26 Jun 2021 12:02]

Stuart Watson casually through the name Ian Maatsen out into the KOA world from his podcast, partially seen as a random punt but actually being an inspired selection.

Maatsen played fairly well for Charlton last season, featuring at both left back and left wing. He has very similar stats to that of Kenlock, but just bests him in Interceptions, Dribbles, Passes, Tackles, Shots.

We know Cook likes loans, and has strong connections with Chelsea. Would love to see this guy be the left back this season, then look for a permanent another season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024