Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Mariner - 35 England caps 18:30 - Jul 10 with 810 viewsBarcaBlue

I thought he had more than 35. A decent number, and a decent goal return but I would have guessed more.

Trying to think who would he be competing with at the time - Tony Woodcock, Trevor Francis, Peter Withe, Bob Latchford, maybe others I've forgotten. With the exception of Francis perhaps, none as good as Mariner. Seems he should have got more caps.
Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 18:38 - Jul 10 with 778 viewsWD19

Keegan and latterly Blissett and Hately.

……and fewer games with fewer substitutions giving less opportunity to rack up appearances like today.
Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 18:41 - Jul 10 with 775 viewsgtsb1966

Talking of Bob Latchford, he gave an interview after he had retired and said the hardest opponent he had played against was Kevin Beattie.
Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 18:44 - Jul 10 with 762 viewsEnigma_Blue

Keegan played for England up until 1982 so up until then Mariner was competing with those other players you mentioned to partner Keegan upfront.
I think Gary Birtles and Cyrille Regis won a few caps in the early 80s as well.

I could be wrong but I think Mariner scored 11 goals from his first 22 appearances but only managed another 2 from his last 13 appearances.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 18:57]
Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 21:00 - Jul 10 with 659 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 21:24 - Jul 10 with 623 viewsBarcaBlue

Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 21:00 - Jul 10 by BryanPlug

I wasn' really comparing his caps to present day internationals rather it struck me as a bit low compared to ones at the time. Trevor Francis for example got 52 caps and scored fewer goals. If I was to have guessed, I'd have thought Mariner would have at least 50 caps.

Just struck me the number was relatively low for the player he was.
Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 21:31 - Jul 10 with 615 viewsitfcjoe

Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 21:00 - Jul 10 by BryanPlug

They had as many friendlies or there abouts, just a lot less qualifiers - there were only about 25 countries in Europe for a start. Groups of 3 in qualifiers

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 22:24 - Jul 10 with 559 viewsBryanPlug

Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 21:31 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

They had as many friendlies or there abouts, just a lot less qualifiers - there were only about 25 countries in Europe for a start. Groups of 3 in qualifiers

Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 22:29 - Jul 10 with 549 viewsParisBlue

Woodcock, Birtles and David Johnson were all picked ahead of Mariner in the 1980 Euros.

I think the emergence of Mark Hateley signalled the end of his international career.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 22:30 - Jul 10 with 547 viewsBryanPlug

Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 21:24 - Jul 10 by BarcaBlue

I wasn' really comparing his caps to present day internationals rather it struck me as a bit low compared to ones at the time. Trevor Francis for example got 52 caps and scored fewer goals. If I was to have guessed, I'd have thought Mariner would have at least 50 caps.

Just struck me the number was relatively low for the player he was.

Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 22:52 - Jul 10 with 527 viewsBonchosBicycle

Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 18:41 - Jul 10 by gtsb1966

Talking of Bob Latchford, he gave an interview after he had retired and said the hardest opponent he had played against was Kevin Beattie.

Paul definitely should have had more caps, but I think Latchford was even harder done by. Can't say I remember why he wasn't capped more but he was a fantastic player. Scored a ridiculous amount of goals for Everton in the late 70s.
Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 22:54 - Jul 10 with 526 viewsGuthrum

Paul Mariner - 35 England caps on 21:31 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

According to this site ( http://englandfootballonline.com/matchrsl/Match.html ), there were 91 England fixtures between Mariner's debut and his final cap, of which he played 38.5%. Which, if one allows for injuries, competition from rivals for the shirt and managers wanting to try out alternatives, is not a bad share.

Also worth noting that 25 out of his 35 caps came in a period between May 1980 and February 1983, when he only missed ten England games.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024