Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit summary 19:59 - Sep 4 with 2657 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Brexit summary on 15:11 - Sep 5 with 345 viewsDanTheMan

Brexit summary on 14:28 - Sep 5 by galacticoblue

Maybe this?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9946817/Now-lorry-driver-shortage-hits-

And wider supply chain issues, this?
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/31/business/supply-chain-shortages-pandemic-july
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 14:31]

Yes, they seem more relevant.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Brexit summary on 15:37 - Sep 5 with 320 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Brexit summary on 15:11 - Sep 5 by DanTheMan

Yes, they seem more relevant.

Ah, so there is a Mail article claiming there is a shortage in some other European countries.

Not sure that is the same as suggesting they are suffering anything like the same problems we are. In fact, as Baza suggested, a quick search shows they aren't. Hence why he couldn't post any link.

Brexit summary on 15:39 - Sep 5 with 318 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit summary on 11:19 - Sep 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

As I have nothing better to do.....
https://www.bifa.org/news/articles/2018/dec/truck-driver-shortage-crisis-now-spr

Quite. As that article points out, Germany and other EU countries have extra flexibility in labour supply and have been able to partially offset domestic driver shortages. We can’t (edit - we can’t under our current government’s anti-foreigner policy). Things would be bad enough with just the underlying industry shortages and Covid. Throw in the 30,000 ‘lost’ overseas drivers since we left the EU and it’s the perfect storm that’s worse than it needed to have been.

It’s not a difficult issue to understand, so I’m not sure why we’re seeing primary school level ‘debating’ on this car crash of a thread.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 15:46]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit summary on 15:53 - Sep 5 with 307 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Brexit summary on 15:39 - Sep 5 by Swansea_Blue

Quite. As that article points out, Germany and other EU countries have extra flexibility in labour supply and have been able to partially offset domestic driver shortages. We can’t (edit - we can’t under our current government’s anti-foreigner policy). Things would be bad enough with just the underlying industry shortages and Covid. Throw in the 30,000 ‘lost’ overseas drivers since we left the EU and it’s the perfect storm that’s worse than it needed to have been.

It’s not a difficult issue to understand, so I’m not sure why we’re seeing primary school level ‘debating’ on this car crash of a thread.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 15:46]

"I could post a link but why don't you look and find it for yourself? ... It's out there somewhere."

"Here it is, here's an article from 2018 that doesn't show what I am stretching for at all."

"OK, try this Mail article that has the right headline."

It is not really convincing.

Brexit summary on 15:54 - Sep 5 with 304 viewsBlueBadger

Brexit summary on 14:17 - Sep 5 by chicoazul

Cumming says that any attempt to rejoin would be immediately sabotaged by Grayling Lineker and the FBPE crowd and on this evidence, he’s exactly right. There were already some 60000 driver vacancies according to the RHA, and another 25000 odd didn’t get to take their tests and join in the last 18 months as they would do normally. The drivers lost due to Brexit and Covid are reckoned to be about 16000. Pubs have beer. Shops have fruit. Hyperbole like this does nothing but harden people against a return position.

Imagine being so thick that you think people telling you 'yeah, sh1t's worse now because of it' makes you double down on it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brexit summary on 16:15 - Sep 5 with 285 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit summary on 15:53 - Sep 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

"I could post a link but why don't you look and find it for yourself? ... It's out there somewhere."

"Here it is, here's an article from 2018 that doesn't show what I am stretching for at all."

"OK, try this Mail article that has the right headline."

It is not really convincing.

It's all the polarisation too. People seem incapable of understanding there's a range of factors at play. It's just an extension of the tribalism we've seen since people were divided on the issue during the referendum campaign. Once the impacts started to bite I thought people might be more open to a sensible discussion, but we're no closer to that at all. If anything things are getting worse as some people aren't even prepared to acknowledge the impacts.

The pro-EU sorts on the likes of Twitter don't help either, as they seem overly ready to blame everything at the door of Brexit, whereas it's only one of the things wrong with this country right now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024