Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Standard Ipswich 09:46 - Sep 14 with 4829 viewsOsborneOneNil

New American owners. Massive financial backing. Recruit one of the best squads seen at Div 3 level. Have a manager who most (me included) were totally DELIGHTED to acquire.

And we are 22nd with no wins. Wtf.

I’m not giving up on Cook, just yet, and I pray he gets this sorted as he seemed the clear and obvious choice….but I am worried. I’m clinging to the fact we are only 6 games in. That isn’t any sort of time for a completely new squad to get playing to a level. I know there are exceptions, such as Wigan, but it’s not a given.

Come on Town….time to stand up.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 10:28]
Standard Ipswich on 16:05 - Sep 14 with 802 viewsJackSted

Standard Ipswich on 10:19 - Sep 14 by BLUEBEAT

I really don’t get it.

Cook’s previous managerial record was good.

The new team is better than the old team in paper.

Just get the same vibes as Lambert era where he doesn’t know his best eleven and refuses to use 442.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

Get a witch doctor down to PR to do some sort of exorcism on the ground
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 16:06]

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Standard Ipswich on 16:49 - Sep 14 with 771 viewsBLUEBEAT

Standard Ipswich on 16:05 - Sep 14 by JackSted

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

Get a witch doctor down to PR to do some sort of exorcism on the ground
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 16:06]

May be worth a shot

I remember Barry Fry doing something similar in relation to a gypsy curse at Pboro or Brum a while back

I believe it involved urinating in each corner of the pitch
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 16:51]

Poll: W or W

Standard Ipswich on 17:04 - Sep 14 with 748 viewsJackSted

Standard Ipswich on 16:49 - Sep 14 by BLUEBEAT

May be worth a shot

I remember Barry Fry doing something similar in relation to a gypsy curse at Pboro or Brum a while back

Same thing happened for Bruce Grobbelaar at Liverpool.

Apparently he was told by a witchdoctor to urinate on each goalpost during his testimonial match at Anfield, but only managed to do it at one end and not the other (he said he got caught by the stewards lol)

Since that, Liverpool never won the league, until Bruce did a charity match at Anfield in 2018/19 and he bought a bottle of his own wee with him so he could splash it at the goalposts he missed. Next season Liverpool won the league for the first time hahahahaha

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Standard Ipswich on 17:27 - Sep 14 with 719 viewsBluedicea

It takes time.

I have helped set up and start a few businesses in my time. One was a restaurant, now my mate had bought it, it was a failing business but still had great potential.
We upgraded everything and hired all new staff, They were all professionals and a few had worked together before, after a great couple of opening nights, things slowed down.
This was mostly due to the staff, they were unfamiliar with each other, got in each other's way, the head chef didn't really know who he could trust properly to carry out the skills and quality he demanded. Which in turn affected the front of house, with wait times increasing and food not always to the highest standard that was set.
After a couple of weeks of this the manager, my mate, was ready to bin people. I convinced him to wait, that it would come good, because the quality was there, it was just simply these people didn't know and trust each other.
After a couple of closed doors party/meetings, things clicked. The staff felt more comfortable, they understood their roles better and things picked up, now my mate has a thriving restaurant.

Not the same as a football club, I know, but I'm guessing very few of you have ever really seen or been involved in such a large turnover of staff. The fact is 99% of the time, things never go right, it always takes some time to come good. The owners are not going to keep hold of failing staff, but they aren't just going to make another huge change so soon, their calculations will have targets by set dates that need to be achieved, it's only when these are missed that they will consider taking action.

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

Standard Ipswich on 17:32 - Sep 14 with 711 viewsKeno

Standard Ipswich on 17:27 - Sep 14 by Bluedicea

It takes time.

I have helped set up and start a few businesses in my time. One was a restaurant, now my mate had bought it, it was a failing business but still had great potential.
We upgraded everything and hired all new staff, They were all professionals and a few had worked together before, after a great couple of opening nights, things slowed down.
This was mostly due to the staff, they were unfamiliar with each other, got in each other's way, the head chef didn't really know who he could trust properly to carry out the skills and quality he demanded. Which in turn affected the front of house, with wait times increasing and food not always to the highest standard that was set.
After a couple of weeks of this the manager, my mate, was ready to bin people. I convinced him to wait, that it would come good, because the quality was there, it was just simply these people didn't know and trust each other.
After a couple of closed doors party/meetings, things clicked. The staff felt more comfortable, they understood their roles better and things picked up, now my mate has a thriving restaurant.

Not the same as a football club, I know, but I'm guessing very few of you have ever really seen or been involved in such a large turnover of staff. The fact is 99% of the time, things never go right, it always takes some time to come good. The owners are not going to keep hold of failing staff, but they aren't just going to make another huge change so soon, their calculations will have targets by set dates that need to be achieved, it's only when these are missed that they will consider taking action.

I'm sure I watched a programme about on TV

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Standard Ipswich on 18:23 - Sep 14 with 657 viewsChrisd

Standard Ipswich on 16:49 - Sep 14 by BLUEBEAT

May be worth a shot

It was when he was at Birmingham City.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Standard Ipswich on 18:26 - Sep 14 with 655 viewsBluedicea

Standard Ipswich on 17:32 - Sep 14 by Keno

I'm sure I watched a programme about on TV

Yeah, he's Gordon Ramsey, lol. Nah, twas just a place in Chelmsford not some cordon bleu stuff.

There's so many good examples out there, I just don't get why so many fans are wetting their knickers so soon, I understand the frustration over the years, I feel that too, but the fact is change rarely happens overnight, things with many moving parts, takes time to fully come together.

How many new projects really finish on time and on budget??

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

Standard Ipswich on 18:36 - Sep 14 with 646 viewsCokeIsKey

Standard Ipswich on 10:19 - Sep 14 by BLUEBEAT

I really don’t get it.

Cook’s previous managerial record was good.

The new team is better than the old team in paper.

Just get the same vibes as Lambert era where he doesn’t know his best eleven and refuses to use 442.

I was reading the Wigan forum and this post really stood out to me, it may be slightly biased towards Richardson but explains very well why things might not be working for Cook.

"In any coaching team managers and their staff play different roles to contribute to success. Some managers are involved in everything with their coaches almost being interchangeable assistants. While others are quite hands off with the on the grass coaching and their staff are vital to getting the side mechanically right while he focuses on transfers, decision making, motivating and leading. In those instances those coaches are often technically good but not leaders and the manager and coaches make up a good manager between them.

In this instances it seems that what Cook lost in Richardson, Barry, Colgan, Meace he hasn't been able to make up for it himself or find anyone who can fill the gaps he has.

While Richardson has either been able to takeover all of Cooks responsibility himself or find the staff able to do so.

Cook has been at Ipswich for quite a long time now he's not new and finding his feet and given a huge budget to sign quite literally a L1 dream team that should be able to win the league at a canter. Obviously with the quantity of new players he'll say he needs more time for it to gel, while that is a fair point you cant ignore what Cook inherited - a club in the play off mix - but their play off chances utterly collapsed on his arrival last season. So that is 2 completely different sets of players disasterously underperforming for him - is it the players or the coaching that is the issue?

When you look at what Richardson inherited, the circumstances, the budget and results - he had it worse in every way but managed to do a significantly better job. So I think it's pretty clear that regardless of if Cook manages to turn it around given time that Cook is missing Richardson a lot more than Richardson is missing Cook."

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Login to get fewer ads

Standard Ipswich on 08:10 - Sep 19 with 569 viewsOsborneOneNil

We stood up. Now let’s back it up.

Such a good feeling.
Standard Ipswich on 08:19 - Sep 19 with 547 viewsBluespeed225

With the loss of his Father this week, had his old man been ill for sometime? May have been affecting him, we don’t see him apart from interviews, we all know how domestic matters can impact performance at work. Hopefully it puts his mind at rest, supporters get behind him and him and ITFC help each other.
Standard Ipswich on 10:18 - Oct 20 with 448 viewsOsborneOneNil

Things have moved forward, nicely, in the 4 weeks or so since I posted this. Clear progression.

Let’s keep that going!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024