Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... 11:00 - Sep 27 with 882 viewsWeWereZombies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-58703128

'In an interview, Scott Morrison said he had "not made any final decisions" on attending, suggesting it was a burden.'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 11:20 - Sep 27 with 834 viewsDarth_Koont

“In July, a UN report ranked [Australia] last out of 170 member nations for its response to climate change.
And despite Australia's claims to the contrary, the UN has previously said the nation is not on track to reach its modest Paris Agreement targets of a 26-28% cut on 2005 levels by 2030.”

Yeah, I can see why he’s giving it the swerve. I did the same a couple of times when I hadn’t done my homework.

Pronouns: He/Him

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 11:52 - Sep 27 with 793 viewsWeWereZombies

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 11:20 - Sep 27 by Darth_Koont

“In July, a UN report ranked [Australia] last out of 170 member nations for its response to climate change.
And despite Australia's claims to the contrary, the UN has previously said the nation is not on track to reach its modest Paris Agreement targets of a 26-28% cut on 2005 levels by 2030.”

Yeah, I can see why he’s giving it the swerve. I did the same a couple of times when I hadn’t done my homework.

I am a bit exercised about this, and my thread title deliberately reflects the one UrbanBlue posted a day or two ago about Melbourne, having just watched a Panorama from last year on the Australian bush fires of 2019. It seems irresponsible to have climate related destruction taking the lives, homes and livelihoods of your citizens but not taking part in efforts to minimise the future effects.

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 12:05 - Sep 27 with 766 viewsDarth_Koont

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 11:52 - Sep 27 by WeWereZombies

I am a bit exercised about this, and my thread title deliberately reflects the one UrbanBlue posted a day or two ago about Melbourne, having just watched a Panorama from last year on the Australian bush fires of 2019. It seems irresponsible to have climate related destruction taking the lives, homes and livelihoods of your citizens but not taking part in efforts to minimise the future effects.

That and the Great Barrier Reef bleaching right on your doorstep. Seems particularly brain dead to not be more acutely aware of the cause-effect.

The problem is that most of the powers that be (and a lot of their support) will be dead by the time the bill comes around. So, trapped by the thinking of the past and uninvested in the future – that’s a pretty lethal combination for addressing climate change.

There are exceptions of course. It’s not an age thing but an attitude problem where there’s an unwillingness to change or even start to see things differently. And that affects a lot of the under 50s too.

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 12:21 - Sep 27 with 753 viewsgiant_stow

Isn't Australia big on coal and other heavy extractions? Must be hard going against that, but with all that sun and ever cheaper solar power, they have the resources to change surely.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 12:25 - Sep 27 with 745 viewsDarth_Koont

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 12:21 - Sep 27 by giant_stow

Isn't Australia big on coal and other heavy extractions? Must be hard going against that, but with all that sun and ever cheaper solar power, they have the resources to change surely.

That and mineral mining is a significant part of their export revenue. That’s the trap for them – how to get off the hamster wheel.

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 13:38 - Sep 27 with 698 viewsSwansea_Blue

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 12:25 - Sep 27 by Darth_Koont

That and mineral mining is a significant part of their export revenue. That’s the trap for them – how to get off the hamster wheel.

They've just approved the reopening of one coal site and have a whole load more new mining operations in the pipeline. They certainly don't seem to be going in the right direction.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 23:15 - Sep 27 with 642 viewsWeWereZombies

But then they would have to buy solar panels from China...

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 04:45 - Sep 28 with 605 viewsIPS_wich

Australia has the highest uptake of solar globally - the issue is that the electricity providers are state owned so government revenue has plummeted in the last 5 years - a lot of the incentives to take up solar have been removed.

Crazy really - it's not just solar as well. Australia is also quite windy and there's been no significant investment in wind power. Queensland in particular is heavily invested in Coal and it has become a key political issue in that state - Morrison could well lose the next federal election if he is seen to be undermining the coal industry.
Login to get fewer ads

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 07:54 - Sep 28 with 558 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Surely he will attend by zoom thus reducing his climate footprint and proving what a visionary he is!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 08:31 - Sep 28 with 530 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Australians have always been wanna-be Americans. Been getting worse over the last few years.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 09:42 - Sep 28 with 504 viewsSwansea_Blue

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 07:54 - Sep 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

Surely he will attend by zoom thus reducing his climate footprint and proving what a visionary he is!

They could subcontract to Glassers. I'm sure he can pick up a cork hat and didgeridoo in Glasgow. Job done.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 10:01 - Oct 15 with 362 viewsWeWereZombies

Meanwhile, not expecting to be in Glasgow... on 07:54 - Sep 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

Maybe he would have done if the awesome power of the TWTD forum (and, well, maybe some other elements of the media) had not been unleashed upon him:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-58907526

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024