Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? 01:30 - Oct 31 with 1753 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

4 added mins at the end of the first half. Ref forgot to play the minutes.

So brought the players out after half time, played the four additional minutes and then made them swap ends for another 45. Very strange.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 08:21 - Oct 31 with 1339 viewsEastTownBlue

I have yet to see it but the ref was the idiot who disallowed our goal against Wycombe a couple of years back.
Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 08:27 - Oct 31 with 1313 viewsHerbivore

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 08:21 - Oct 31 by EastTownBlue

I have yet to see it but the ref was the idiot who disallowed our goal against Wycombe a couple of years back.

Worst. Ref. Ever.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 08:44 - Oct 31 with 1257 viewsNBVJohn

…..stranger still, Aaron Drinan got a hat trick in that game!
Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 09:39 - Oct 31 with 1079 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I guess once I had been brought to his attention (presumably by the 4th Official who assists with timekeeping) he had two options, within the laws of the game:

1) said "I am the referee, it is solely for me to determine the point at which I blow the whistle to signal the end of the Half. I blew my whistle, therefore the Half ended."

2) said "I made a mistake. For the integrity of the game I need to ensure that the proper amount of injury time is played at the end of the First Half."

Option 2 was what he went with. The alternative might have been to add the 4 minutes to the injury time at the end of the Second Half, but teams are supposed to have equal time attacking both goals because of slopes or prevailing winds etc. I guess, too, there are integrity of the game issues around HT/FT betting, for example, which meant that he wanted to be clear of the difference between First Half added time, and the start of the Second Half.

So, having made an absolutely inexplicable mistake, I think he did the right thing, even though he must have known that it would it draw more attention to his mistake.

Did the Second Half added time start with a drop ball where the ball had been when he ended the 45 minutes, though? Or was there a Kick Off?
Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 09:48 - Oct 31 with 1052 viewsWickets

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 09:39 - Oct 31 by ArnoldMoorhen

I guess once I had been brought to his attention (presumably by the 4th Official who assists with timekeeping) he had two options, within the laws of the game:

1) said "I am the referee, it is solely for me to determine the point at which I blow the whistle to signal the end of the Half. I blew my whistle, therefore the Half ended."

2) said "I made a mistake. For the integrity of the game I need to ensure that the proper amount of injury time is played at the end of the First Half."

Option 2 was what he went with. The alternative might have been to add the 4 minutes to the injury time at the end of the Second Half, but teams are supposed to have equal time attacking both goals because of slopes or prevailing winds etc. I guess, too, there are integrity of the game issues around HT/FT betting, for example, which meant that he wanted to be clear of the difference between First Half added time, and the start of the Second Half.

So, having made an absolutely inexplicable mistake, I think he did the right thing, even though he must have known that it would it draw more attention to his mistake.

Did the Second Half added time start with a drop ball where the ball had been when he ended the 45 minutes, though? Or was there a Kick Off?

Teams had to change ends and then restarted with the usual kick off i think .
Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 09:54 - Oct 31 with 1022 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 09:48 - Oct 31 by Wickets

Sorry, should have said "First Half added time (after the break) start with a drop ball..."

Really hard to understand how it happened, when every other match he has gone through the routine of the added time being communicated to the Fourth Official and shown on the board.

Unless he REALLY needed a sh1t very badly indeed, and thought being a Question of Sport "What Happened Next?" in 5 years time was less embarrassing than doing a Lineker!
Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 10:19 - Oct 31 with 965 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 09:48 - Oct 31 by Wickets

I went to the game as friend is an Orient fan and tickets were £5.

Nothing was explained at the time, the second half just started with a drop ball with both teams shooting the same way as the first half. Then four minutes later the ref called for the team's to swap ends and the tannoy sarcastically announced the end of the first half.

Drinan had a goal ruled out for offside during the four minute spell, would have been a nightmare for skybet etc to work out the goal time if it had counted!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 11:47 - Oct 31 with 841 viewsRadlett_blue

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 09:39 - Oct 31 by ArnoldMoorhen

Indeed, once he realised his mistake, the referee applied the laws correctly, however farcical it may have looked.
I went to a Chelmsford City v Weymouth match in the 1970s & the ref blew for both half time & full time after about 40 minutes. Either his watch was running fast (refs are supposed to run a spare watch) or he had a hot date that evening.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 17:09 - Oct 31 with 699 viewsTheBlueGnu

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 08:21 - Oct 31 by EastTownBlue

..and the fourth official at Wycombe this coming Tuesday night

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 17:15 - Oct 31 with 684 viewsronnyd

Anyone seen what happened in the Leyton Orient game? on 17:09 - Oct 31 by TheBlueGnu

..and the fourth official at Wycombe this coming Tuesday night

Hope he reads his own board then.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024