Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… 13:43 - Dec 12 with 917 viewstractorshark

I imagine most on here would have stuck with Cook if they felt his successor was Neil Harris.
Fair comment or not?
If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 13:57 - Dec 12 with 860 viewsChurchman

Possibly, but for me one or the other isn’t really the issue. If Cook was failing (which he was) and the owners thought a change was needed, that’s one thing. When and how you make the change is the next thing along with of course who.

I had hoped somebody was lined up, but as the days have ticked by that looks less and less likely. If this is the case, it’s not looking great unless we get a huge slice of good fortune with who is appointed.

I would add that in the summer they were very good at keeping quiet what they were doing. In my view that’s a good thing. Who knows what the week holds. Hopefully something good.
If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 14:00 - Dec 12 with 856 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You are right (with your title but not your conclusion). Cook was such a failure in his last job while heavily backed that it is clear he would be a dreadful choice. Whether Harris is that inspiring is another question but you certainly wouldn't want to appoint a man who has just taken a club exactly the same us backwards.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 14:01]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 14:01 - Dec 12 with 846 viewsgazzer1999

Well it depends if you think Cook had been a success here, I personally think he has been a disaster since the day he walked in and his results prove this to be accurate. Harris would he be my choice? no but then neither would have been Cooke, Lambert et al since George, so unless he gets a chance we may never know. I still think they should move heaven and earth and get Tony Mowbray in, if nothing else it will initially help galvanise the supporters, from there you have a good base to mount a second half improvement of the season. One or two additions and exits and we should be good to go. And keep John McGreal involved at first team level.
If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 14:06 - Dec 12 with 811 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 14:01 - Dec 12 by gazzer1999

Well it depends if you think Cook had been a success here, I personally think he has been a disaster since the day he walked in and his results prove this to be accurate. Harris would he be my choice? no but then neither would have been Cooke, Lambert et al since George, so unless he gets a chance we may never know. I still think they should move heaven and earth and get Tony Mowbray in, if nothing else it will initially help galvanise the supporters, from there you have a good base to mount a second half improvement of the season. One or two additions and exits and we should be good to go. And keep John McGreal involved at first team level.

If there was any possibility of getting Mowbray in of course they should do everything possible to do it (with Veno of course, no more only bringing in half a team). However, I really can't see that being possible so I suspect they will focus their efforts elsewhere. Getting the right character with the right team around them is the most important thing.

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 14:13 - Dec 12 with 787 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Given the choice I'd have Cook.

But we have to remember what look like good appointments often turn out as duds and vice versa and sometimes managers just fit at a club so if it is Harris I'll give him the same crack I would another manager.

Ultimately of the next appointment is right we'll all forget about Cook pretty quick and regardless of whether you were in or out we all want success for tbe club so let's wait for the announcement and give them our backing

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 14:43 - Dec 12 with 725 viewsGuthrum

If the choice was Cook or Harris in March 2021, then probably so. But not in December, with the former's record of P16 W4 D7 L5 last season and P20 W7 D6 L7 this (with his own picked squad).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 16:34 - Dec 12 with 624 viewsArnieM

Cook wasn’t given enough time with his new squad , that’s my humble view anyway .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 16:41 - Dec 12 with 608 viewsFightingEssex

Absolutely fair comment, if we’re going to just appoint anyone to the job and not an upgrade then it’s all been naive and pointless. You watch ST sales and interest decline if they get this wrong.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Login to get fewer ads

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 16:52 - Dec 12 with 581 viewspennblue

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 16:34 - Dec 12 by ArnieM

Cook wasn’t given enough time with his new squad , that’s my humble view anyway .

I agree, all this talk of cook being a huge failure is ridiculous.

You can’t say someone has failed unless you have given them a fair crack at the whip.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 16:55 - Dec 12 with 564 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 16:52 - Dec 12 by pennblue

I agree, all this talk of cook being a huge failure is ridiculous.

You can’t say someone has failed unless you have given them a fair crack at the whip.

So Hurst didn't fail either, then?

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 17:13 - Dec 12 with 531 viewsGuthrum

If the choice was Cook or Harris, I doubt we’d have had a discussion… on 16:34 - Dec 12 by ArnieM

How much time should he have had before there was at least some sign of improvement and consistent building towards success?

Yes, there was a decent patch from mid September to the start of November. But four of the six victories were against teams now in the bottom seven of the division, plus games drawn or lost from leading positions (Accrington, Cambridge, Plymouth).

Thereafter came a slump enlivened only by the marginal defeat of last-placed Crewe and featuring some desperate Cup/Trophy performances against U21s and teams from League Two.

Hardly a sustained progression towards challenging for promotion from this division. All told, Cook had had 28 games to get things working at least tolerably with his new team he'd hired. Almost half a season, in terms of the League. How long should it have been allowed to go on?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024