Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A good high-level summary on virus evolution 10:58 - Jan 11 with 998 viewsStokieBlue

There has been a lot said recently about how viruses tend to get milder and that covid becoming endemic means we can now look to stop vaccinations.

This article does a pretty decent job of summarising the truths and fallacies of those two points for those that are interested:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/11/will-covid-19-become-less-dangerou

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 11:05 - Jan 11 with 938 viewsbluelagos

"Importantly, viral evolution is not a one-way street: Omicron did not evolve from Delta, and Delta didn’t evolve from Alpha — it is more random and unpredictable than that."

Can you explain that phrase Stokie?

(in laymans terms)
Cheers

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 11:21 - Jan 11 with 893 viewsStokieBlue

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 11:05 - Jan 11 by bluelagos

"Importantly, viral evolution is not a one-way street: Omicron did not evolve from Delta, and Delta didn’t evolve from Alpha — it is more random and unpredictable than that."

(in laymans terms)
Cheers

I think he's trying to say that there are many mutations of every variant and that these can then "recombine" to create other variants which aren't really direct links to the initial variant. It's looks like Omicron was a recombination of many variants which then retained the mutations from a number of those variants rather than a progression to a weaker form of Delta. Essentially it's not a linear march of progress in evolutionary terms which an animal improves over time to it's environment, it's a more random process than that.

If you think of a straight street where the houses progress in an orderly fashion through time with Victorian at the start up to new builds at the end. That is a linear progression of styles, one to the next, but then imagine lots of side alleys which go off and round the back with crazy random houses on them and then they rejoin the street further down with a whole new style of architecture and a completely different type of house. That house isn't really related to the march of styles along the street, it's a distinct evolution of a different idea but there it is on the street.

To be honest, I think that is a totally rubbish analogy but no time to think of a better on at the moment. I'll try to come up with one later.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 11:57 - Jan 11 with 821 viewsbluelagos

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 11:21 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

I think he's trying to say that there are many mutations of every variant and that these can then "recombine" to create other variants which aren't really direct links to the initial variant. It's looks like Omicron was a recombination of many variants which then retained the mutations from a number of those variants rather than a progression to a weaker form of Delta. Essentially it's not a linear march of progress in evolutionary terms which an animal improves over time to it's environment, it's a more random process than that.

If you think of a straight street where the houses progress in an orderly fashion through time with Victorian at the start up to new builds at the end. That is a linear progression of styles, one to the next, but then imagine lots of side alleys which go off and round the back with crazy random houses on them and then they rejoin the street further down with a whole new style of architecture and a completely different type of house. That house isn't really related to the march of styles along the street, it's a distinct evolution of a different idea but there it is on the street.

To be honest, I think that is a totally rubbish analogy but no time to think of a better on at the moment. I'll try to come up with one later.

SB

Look froward to it, cheers.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Great article, thanks for sharing (n/t) on 12:04 - Jan 11 with 796 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 12:20 - Jan 11 with 727 viewspointofblue

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 11:05 - Jan 11 by bluelagos

(in laymans terms)
Cheers

Sorry to interrupt the conversation but have you read George’s Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl? To me, the evolution of a virus reminds me of that.

George mixes one set of ingredients to a certain effect and is then asked to do it again, which results in a different outcome - he misses something out so it’s a variant of the original. He does it again but something else is missing - again, a variant of the original. The base remains the same each time but something else isn’t, whether it being down to mixing or timing, and therefore the impact on the body is different (though far more extreme in GMM than with Covid!) And the changes are random, there’s no logic to what is missed every time.

I’m not sure if that analogy is any help at all!

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 12:40 - Jan 11 with 686 viewsWeWereZombies

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 11:21 - Jan 11 by StokieBlue

SB

Think you have misrepresented evolutionary theory a bit at the end of your first paragraph - it is not so much a 'march of progress' as random mutations finding a best fit (i.e. 'survival of the fittest' is not that the strongest or most well developed necessarily survive, it is that the organisms that best fit the circumstances are most likely to survive, even if they seem weird and unlikely to those who were dominant in the previous set of circumstances.)

But this may not apply to COVID-19 as, far as I understand it, the jury is still out on whether a virus is a living thing or just a chance agglomeration of cellular matter.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 11:12 - Jan 13 with 457 viewsWeWereZombies

YouTube put this short video into my recommendations, and I have been keen to sign up to the ZOE app for dietary reasons as well as knowing two or three people who are providing data to their COVID-19 studies, you may find it timely and informative. I didn't know that there are twenty symptoms of Omicron for a start:

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 11:28 - Jan 13 with 438 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Here are 2 particularly grim reads from this morning....
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/13/my-bile-rises-as-im-asked-

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/12/long-covid-wife-suicide-gi

...the lottery of long covid symptoms.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

A good high-level summary on virus evolution on 11:33 - Jan 13 with 414 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.... in light of what you have posted and the seemingly time limited effectiveness of vaccines on variants do you have any real world suggestions on how we carry on as a functioning society going forward. Is it just a case of muddling through as the severity of each variant becomes apparent. Pretend you are answering somebody else if it helps...

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024