Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Hislop, Private Eye 13:50 - Jan 26 with 4337 viewsHARRY10

A telling clip that goes some way to explaining the culture of sleaze

Private Eye journalists were invited to give evidence at a Parliamentary select committee, examining how MPs could be less corrupt (my words)

If ever there were weasel words defending that very sleaze then Bernard Jenkin MP does just that (3.50)

It appears, to him, that MPs are not warned about what they do might be corrupt so they 'unwittingly' get hired by unscrupulous lobbyists. Lambs to the slaughter, we are led to believe.

A good watch is to see how PE rips him and another MP apart

24 mins in total
Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:20 - Jan 26 with 746 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:44 - Jan 26 by jeera

Ben Elton was popular when I was a kid. He was different, outspoken against the establishment, Thatcherism etc.

You would have probably really liked him!

Birthday sounds a good day, nice one.

I liked him almost as much as Billy Bragg!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:22 - Jan 26 with 733 viewsHARRY10

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:16 - Jan 26 by DanTheMan

I did remind me very much of "ignorance of the law" defence which is never exactly praised.

More so given he is a member of the legislative - tasked to introduce law into the country.

What came across is that both knew they were on the take, but hoped that some would be fooled by their weasel words.

Sadly therein lies the problem. Not necessarily with unscrupulous scumbags like these pair - but with idiot voters all too willing to doff their caps and mutter 'master knows best'
Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:23 - Jan 26 with 729 viewsDanTheMan

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:19 - Jan 26 by footers

He seemed to be implying that MPs were basically incapable of anything and shouldn't be held accountable for their actions whatsoever.

How's about this for a rule on lobbying and second jobs: ban it. Maybe that's simple enough for people to understand?

Yup, sounds good to me.

You could even make a small concession on allowing Doctors / Nurses to continue working for the NHS as long as it doesn't interfere with their primary role as an MP.

I did also find the clip fairly funny when they started talking about gifts people had received and two of them panicked a little and were at pains to point out how it was all very above-board, nothing to see here.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:23 - Jan 26 with 729 viewsjeera

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:20 - Jan 26 by BanksterDebtSlave

I liked him almost as much as Billy Bragg!

Did you like Billy Bragg though? Just checking for clarity.

I went to see him (Bragg) at the UEA once. It was pretty good as it goes, though truth be told I only went because some lass I liked was going.

I dragged a few inappropriate mates along who spent most of the time either at the bar or outside getting stoned. Not exactly their thing.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:27 - Jan 26 with 715 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:32 - Jan 26 by footers

I don't rate Blackadder. Not funny. Shoot me.

Maybe it's the Ben Elton effect.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:34 - Jan 26 with 689 viewsfooters

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:23 - Jan 26 by DanTheMan

Yup, sounds good to me.

You could even make a small concession on allowing Doctors / Nurses to continue working for the NHS as long as it doesn't interfere with their primary role as an MP.

I did also find the clip fairly funny when they started talking about gifts people had received and two of them panicked a little and were at pains to point out how it was all very above-board, nothing to see here.

Being an MP should be a hard enough job on its own if done properly and meeting the needs of constituents. Sadly public service (plus a £80k salary, second home, expenses and subsidised food and drink) doesn't seem enough for some - especially on one side of the house.

Must make someone who works 60 hours a week on minimum wage or a zero-hours contract feel really good about their parliamentary representative....

Sad times.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:59 - Jan 26 with 644 viewsSeablu

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 18:08 - Jan 26 by jeera

Well isn't that a twist of fate?

The long summer nights must just fly by.
Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:59 - Jan 26 with 645 viewslongtimefan

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:16 - Jan 26 by jeera

"That new MPs need to be educated about the 'naughtiness' of taking 'freebies' as it might be thought that strings were attached (heaven forbid)."

Sure, which is what he said, but it's clearly ridiculous, the idea that MPs should need to go on some course to teach them not to be corrupt.

"You either enter Parliament to help others, or to help yourself."

Well, exactly. which is what makes the "They're all the same" comments all the more frustrating. Something I have probably been guilty of saying myself in the past, I should add.

“ ure, which is what he said, but it's clearly ridiculous, the idea that MPs should need to go on some course to teach them not to be corrupt. ”

I’d wouldn’t really be surprised if they did. There’s very few Corporates these days that don’t insist on employees undertaking company ethics training, even if it’s only a 30 minute online module. Even my 150 or so sized company insists on yearly refreshers.
Login to get fewer ads

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 20:04 - Jan 26 with 637 viewsHARRY10

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:34 - Jan 26 by footers

Being an MP should be a hard enough job on its own if done properly and meeting the needs of constituents. Sadly public service (plus a £80k salary, second home, expenses and subsidised food and drink) doesn't seem enough for some - especially on one side of the house.

Must make someone who works 60 hours a week on minimum wage or a zero-hours contract feel really good about their parliamentary representative....

Sad times.

There is a case where medical staff have to do so many hours to keep their 'registration' ie a cardiac technician

There maybe a case to be made for other professions, but not lobbying. How can an MP with absolutely no previous experience in a certain field claim that they are being taken on as a lobbyist, without corruption being involved.

My thought is that an MP as a full time job. Work elsewhere means you are not serving your constituents. Johnson was regarded as one of the laziest MPs How much constituency work is he currently doing ?

Similarly with that slimeball Fart Rage. Other than an MEP in hospital for a year Fart rage had the worst attendance record out of 730 MEPs. ignoring his views, how the hell can he be representing any views when he is absent, and hosting a radio phone in. Appointed to the Fisheries committee he turned up once.

Much as with the Lords, which perform a vital and necessary task. But that dies not mean they need 800 of them. How many actually turn up, other than to clock on, then fck off after trouser ing the daily allowance of over £300. Sad thing is how many of the public actually know what they do - other than being 'the enemies of the people' ?
Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 20:09 - Jan 26 with 625 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:23 - Jan 26 by jeera

Did you like Billy Bragg though? Just checking for clarity.

I went to see him (Bragg) at the UEA once. It was pretty good as it goes, though truth be told I only went because some lass I liked was going.

I dragged a few inappropriate mates along who spent most of the time either at the bar or outside getting stoned. Not exactly their thing.

I think you know the answer to that! If not then ask your inappropriate friends.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 20:10]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 20:18 - Jan 26 with 606 viewsjeera

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 20:09 - Jan 26 by BanksterDebtSlave

I think you know the answer to that! If not then ask your inappropriate friends.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 20:10]

That was 30 years ago I reckon, been through a few sets of friends since then.

One of my favourite lines: "I can't sleep with something I can't fight".

I know the context is different but it makes me laugh.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024