Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Hislop, Private Eye 13:50 - Jan 26 with 4338 viewsHARRY10

A telling clip that goes some way to explaining the culture of sleaze

Private Eye journalists were invited to give evidence at a Parliamentary select committee, examining how MPs could be less corrupt (my words)

If ever there were weasel words defending that very sleaze then Bernard Jenkin MP does just that (3.50)

It appears, to him, that MPs are not warned about what they do might be corrupt so they 'unwittingly' get hired by unscrupulous lobbyists. Lambs to the slaughter, we are led to believe.

A good watch is to see how PE rips him and another MP apart

24 mins in total
Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:13 - Jan 26 with 1070 viewsfooters

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:03 - Jan 26 by Swansea_Blue

At least you wouldn't run out of coffee.

I'd rather drink Alberto Costa's urine than Costa coffee, thanks!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:15 - Jan 26 with 1063 viewsfactual_blue

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 15:19 - Jan 26 by HARRY10

2I don't think anyone's agitated, just taking the piss. "

Gosh, who would have thought

sounds like mu choice of words has upset him, and fellow righties

otherwise he would have ignored them

(must be working after all)

Well, all rightists are, ipso facto devoid of sense.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:28 - Jan 26 with 1041 viewsfactual_blue

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:13 - Jan 26 by footers

I'd rather drink Alberto Costa's urine than Costa coffee, thanks!

What about Baldrick's coffee?

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:30 - Jan 26 with 1041 viewsjeera

Yes that from Jenkin was a real coffee-spitter wasn't it.

"We are born savages" so therefore something about 'it's in our nature we're going to be dishonest and need to be taught otherwise', so it's not their fault if they break the rules, it's the rules themselves and that they are not enforced stringently enough.

Or something like that.

It's just waffle from him, and spoken with such authority too.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:32 - Jan 26 with 1028 viewsfooters

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:28 - Jan 26 by factual_blue

What about Baldrick's coffee?

I don't rate Blackadder. Not funny. Shoot me.

Maybe it's the Ben Elton effect.

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:35 - Jan 26 with 1019 viewsEwan_Oozami

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 15:14 - Jan 26 by jeera

No, not having that.

No way.

José..

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:36 - Jan 26 with 1016 viewsjeera

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:32 - Jan 26 by footers

I don't rate Blackadder. Not funny. Shoot me.

Maybe it's the Ben Elton effect.

*hovers over downvote*

This must be a generational thing.

Like most stuff it has aged somewhat in places and might have a bit of the 'you had to be there' [at the time] about it.

How was the birthday btw?

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:39 - Jan 26 with 1012 viewsjeera

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:35 - Jan 26 by Ewan_Oozami

José..

As a kid I always wondered who Hosay was.

Since then of course I know the spelling but still never did learn who he was.

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:41 - Jan 26 with 1007 viewsEwan_Oozami

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:30 - Jan 26 by jeera

"We are born savages" so therefore something about 'it's in our nature we're going to be dishonest and need to be taught otherwise', so it's not their fault if they break the rules, it's the rules themselves and that they are not enforced stringently enough.

Or something like that.

It's strange that he doesn't apply that reasoning to us oiks, who obviously being savages should be locked away for years for even the tiniest misdemeanour.....

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:42 - Jan 26 with 1007 viewsfooters

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:36 - Jan 26 by jeera

*hovers over downvote*

This must be a generational thing.

Like most stuff it has aged somewhat in places and might have a bit of the 'you had to be there' [at the time] about it.

How was the birthday btw?

Hmm, maybe. But I'll very happily watch most older comedies and have a giggle. I just really, really hate Ben Elton. Although I love the Young Ones...

Very nice, ta! Met up with some friends, stuffed our faces with tapas and dry sherry and then drank super-strength stout until we fell over :)

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:43 - Jan 26 with 1001 viewsfooters

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:41 - Jan 26 by Ewan_Oozami

It's strange that he doesn't apply that reasoning to us oiks, who obviously being savages should be locked away for years for even the tiniest misdemeanour.....

If he had any sense, we should all be locked up until we can prove we're to be trusted.

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:44 - Jan 26 with 1002 viewsjeera

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:42 - Jan 26 by footers

Hmm, maybe. But I'll very happily watch most older comedies and have a giggle. I just really, really hate Ben Elton. Although I love the Young Ones...

Very nice, ta! Met up with some friends, stuffed our faces with tapas and dry sherry and then drank super-strength stout until we fell over :)

Ben Elton was popular when I was a kid. He was different, outspoken against the establishment, Thatcherism etc.

You would have probably really liked him!

Birthday sounds a good day, nice one.

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:45 - Jan 26 with 992 viewsEwan_Oozami

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:43 - Jan 26 by footers

If he had any sense, we should all be locked up until we can prove we're to be trusted.

Spoken like a true Prosecution Barrister....
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 16:46]

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:49 - Jan 26 with 971 viewsgiant_stow

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:42 - Jan 26 by footers

Sounds like a lovely mix of civilised and base. Well played.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 17:10 - Jan 26 with 948 viewsHARRY10

Or something like that.

What else could he say, other than that old bollox.

A rightie caught with his fingers in the till now blames his childhood. I wonder how the Mail will deal with that. Ignore it, as usual I expect.

It further highlights similar old bollox from those who believe that removing local accountability will sort all this stuff out. It won't. Quite the opposite in fact.

Watch the non existent uproar from his constituents in response to his thought that MPs are incapable of being honest unless regulated. From these 'freebies' being perks of the job, to them being a healthy outside income Tories seem to think that this is all OK, unless caught. As with Paterson. Who had the PM trying to clear him.

What does that tell us about the culture among some Tory MPs ? That unless closely watched they will fiddle and take 'backhanders', then blame Parliament for lack of strict regulation, and guidance. Is that what you are taught at a public school ? I think not.

how many voters will even be aware of this hearing, never mind having a cursory glance at it ? Never mind. Once we remove local accountability, and allow a handful of politicians to decide who forms our government it will all be OK, so best not concern ourselves over evidence of MPs excusing themselves being 'on the take'.
Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 17:45 - Jan 26 with 925 viewsDanTheMan

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 14:49 - Jan 26 by Swansea_Blue

That's the result of tribal politicisation of everything isn't it? Not helped by how social media functions reinforcing those bubbles (although it probably not the only cause). It's a cancer really that gets in the way of us addressing anything seriously. And we've got the end result in parliament now - our only populist mini-Trump trashing all the rules and conventions.

Edit - And having now read the rest of the comments they seem to backup your post quite nicely. Never miss an opportunity to stick one onto "the lefties" rather than discuss the issue.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 14:53]

The idea of Ian Hislop being woke is pretty hilarious.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 18:04 - Jan 26 with 897 viewsfactual_blue

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 16:44 - Jan 26 by jeera

Ben Elton was popular when I was a kid. He was different, outspoken against the establishment, Thatcherism etc.

You would have probably really liked him!

Birthday sounds a good day, nice one.

His historical perceptiveness is very good, as befits the Manchester University educated nephew of historian Sir Geoffrey Elton.

He is also, incidentally, a cousin of the charming and talented Olivia Newton-John.

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 18:08 - Jan 26 with 889 viewsjeera

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 18:04 - Jan 26 by factual_blue

His historical perceptiveness is very good, as befits the Manchester University educated nephew of historian Sir Geoffrey Elton.

He is also, incidentally, a cousin of the charming and talented Olivia Newton-John.

Well isn't that a twist of fate?

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 18:56 - Jan 26 with 844 viewsGuthrum

Or something like that.

Which is a strange viewpoint, given how opposed to business/financial regulation much of the Conservative Party is.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:04 - Jan 26 with 820 viewsMullet

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 18:56 - Jan 26 by Guthrum

Which is a strange viewpoint, given how opposed to business/financial regulation much of the Conservative Party is.

I thought they were just opposed to getting caught or spending their own money?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:06 - Jan 26 with 819 viewsjeera

Well quite.

It's all rather childish "It's your fault for not stopping me" kind of nonsense.

I just watched the rest of the clip and see what other's have meant when referring to Costa there. What a slimy creature he is!

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:07 - Jan 26 with 815 viewsHARRY10

I think it is more his claiming that the fault lies with the idea of regulation. That new MPs need to be educated about the 'naughtiness' of taking 'freebies' as it might be thought that strings were attached (heaven forbid).

it was Sir Humphrey at his best, trying to explain and justify some wrong doing by a long winded explanation.

My thought is that is not the lack of moral guidance that leads these crooks astray, but fellow MPs showing them how you can 'fill your boots'.

Which leads me back to my thought that you either enter Parliament to help others, or to help yourself. These two certainly have their snouts well deep, and seem affronted that anyone should question them.
Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:16 - Jan 26 with 805 viewsjeera

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:07 - Jan 26 by HARRY10

I think it is more his claiming that the fault lies with the idea of regulation. That new MPs need to be educated about the 'naughtiness' of taking 'freebies' as it might be thought that strings were attached (heaven forbid).

it was Sir Humphrey at his best, trying to explain and justify some wrong doing by a long winded explanation.

My thought is that is not the lack of moral guidance that leads these crooks astray, but fellow MPs showing them how you can 'fill your boots'.

Which leads me back to my thought that you either enter Parliament to help others, or to help yourself. These two certainly have their snouts well deep, and seem affronted that anyone should question them.

"That new MPs need to be educated about the 'naughtiness' of taking 'freebies' as it might be thought that strings were attached (heaven forbid)."

Sure, which is what he said, but it's clearly ridiculous, the idea that MPs should need to go on some course to teach them not to be corrupt.

"You either enter Parliament to help others, or to help yourself."

Well, exactly. which is what makes the "They're all the same" comments all the more frustrating. Something I have probably been guilty of saying myself in the past, I should add.

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:16 - Jan 26 with 805 viewsDanTheMan

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:06 - Jan 26 by jeera

Well quite.

It's all rather childish "It's your fault for not stopping me" kind of nonsense.

I just watched the rest of the clip and see what other's have meant when referring to Costa there. What a slimy creature he is!

I did remind me very much of "ignorance of the law" defence which is never exactly praised.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:19 - Jan 26 with 797 viewsfooters

Ian Hislop, Private Eye on 19:16 - Jan 26 by DanTheMan

I did remind me very much of "ignorance of the law" defence which is never exactly praised.

He seemed to be implying that MPs were basically incapable of anything and shouldn't be held accountable for their actions whatsoever.

How's about this for a rule on lobbying and second jobs: ban it. Maybe that's simple enough for people to understand?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024