Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lads this energy thing 09:21 - Feb 3 with 2495 viewschicoazul

So the government has made energy so expensive due in part to tax that they are now going to give tax rebates so people can afford their energy bill.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Lads this energy thing on 11:34 - Feb 3 with 362 viewsSteve_M

Lads this energy thing on 10:27 - Feb 3 by chicoazul

Apparently part of the reason bills are going up is because the wind blew less than usual.
No seriously that’s what the bbc says.
Thanks for that though, I was hoping you’d contribute!

It had an impact last year, and there were continent-wide periods with limited wind but I think the wider global trends have been more significant.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Lads this energy thing on 11:38 - Feb 3 with 347 viewsRyorry

Lads this energy thing on 11:22 - Feb 3 by nodge_blue

But what sets gas prices? When ships with gas are on their way to a country and another country says they will pay more for that very gas, those ships have then basically gone to that country with their gas. Hence the UK energy companies then have to up their offer price.

It seems that China had a very cold Winter last year and ended up buying much more gas than usual. Gas which would otherwise have come into the European markets to some degree.

Energy bills are not now currently high because of the UK government making them high which is what the OP had in the first sentence.

I don't mind people having a pop at the government. Thats all fair game. Im a bit fed up with the internet just being a ground of half or zero truths feeding more half truths.

See Stirling Archer's point above yours.

No-one's (I think) disputing the global price rise, but as I said, France (and I think Germany too) have a 5% cap and are controlling better what their population/s have to pay.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Lads this energy thing on 11:39 - Feb 3 with 344 viewsJakeITFC

The implications of this sustained price rise (in terms of the costs of balancing the system, capacity required for next winter etc.) still to come onto bills at some point in the next few years too.

Potentially an even stickier situation next year if some of the coal units come off as planned.
Lads this energy thing on 11:39 - Feb 3 with 343 viewsSteve_M

Lads this energy thing on 11:22 - Feb 3 by nodge_blue

But what sets gas prices? When ships with gas are on their way to a country and another country says they will pay more for that very gas, those ships have then basically gone to that country with their gas. Hence the UK energy companies then have to up their offer price.

It seems that China had a very cold Winter last year and ended up buying much more gas than usual. Gas which would otherwise have come into the European markets to some degree.

Energy bills are not now currently high because of the UK government making them high which is what the OP had in the first sentence.

I don't mind people having a pop at the government. Thats all fair game. Im a bit fed up with the internet just being a ground of half or zero truths feeding more half truths.

" When ships with gas are on their way to a country and another country says they will pay more for that very gas, those ships have then basically gone to that country with their gas."

I would add a bit more nuance here, generally it's energy companies making commercial decisions, if you can sell a cargo of LNG for an extra $10 per MMBtu in China compared to Europe then with 3,600,000 it's an easy decision.

Notable exceptions include:
- Spain did have (not sure if it still does) a market mechanism to incentivise pricing in Spain above elsewhere in Europe, it also has most of Europe's regasification capacity.

- China did authorise state-owned companies to pretty much pay whatever it took for LNG last year.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Lads this energy thing on 11:46 - Feb 3 with 313 viewsSeablu

Lads this energy thing on 10:55 - Feb 3 by Ryorry

It's about time you dragged yourself into the 21stC & recognised that women use this site too.

In Chico’s world, the gentlemen convene after dinner by the fireplace to pontificate on the country’s troubles over a snifter of brandy.
The women wash up, then retire to the scullery to coo over crochet patterns.
A simpler time.
Lads this energy thing on 12:07 - Feb 3 with 280 viewsnodge_blue

Lads this energy thing on 11:38 - Feb 3 by Ryorry

See Stirling Archer's point above yours.

No-one's (I think) disputing the global price rise, but as I said, France (and I think Germany too) have a 5% cap and are controlling better what their population/s have to pay.

When you say no-one.....The first post was basically intimating that the government are the main issue. Thats what I took a bit of issue with.

Like many issues its complicated. Not least by the fact that as a planet we need to reduce fossil fuel usage anyway.

As an aside I went to buy some replacement fence panels yesterday and the local guy hasn't had any wood in for a year. Partly because of supply issues (from Latvia apparently). And partly because the price of the wood has now gone up 300% before the pandemic. So he's now worried that he could buy a years supply only to find that prices normalise a bit and he's stuck with a load of expensive wood.

For whatever reason, the pandemic has messed up all sorts of supply chains, and consequently price. We probably just have to sit it out for a couple of years and hopefully it will settle.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2022 12:13]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Lads this energy thing on 12:55 - Feb 3 with 257 viewsRyorry

Lads this energy thing on 12:07 - Feb 3 by nodge_blue

When you say no-one.....The first post was basically intimating that the government are the main issue. Thats what I took a bit of issue with.

Like many issues its complicated. Not least by the fact that as a planet we need to reduce fossil fuel usage anyway.

As an aside I went to buy some replacement fence panels yesterday and the local guy hasn't had any wood in for a year. Partly because of supply issues (from Latvia apparently). And partly because the price of the wood has now gone up 300% before the pandemic. So he's now worried that he could buy a years supply only to find that prices normalise a bit and he's stuck with a load of expensive wood.

For whatever reason, the pandemic has messed up all sorts of supply chains, and consequently price. We probably just have to sit it out for a couple of years and hopefully it will settle.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2022 12:13]

He did say "in part" so I let the OP off that one! but see what you mean.

A couple more asides - most people in rural areas where there's no mains gas depend on oil for their heating, and the price of that has shot up too.

Just heard interesting feature on R4 about 'log banks' in Northumbria. Landowners donate fallen trees, and volunteers go out to collect, then process it for people in need who have open fires or log-burners.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024