Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Station Hotel Ipswich 21:55 - Mar 6 with 4862 viewsloftboy

Coming home from QPR yesterday I had a 45 minute wait for my connection to Lowestoft, went into the station hotel and had a couple of pints of Camden Hells, £6.50 per pint!! It’s cheaper than that in Camden.
Station Hotel Ipswich on 21:27 - Mar 7 with 764 viewsTractorWood

Station Hotel Ipswich on 15:09 - Mar 7 by Lord_Lucan

About 10 years ago I went on a two week holiday in Penang. Swear to God, as soon as I saw the prices of a pint I considered taking a 20 hour bus ride to Pattaya.

A pint in Penang about 5 years ago was about £3 or 15 ringit if my memory serves me right.

I remember paying £12 for a pint in Singapore once. That bar is now closed though. Shockingly.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Station Hotel Ipswich on 21:49 - Mar 7 with 731 viewsLord_Lucan

Station Hotel Ipswich on 21:27 - Mar 7 by TractorWood

A pint in Penang about 5 years ago was about £3 or 15 ringit if my memory serves me right.

I remember paying £12 for a pint in Singapore once. That bar is now closed though. Shockingly.

That's crazy. 100% the prices were criminal when I went.

I can't explain it - there were hardly any bars anywhere either.

I can pin point when it was as well, we were playing Arsenal away in the semis when I was there.

I'm now trying to find out exactly where I was staying, I must have been in the Idiot Farang quarter.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Station Hotel Ipswich on 21:57 - Mar 7 with 719 viewsTractorWood

Station Hotel Ipswich on 21:49 - Mar 7 by Lord_Lucan

That's crazy. 100% the prices were criminal when I went.

I can't explain it - there were hardly any bars anywhere either.

I can pin point when it was as well, we were playing Arsenal away in the semis when I was there.

I'm now trying to find out exactly where I was staying, I must have been in the Idiot Farang quarter.

It was probably George Town or Batu Ferringhi. Not sure you can really stay anywhere else.

It wasn't that easy to find a beer in George Town but very easy in Batu Ferringhi as it's a touristy place.

There may have been some mass relaxing in alcohol rules.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Station Hotel Ipswich on 11:50 - Mar 8 with 640 viewsRadlett_blue

Station Hotel Ipswich on 21:57 - Mar 7 by TractorWood

It was probably George Town or Batu Ferringhi. Not sure you can really stay anywhere else.

It wasn't that easy to find a beer in George Town but very easy in Batu Ferringhi as it's a touristy place.

There may have been some mass relaxing in alcohol rules.

When I was there in 1991 we were staying in Batu Ferringhi. We were in a smart hotel & alcohol was expensive & even at a price, the wine selection was poor. One night we walked down to a local restaurant where prices were reasonable.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Station Hotel Ipswich on 12:40 - Mar 8 with 606 viewssolemio

[Redacted] on 20:15 - Mar 7 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Haven't been to Norway since 2008. Certainly their prices were astonishingly high. We ate a lot of vegetarian meals as we found a veggie restaurant with comparatively reasonable prices.

For many years the two most expensive cities in the world were Oslo and Tokyo. No idea whether that is still the case.
[Redacted] on 12:47 - Mar 8 with 594 viewsvictorywilhappen

Station Hotel Ipswich on 12:40 - Mar 8 by solemio

Haven't been to Norway since 2008. Certainly their prices were astonishingly high. We ate a lot of vegetarian meals as we found a veggie restaurant with comparatively reasonable prices.

For many years the two most expensive cities in the world were Oslo and Tokyo. No idea whether that is still the case.

[Redacted]
Station Hotel Ipswich on 16:18 - Mar 11 with 448 viewsLord_Lucan

Station Hotel Ipswich on 11:50 - Mar 8 by Radlett_blue

When I was there in 1991 we were staying in Batu Ferringhi. We were in a smart hotel & alcohol was expensive & even at a price, the wine selection was poor. One night we walked down to a local restaurant where prices were reasonable.

I'm trying to find a file on my pooter and I can across my Penang file - yes, i am a sad tvvat that keeps everything electronically for ever.

Anyhoo, I was there in 2011 at The Flamingo Hotel in Tanjung Bungah and I found a photo of one of those outside restaurant things and it has a big electronic illuminated price board. I remember this was the cheapest place for a pint but I rarely went in it as I prefer a proper bar with a bar stool.

According to the board a pint of beer there was 18 Ringgit which in todays exchange is £3.29 - I think that is quite a lot for a beer 10 years ago - especially for an excessive drinker on a two week holiday.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Station Hotel Ipswich on 16:31 - Mar 11 with 426 viewsbluelagos

Station Hotel Ipswich on 16:18 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

I'm trying to find a file on my pooter and I can across my Penang file - yes, i am a sad tvvat that keeps everything electronically for ever.

Anyhoo, I was there in 2011 at The Flamingo Hotel in Tanjung Bungah and I found a photo of one of those outside restaurant things and it has a big electronic illuminated price board. I remember this was the cheapest place for a pint but I rarely went in it as I prefer a proper bar with a bar stool.

According to the board a pint of beer there was 18 Ringgit which in todays exchange is £3.29 - I think that is quite a lot for a beer 10 years ago - especially for an excessive drinker on a two week holiday.

My first trip to Prague about 20 years ago - ordered 6 pints of local lager and I had a whiskey and coke. When I went to pay, whatever the barmaid asked for worked out at £2.10, so I explained I wanted to pay for the whole round, and not just for my drink.

She smiled and said "You have"

Fair to say we got properly battered that weekend. TWTD

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Station Hotel Ipswich on 18:53 - Mar 11 with 367 viewsfarkenhell

Station Hotel Ipswich on 16:31 - Mar 11 by bluelagos

My first trip to Prague about 20 years ago - ordered 6 pints of local lager and I had a whiskey and coke. When I went to pay, whatever the barmaid asked for worked out at £2.10, so I explained I wanted to pay for the whole round, and not just for my drink.

She smiled and said "You have"

Fair to say we got properly battered that weekend. TWTD

When I was at college, a lad I shared a house with told me that his favourite beer was 16p a pint in Prague. It was a long time ago now (too long) although a pint here was about £2 at the time. He was a bit of a bullish!tter so I didn't take much notice, but now having read your post, I'm wondering whether he was telling the truth after all!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024