Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best atmosphere in… 21:52 - Mar 12 with 3816 viewstextbackup

… can’t remember how long

Was beautiful in PR today.

Lovely football, noise, packed away end.

Just proper
[Post edited 12 Mar 2022 21:53]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Best atmosphere in… on 21:58 - Mar 12 with 3334 viewsVeggie

A good point. The atmosphere is helped when there are a lot of away fans. Doesn’t help when some teams bring a couple of hundred.
Best atmosphere in… on 22:12 - Mar 12 with 3239 viewsHciwspi

We sit in block F of the Pioneer/Britannia/CoOp/Magnus stand and the North was VERY quiet first half. All we heard all half was the 2000 Portsmouth fans who were dead opposite us. They sang “is this a library” several times.

North woke up a bit in the second half but still didn’t sound that noisy today.
Best atmosphere in… on 22:19 - Mar 12 with 3192 viewsReuser_is_God

Best atmosphere in… on 22:12 - Mar 12 by Hciwspi

We sit in block F of the Pioneer/Britannia/CoOp/Magnus stand and the North was VERY quiet first half. All we heard all half was the 2000 Portsmouth fans who were dead opposite us. They sang “is this a library” several times.

That’s because you can’t hear the North from your end.

In the North we barely heard Portsmouth all game.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Best atmosphere in… on 22:46 - Mar 12 with 3073 viewsAlanG296

Best atmosphere in… on 22:19 - Mar 12 by Reuser_is_God

Could certainly hear their fans where I am at the back of SBR2, could hear more of that monotonous drumming from down below than singing although I don't doubt there was singing.
Best atmosphere in… on 22:50 - Mar 12 with 3001 viewsnoggin

Best atmosphere in… on 22:46 - Mar 12 by AlanG296

Could certainly hear their fans where I am at the back of SBR2, could hear more of that monotonous drumming from down below than singing although I don't doubt there was singing.

Town fans sounded in good voice on IFollow. I

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Best atmosphere in… on 00:02 - Mar 13 with 2812 viewsChurchman

Best atmosphere in… on 22:19 - Mar 12 by Reuser_is_God

Having sat (and stood years ago) all over the ground, this is very true. You don’t have to be much beyond the half way line to hear one or the other, when there’s a good noisy away turnout.

While I wouldn’t advocate devoting half of North Stand as they once did, even if it was possible, it’d be better if they were the other end of the East stand. Bet the police would object, mind.
Best atmosphere in… on 02:19 - Mar 13 with 2658 viewsBlue_Moses

Second half the North was as loud as I can remember it since the renovation
Best atmosphere in… on 07:07 - Mar 13 with 2480 viewsPioneerBlue

The last few home games have been lacking on the noise levels. Night games we’ve seemed passive. This match against Portsmouth the noise was much better. Portsmouth we’re quieter in the second half as we took control of the game.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Login to get fewer ads

Best atmosphere in… on 07:23 - Mar 13 with 2422 viewsArnieM

Having stood on thf terrace of the old NS and now SBR , I think the whole acoustics of the SBR had been ruined since the rebuild of the stand. The lower tier has a very low roof for half of the stand , whilst the other front half of the stand is all but “ open” with the very high roof ( which is a roof essentially for the upper tier). So noise created by the stand us with suppressed ( lower back half of the stand) or noise “evaporates” from the high upper tier roof. If you’re in the SBR lower you can’t hear the upper tier, and they can’t hear the lower tier .

A shockingly poor construction IMO and changed the acoustic dynamics of the stand completely. That old North stand held 9k fans under one roof and when we sang , the noise was deafening. The lower tier really does sing , but it’s nowhere near as effective now !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Best atmosphere in… on 08:34 - Mar 13 with 2251 viewstextbackup

Best atmosphere in… on 07:23 - Mar 13 by ArnieM

Having stood on thf terrace of the old NS and now SBR , I think the whole acoustics of the SBR had been ruined since the rebuild of the stand. The lower tier has a very low roof for half of the stand , whilst the other front half of the stand is all but “ open” with the very high roof ( which is a roof essentially for the upper tier). So noise created by the stand us with suppressed ( lower back half of the stand) or noise “evaporates” from the high upper tier roof. If you’re in the SBR lower you can’t hear the upper tier, and they can’t hear the lower tier .

A shockingly poor construction IMO and changed the acoustic dynamics of the stand completely. That old North stand held 9k fans under one roof and when we sang , the noise was deafening. The lower tier really does sing , but it’s nowhere near as effective now !

there were times in that second half were i couldnt hear my mate speak next to me, so everyone gave it a bloody good go

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Best atmosphere in… on 09:35 - Mar 13 with 2103 viewsstrikalite

Best atmosphere in… on 08:34 - Mar 13 by textbackup

there were times in that second half were i couldnt hear my mate speak next to me, so everyone gave it a bloody good go

I was in the Co-Op upper and I have to say that I agree mate that second half was as good an atmosphere from North as I've ever heard before, When everyone sings together, the same song(sometimes there's issues there)then in really does sound good and yes even the Co-Op are joining in!
One gripe, when they sing "oh when the Town, go marching in..." starting with first verse sung very slowly.....that's supposed to continue as you know, but fans are bloody jumping the gun and finish the song clapping on the second verse, not sure how you educate that the song has changed from back in the day...annoying, ha!

Arnie, agree 100% with what you're saying about the stand design, but many many stands up and down the land have this design with the two tiers and this argument about not feeling the full effect from the opposing end has always been discussed by fans over the years in other grounds too, we're not alone, but from anywhere from the half way line point to the North Stand the sound(especially yesterday) is as good as anywhere, I think we're hard on our support sometimes, incredible support for where we are, to think we averaged 16k in the Championship under MM. I find it staggering to where we are now...

When all three sections of the lower sing like yesterday, together, PR is a brilliant place to be and we should be mighty proud of that, couldn't help think how you'd feel being out there as a player, I'd fecking love it my god...I'm sure they do too!
Best atmosphere in… on 10:23 - Mar 13 with 1952 viewsAlanG296

Best atmosphere in… on 07:23 - Mar 13 by ArnieM

What you call the roof over the back half of the lower tier is not a roof and is actually the upper tier seating which is very well designed and provides excellent views of the pitch, which is really what matters most when designing a stand. The noise from the away fans could be heard clearly at the back of SBR2 yesterday so perhaps the Cobbold has better acoustics and the choir should relocate to the north end of that stand.
Best atmosphere in… on 11:28 - Mar 13 with 1857 viewsBrads

Yeah decent atmosphere and a proper game with everything but a goal.
Best atmosphere in… on 11:42 - Mar 13 with 1840 viewsnoggin

Best atmosphere in… on 10:23 - Mar 13 by AlanG296

What you call the roof over the back half of the lower tier is not a roof and is actually the upper tier seating which is very well designed and provides excellent views of the pitch, which is really what matters most when designing a stand. The noise from the away fans could be heard clearly at the back of SBR2 yesterday so perhaps the Cobbold has better acoustics and the choir should relocate to the north end of that stand.

How did your tartan blanket hold up yesterday? I'm sure the thermos flask of bovril was welcome at half time.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2022 11:46]

Best atmosphere in… on 11:42 - Mar 13 with 1839 viewsBlue_Order

Best atmosphere in… on 22:46 - Mar 12 by AlanG296

We’re moving the drum to the back of SBR2 next season, mate. Enjoy!
Best atmosphere in… on 11:47 - Mar 13 with 1811 viewsAlanG296

Best atmosphere in… on 11:42 - Mar 13 by Blue_Order

We’re moving the drum to the back of SBR2 next season, mate. Enjoy!

Won't happen, you'd have less money for alcohol.
Best atmosphere in… on 11:48 - Mar 13 with 1803 viewsAlanG296

Best atmosphere in… on 11:42 - Mar 13 by noggin

How did your tartan blanket hold up yesterday? I'm sure the thermos flask of bovril was welcome at half time.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2022 11:46]

The Clueless view from Section 6 as usual.
Best atmosphere in… on 11:51 - Mar 13 with 1793 viewsnoggin

Best atmosphere in… on 11:48 - Mar 13 by AlanG296

Sorry, was it tea?

Best atmosphere in… on 12:30 - Mar 13 with 1732 viewsBlue_Order

Best atmosphere in… on 11:47 - Mar 13 by AlanG296

Won't happen, you'd have less money for alcohol.

I’ve read this 10 times but still none the wiser. Could you break it down for my clueless Section 6 self?
[Post edited 13 Mar 2022 12:35]
Best atmosphere in… on 12:38 - Mar 13 with 1698 viewsnoggin

Best atmosphere in… on 12:30 - Mar 13 by Blue_Order

I’ve read this 10 times but still none the wiser. Could you break it down for my clueless Section 6 self?
[Post edited 13 Mar 2022 12:35]

I think he's implying that you're a regular in your local Spoon's.

Best atmosphere in… on 12:46 - Mar 13 with 1668 viewsWickets

Best atmosphere in… on 22:12 - Mar 12 by Hciwspi

Yer its all the North stands fault ! just a thought how about the rest of the ground joining in a bit .
Best atmosphere in… on 12:48 - Mar 13 with 1663 viewsDemBlooz

Best atmosphere in… on 11:48 - Mar 13 by AlanG296

All we could hear all game was you sucking loudly on your Werther's Originals.
Best atmosphere in… on 13:30 - Mar 13 with 1569 viewstractorshark

I think the stadium design does affect the perception of what’s noisy.

My Pompey friend was in the away end and said we were quiet and they sang all game.

But I read on here that some thought Pompey were quiet.

We talk about moving our fans more centrally in the north stand which would help but it was also be better if the away fans were moved up the other end of the Cobbold. I doubt the club would go for that though.
Best atmosphere in… on 14:19 - Mar 13 with 1496 viewsnoggin

Best atmosphere in… on 13:30 - Mar 13 by tractorshark

I think the stadium design does affect the perception of what’s noisy.

My Pompey friend was in the away end and said we were quiet and they sang all game.

But I read on here that some thought Pompey were quiet.

We talk about moving our fans more centrally in the north stand which would help but it was also be better if the away fans were moved up the other end of the Cobbold. I doubt the club would go for that though.

Or just move the singers to the SBR upper. I've never understood the attraction of the lower tier.

Best atmosphere in… on 15:05 - Mar 13 with 1390 viewsblueocean

Best atmosphere in… on 11:51 - Mar 13 by noggin

Sorry, was it tea?

It was a good atmosphere yesterday but Its the same in almost every ground that I've been to. Pompey fans always get behind their team. The more of us naturally the louder it is.

Ipswich had a good shout at FP and were quite loud but winning like you did I suppose that's to be expected. I hope you don't get promoted this season as I'd rather go to Ipswich than Crewe any day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024