Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history 08:47 - May 11 with 997 viewsSteve_M

Some great photos here.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2022/may/10/the-golden-city-a-h

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 09:08 - May 11 with 947 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Great city - loved visiting there, so much to see for a city of its size.

It sums up the US quite well though - highest salaries in America, HUGE numbers of homeless living alongside tech millionaires.
Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 09:12 - May 11 with 926 viewsNthQldITFC

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 09:08 - May 11 by SuperKieranMcKenna

It sums up the US quite well though - highest salaries in America, HUGE numbers of homeless living alongside tech millionaires.

Pump up the volume.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 09:14 - May 11 with 932 viewsGuthrum

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 09:08 - May 11 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Indeed, the streets lined with homeless people was very grim. Our tour guide said the city was an nearly unaffordable place to live.

But an impressive place visually - and fun to drive the streets seen in Bullitt (very steep).

Edit: We also - I'm told remarkably - had an entirely fog-free weekend.
[Post edited 11 May 2022 9:21]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 09:16 - May 11 with 922 viewsfarkenhell

Thanks for posting this Steve. Frisco is one of my favourite cities. Beautiful location and people.
Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 09:24 - May 11 with 892 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 09:14 - May 11 by Guthrum

Indeed, the streets lined with homeless people was very grim. Our tour guide said the city was an nearly unaffordable place to live.

But an impressive place visually - and fun to drive the streets seen in Bullitt (very steep).

Edit: We also - I'm told remarkably - had an entirely fog-free weekend.
[Post edited 11 May 2022 9:21]

“and fun to drive the streets seen in Bullitt”

Although my experience of driving there involved pulling out of the rental place, and someone going into the back of me at the first junction haha! (Just a scuff fortunately!)
Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 09:28 - May 11 with 885 viewsGuthrum

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 09:24 - May 11 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“and fun to drive the streets seen in Bullitt”

Although my experience of driving there involved pulling out of the rental place, and someone going into the back of me at the first junction haha! (Just a scuff fortunately!)

We got the top of the hill and the car bonnet was just pointing in the air. Had to trust there was no obstruction as we blindly nosed over.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 11:22 - May 11 with 819 viewsIllinoisblue

Had a couple of work trips there and on some downtime went exploring the city. My word. Tent cities everywhere, human excrement on the street and in some areas you’re literally stepping over people sleeping rough. Human tragedy around every corner.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 12:28 - May 11 with 778 viewsWorcesterParkBlue

We're going to SF at end of July - planning to spend 10 days or so driving down Highway 1 to LA. Never been to California before, looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing - very interesting!
Login to get fewer ads

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 16:17 - May 11 with 720 viewsfarkenhell

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 12:28 - May 11 by WorcesterParkBlue

We're going to SF at end of July - planning to spend 10 days or so driving down Highway 1 to LA. Never been to California before, looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing - very interesting!

There are two main roads between SF and LA, one follows the coastline and the other (quicker) is inland. I think the coast one is Highway 1 (it might also be called the Canning Highway). If you have the time, definitely take the coast road. It's pretty mundane down to Monterrey, but thereafter it's quite spectacular all the way down to Santa Barbara (which itself is a great place, only an hour's drive from LA).
Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 17:09 - May 11 with 702 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 16:17 - May 11 by farkenhell

There are two main roads between SF and LA, one follows the coastline and the other (quicker) is inland. I think the coast one is Highway 1 (it might also be called the Canning Highway). If you have the time, definitely take the coast road. It's pretty mundane down to Monterrey, but thereafter it's quite spectacular all the way down to Santa Barbara (which itself is a great place, only an hour's drive from LA).

Did a great stop off on route down there - Big Sur, camping and walking amongst the giant redwoods. Still amused by the “beware of cougars” signs !
Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 17:52 - May 11 with 666 viewsmidastouch

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 18:18 - May 11 with 647 viewsChurchman

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 09:28 - May 11 by Guthrum

We got the top of the hill and the car bonnet was just pointing in the air. Had to trust there was no obstruction as we blindly nosed over.

Yes, I had to do a ‘Bullitt’ and floor the accelerator down one of those early one morning when it was quiet. The Dodge Dynasty didn’t like it, but it had to be done.

I really enjoyed SF. You don’t have to use a car much as most of the interesting stuff is in walking or tram distance if you stay fairly central. Lots to do. Alcatraz was a laugh and I’d always wanted to drive over the Golden Gate Bridge which I did, though the double decker Bay Bridge is actually more impressive.

Plenty of nice places to eat but even 30 years ago when I last stayed there, there was a lot of poverty visible.
Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 19:41 - May 11 with 615 viewsCoastalblue

Photo Thread: San Francisco through it's history on 12:28 - May 11 by WorcesterParkBlue

Did similar about 4 years ago, didn't stop in LA but carried on to Palm Springs. The drive down the coast is jaw dropping, for the first few hours you want to stop as you come round every corner.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024