Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rob Edwards 12:41 - May 11 with 3329 viewsKieranMcKenna1

Off to Watford, he’s taking a bit of a risk given there history with managers.

Poll: Are you Mick out or Mick in?

Rob Edwards on 10:14 - May 12 with 324 viewsjayessess

Rob Edwards on 09:38 - May 12 by Churchman

The career path in football is surely about waiting for the right opportunity and how many managers are fired each season?

I’m slightly hypocritical tbh as I probably took on more jobs/roles I didn’t want than those I did. I just happen to think that he will get a better opportunity than Watford. If Watford really did deal with this the way FGR imply, it’s not good.

I always remember when Robson shook hands and agreed to take on the Everton job in the 70s. They broke their word in allowing the news to break before BR had a chance to talk with John Cobbold. Robson stayed and possibly had a better career than he might have done had he taken the Everton money and job.

There is no right and wrong with moving jobs. His decision and who is to say he won’t be a massive success there. Good luck to the bloke.

Right, but what "right opportunities" are going to present themselves to someone like Rob Edwards?

The reality is that every manager, every season, is at risk of things going wrong and falling off the ladder. The longer you grind in League 1 and League 2, the more chance of that bad season coming for you. Then that's it, that's your ceiling more or less. Until this year Paul Cook and Michael Appleton probably had dreams of managing consistently in the top 2 divisions, but that's done now.

To get a job with those sort of resources anywhere other than Watford, Edwards would need to be more or less flawless at 3 different clubs for half a decade. He'd be absolutely crazy not to accept this shortcut.
[Post edited 12 May 2022 10:15]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Rob Edwards on 10:17 - May 12 with 316 viewsclive_baker

Equally very difficult not to cash your chips when your stock is high I imagine, especially for a bloke who had a relatively unremarkable playing career.

What's the worst that can happen, he's sacked by Watford with a lovely pay out and he's back at a club the size of FGR.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rob Edwards on 10:39 - May 12 with 275 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Rob Edwards on 09:38 - May 12 by Churchman

The career path in football is surely about waiting for the right opportunity and how many managers are fired each season?

I’m slightly hypocritical tbh as I probably took on more jobs/roles I didn’t want than those I did. I just happen to think that he will get a better opportunity than Watford. If Watford really did deal with this the way FGR imply, it’s not good.

I always remember when Robson shook hands and agreed to take on the Everton job in the 70s. They broke their word in allowing the news to break before BR had a chance to talk with John Cobbold. Robson stayed and possibly had a better career than he might have done had he taken the Everton money and job.

There is no right and wrong with moving jobs. His decision and who is to say he won’t be a massive success there. Good luck to the bloke.

What better opportunities do you expect him to get than a club just relegated from the PL, that went straight back up the last time they were relegated and has the players and resources to do so again?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024