Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... 10:22 - May 17 with 3611 viewsfab_lover

The Government is just about to announce that they will be breaking the NI protocol deal they signed with the EU, the famous "oven ready" Brexit deal.

"Boris" said last night on C4 news:

"Yes, I agreed it (the NI protocol). I hoped & believed our friends (the EU) would not necessarily want to apply it"

Here's what another Tory leader said in the past:

"Britain does not break treaties. It would be bad for Britain, bad for our relations with the rest of the world and bad for any future treaty on trade we may need to make.”

I find it deeply, deeply ironic that the party that swathes itself in our national flag is currently overseeing, as a direct results of its actions, the imminent break-up of the Union and the complete trashing of our international reputation.

As I've said before, the only way we'll know we've turned a corner in all of this and back to the nation we'd like to be is when those responsible have been put on trial for treason.
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:57 - May 18 with 755 viewsEireannach_gorm

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:30 - May 17 by XYZ

You might want to edit that, Harry.

I got the gist of it.

It was the written version of frothing at the mouth.
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 12:26 - May 18 with 717 viewsNBVJohn

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:49 - May 17 by HARRY10

some folk only read my posts to count the number of typos

can be time connsuming putting them in though

but it would be akin to a Frank Sintra concert without My Way

(which rather coincidentally describes my posts)

On the contrary, I was reading your post with as much interest as all of the other comments until the sheer number of typo’s made me give up.
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 14:06 - May 20 with 665 viewsEireannach_gorm

Trade deal with US or pacify Unionists?

https://www.thejournal.ie/nancy-pelosi-threatens-block-trade-northern-ireland-pr

US Ways and Means Committee have met with the EU and are coming to Ireland shortly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Committee_on_Ways_and_Means
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:39 - May 23 with 583 viewsEireannach_gorm

The Americans have landed with a clear and consistent message.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22101008/

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0522/1300457-brexit/
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:47 - May 23 with 577 viewsgiant_stow

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:39 - May 23 by Eireannach_gorm

The Americans have landed with a clear and consistent message.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22101008/

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0522/1300457-brexit/

Whats the feeling in the island of Ireland about the protocol - is it genuinely making life difficult for people in the north, or is that a very political claim?

I see the Tory press claiming that the Protocol allows for unilateral action if society and the economy is getting screwed, but is it actually getting screwed or this just a convenient claim?

Excuse my ignorance please!
[Post edited 23 May 2022 10:48]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 11:19 - May 23 with 542 viewsEireannach_gorm

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 10:47 - May 23 by giant_stow

Whats the feeling in the island of Ireland about the protocol - is it genuinely making life difficult for people in the north, or is that a very political claim?

I see the Tory press claiming that the Protocol allows for unilateral action if society and the economy is getting screwed, but is it actually getting screwed or this just a convenient claim?

Excuse my ignorance please!
[Post edited 23 May 2022 10:48]

The Good Friday Agreement was never going to be the solution to the situation in Northern Ireland. It was a means to bring an end to Gorilla Warfare and bring a level of peace and stability. Because of the flaws in the Agreement ( much like Brexit ) it needs to be continuously refined by negotiated agreement. Unilateral decisions by any side wreck any possibility of all parties buying into any agreement.

In the case of the Northern Ireland Protocol, which gave NI special status in the EU, the tightrope was even thinner.

As the DUP want rid of the Protocol and supported Brexit unlike the rest of Northern Ireland, the hard line Torys have latched onto an opportunity to change the terms of Brexit without discussion or compromise.

This is has been allied to the shift in power in Northern politics where Unionists feel the are losing their grip on power and are not used to not getting their own way.

There is no option in the Protocol for unilateral action because that would undermine any agreement. Johnson and his followers think that any agreement or law can be broken if it does not suit them. Apparently these things only apply to the other person.

Northern Ireland have a very good deal because effectively they are still in the EU Single Market and with a little tweaking the East-West issues can be ironed out. This concession by the EU is huge because the Single Market is sacrosanct and will be protected at all costs.

You are not ignorant because you clearly are uneasy with the Tory narrative.
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 11:26 - May 23 with 535 viewsgiant_stow

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 11:19 - May 23 by Eireannach_gorm

The Good Friday Agreement was never going to be the solution to the situation in Northern Ireland. It was a means to bring an end to Gorilla Warfare and bring a level of peace and stability. Because of the flaws in the Agreement ( much like Brexit ) it needs to be continuously refined by negotiated agreement. Unilateral decisions by any side wreck any possibility of all parties buying into any agreement.

In the case of the Northern Ireland Protocol, which gave NI special status in the EU, the tightrope was even thinner.

As the DUP want rid of the Protocol and supported Brexit unlike the rest of Northern Ireland, the hard line Torys have latched onto an opportunity to change the terms of Brexit without discussion or compromise.

This is has been allied to the shift in power in Northern politics where Unionists feel the are losing their grip on power and are not used to not getting their own way.

There is no option in the Protocol for unilateral action because that would undermine any agreement. Johnson and his followers think that any agreement or law can be broken if it does not suit them. Apparently these things only apply to the other person.

Northern Ireland have a very good deal because effectively they are still in the EU Single Market and with a little tweaking the East-West issues can be ironed out. This concession by the EU is huge because the Single Market is sacrosanct and will be protected at all costs.

You are not ignorant because you clearly are uneasy with the Tory narrative.

Yes, the tory line seem to be mighty convenient. Thanks for the summary - I really ought to know more about this, but as an outsider, it sometimes feel too daunting to even begin. Cheers

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 11:46 - May 23 with 521 viewsEireannach_gorm

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 11:26 - May 23 by giant_stow

Yes, the tory line seem to be mighty convenient. Thanks for the summary - I really ought to know more about this, but as an outsider, it sometimes feel too daunting to even begin. Cheers

I am not being judgemental here but you are not an outsider here.

Northern Ireland is currently part of your country.

This has been the the real problem with Northern Ireland, the Northern Unionists are fervently British while the rest of Britain really don't care about it and would happily rid themselves of it ( Torys excluded ).

I remember a comment made many years ago on a joint Northern Ireland RoI TV program where a participant said to a Unionist contributer that " You regard yourself as British but the British regard us all as Paddies."
Login to get fewer ads

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 13:00 - May 23 with 476 viewsgiant_stow

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 11:46 - May 23 by Eireannach_gorm

I am not being judgemental here but you are not an outsider here.

Northern Ireland is currently part of your country.

This has been the the real problem with Northern Ireland, the Northern Unionists are fervently British while the rest of Britain really don't care about it and would happily rid themselves of it ( Torys excluded ).

I remember a comment made many years ago on a joint Northern Ireland RoI TV program where a participant said to a Unionist contributer that " You regard yourself as British but the British regard us all as Paddies."

Yes, thats a fair criticism, to my shame.

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 13:25 - May 23 with 460 viewsEireannach_gorm

Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 13:00 - May 23 by giant_stow

Yes, thats a fair criticism, to my shame.

Not a criticism, just an observation. You would not be alone in your disinterest / apathy, which is the reason the problem in Northern Ireland has persisted for so long. Interest is only sparked when it is politically beneficial / expedient, they are a expensive tool to keep in the toolbox.

As the Northern part of Ireland was the most strongly opposed to British rule and the Gaelic Chiefs were the most troublesome there, a strategic decision was made Plant the province of Ulster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation_of_Ulster

The Northern Irish entity was artificially created by Britain who have now it has lost interest in cleaning up its own mess.
Finally, kiss the reputation of the UK goodbye... on 21:33 - May 23 with 373 viewsEireannach_gorm

Bit of common sense and a reality check from a British politician today.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22101326/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024