Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marquee Signings 15:04 - Jun 23 with 3918 viewshype313

Trying to think of the last time I was wowed by a signing (not loan) probably Marcus, Ian Marshall and Finidi (even though he was 89 at the time).

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Marquee Signings on 21:24 - Jun 23 with 628 viewsbluebudgie

Big Alan Hunter for me, Town was on a terrible run at the bottom of the league and after two and a half seasons of struggle, the crowd finally turned on Bobby Robson. John Cobbld was appalled and offered Sir Bob a ten-year contract Robson is rumored to refuse to sign it until the Town board produced some money for signings, this the board did and Sir Bob went and signed Big Al for a considerable sum of money with Bobby Bell going to Blackburn as part of the deal despite interest from Everton and Leeds, two of the biggest English teams of the time Other 1st division teams were very interested in signing big Al but Robson worked his charm and lured him here Big Al was an established Northern Irish international and was classed as one of the finest center-halves at the time in Britain Hunter said at the time, "I was aware of interest from other teams but within 5 minutes of meeting Bobby Robson I had no doubt Ipswich is where I wanted to go"The first peice of what became a magnificent jigsaw with Town qualifying for Europe two years later and the rest they say is history
Marquee Signings on 22:32 - Jun 23 with 587 viewsghostofescobar

We had gazebo signings in the Evans era.

GhostOfEscobar

Marquee Signings on 07:39 - Jun 24 with 531 viewsDJR

Marquee Signings on 21:24 - Jun 23 by bluebudgie

Big Alan Hunter for me, Town was on a terrible run at the bottom of the league and after two and a half seasons of struggle, the crowd finally turned on Bobby Robson. John Cobbld was appalled and offered Sir Bob a ten-year contract Robson is rumored to refuse to sign it until the Town board produced some money for signings, this the board did and Sir Bob went and signed Big Al for a considerable sum of money with Bobby Bell going to Blackburn as part of the deal despite interest from Everton and Leeds, two of the biggest English teams of the time Other 1st division teams were very interested in signing big Al but Robson worked his charm and lured him here Big Al was an established Northern Irish international and was classed as one of the finest center-halves at the time in Britain Hunter said at the time, "I was aware of interest from other teams but within 5 minutes of meeting Bobby Robson I had no doubt Ipswich is where I wanted to go"The first peice of what became a magnificent jigsaw with Town qualifying for Europe two years later and the rest they say is history

Jimmy Robertson, bought a year or so before Hunter, was also a marquee signing who played a significant role for the club. He was signed from Arsenal. was an FA Cup winner and goal scorer with Spurs, and at 26 or 27 was in his prime. He helped keep us up in his first two seasons, and helped us finish thirteenth in his final season (71/72).
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 8:24]
Marquee Signings on 09:03 - Jun 24 with 478 viewsbluebudgie

Marquee Signings on 07:39 - Jun 24 by DJR

Jimmy Robertson, bought a year or so before Hunter, was also a marquee signing who played a significant role for the club. He was signed from Arsenal. was an FA Cup winner and goal scorer with Spurs, and at 26 or 27 was in his prime. He helped keep us up in his first two seasons, and helped us finish thirteenth in his final season (71/72).
[Post edited 24 Jun 2022 8:24]

Ah, Jimmy Robertson, I remember him well whenever he got the ball the crowd would roar in expectation. He was a very skilled win ger who could wow the crowd with his mazy runs, as you said it was a surprise that Spurs let him go and even more of a surprise that he ended up at Town, but such was Sir Bobs persuasive powers! If I remember rightly Robertson was part of two signings on the same day the other being Frank Clarke, a brilliant bit of business as we were second from bottom at the time but those two kept us up.
Marquee Signings on 09:29 - Jun 24 with 431 viewshoppy

Marquee Signings on 22:32 - Jun 23 by ghostofescobar

We had gazebo signings in the Evans era.

More like this kind of thing, in reality...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024