Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WiFi help 10:01 - Jul 12 with 885 viewsitfc_bucks

Nerds of twtd, I need your techy assistance.

I've recently become terribly posh and acquired a summer house at the bottom of my garden. A blessing on these roasting hot days. However, the WiFi doesn't quite make it far enough to work from. I've got it rigged for power, so someone has suggested getting TP Link Powerline gizmos.

Does that sound like a suitable suggestion?

I don't particularly fancy putting dow a shtload of Cat6 cable down.

I run off a bt WiFi hub, if that makes a difference.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 10:01]
WiFi help on 10:06 - Jul 12 with 844 viewsunbelievablue

Yeah pretty much the best non-cabled option.

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/devolo-magic-2-wifi-next-powerline-whole-home-

Edit - when you say rigged for power, I assume it's on the same circuit as your house?
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 10:09]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

WiFi help on 10:25 - Jul 12 with 745 viewsEJP

Do you have BT discs? If you do, give BT a shout and request an additional one.
I work out in my garage now which is away from the house and have a disc here to improve connectivity.
WiFi help on 10:29 - Jul 12 with 747 viewswkj

BT Hubs are about as powerful as a mouse's fart in a thunderstorm, so I find conventional signal boosters to be hit and miss quite often.

I would look at doing some research into a mesh network. They don't boost a wifi signal, instead they work as a single wi-fi network. Power lines, as has been suggested, can be viable also, but you need to be sure that the summer house and wifi router are on the same distro board for the electric. Additionaly, If there is a circuit breaker between the router and the powerline unit you will find the network has a break in it and will not work.

Another flaw in powerlines is that attenuation can be very noticeable over long distances, and often provide connection speeds less than what you receive on a 3G / 4G connection.

Ultimately, the best option in my opinion would be to have a physical point professionally installed or create a wifi tether with your mobile phone if you have adequate data and signal, although mesh networks can be a great alternative if they're set up correctly.

BT's discs mentioned by the poster above is an example of mesh networking
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 10:31]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

WiFi help on 10:48 - Jul 12 with 701 viewsitfc_bucks

WiFi help on 10:06 - Jul 12 by unbelievablue

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/devolo-magic-2-wifi-next-powerline-whole-home-

Edit - when you say rigged for power, I assume it's on the same circuit as your house?

yes, same circuit.
WiFi help on 10:50 - Jul 12 with 699 viewsDeano69

Ultimately, it is much better to run a couple of cables down to it, gives you the best signal and more options for other stuff like Sky etc.

We use Ethernet over power as a bit of a last resort, where building is listed or as a semi-temporary solution. They do a job, but sometimes need rebooting. We haven’t had too many performance issues as your internet connection is almost certainly slower than the connected speed of a power line.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

WiFi help on 11:00 - Jul 12 with 668 viewswkj

How far from the house is the summer house (as accurate as possible). If it is significantly far away (300-500m), PtP bridging is an alternative where you have a powered device on the home and the summer house that point at one another. Typically this is a business solution, but it becoming popular for home networking. The risk here is the wifi signal needs to be strong enough to reach the transmission point.

This method can be set up by the user, though it is advisable having a professional install it as there are mountable devices involved.

Crybaby

WiFi help on 11:04 - Jul 12 with 652 viewsElderGrizzly

WiFi help on 10:29 - Jul 12 by wkj

BT Hubs are about as powerful as a mouse's fart in a thunderstorm, so I find conventional signal boosters to be hit and miss quite often.

I would look at doing some research into a mesh network. They don't boost a wifi signal, instead they work as a single wi-fi network. Power lines, as has been suggested, can be viable also, but you need to be sure that the summer house and wifi router are on the same distro board for the electric. Additionaly, If there is a circuit breaker between the router and the powerline unit you will find the network has a break in it and will not work.

Another flaw in powerlines is that attenuation can be very noticeable over long distances, and often provide connection speeds less than what you receive on a 3G / 4G connection.

Ultimately, the best option in my opinion would be to have a physical point professionally installed or create a wifi tether with your mobile phone if you have adequate data and signal, although mesh networks can be a great alternative if they're set up correctly.

BT's discs mentioned by the poster above is an example of mesh networking
[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 10:31]

BT Discs are a good option. We've got 4 to give connectivity around the house and I get 3 bars in the workshop at the bottom of the garden.

Without them, I barely got a signal.
WiFi help on 11:06 - Jul 12 with 647 viewswkj

WiFi help on 11:04 - Jul 12 by ElderGrizzly

BT Discs are a good option. We've got 4 to give connectivity around the house and I get 3 bars in the workshop at the bottom of the garden.

Without them, I barely got a signal.

What is attenuation like on these? I've never done a BT disc installation before, but heard positive feedback about them.

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

WiFi help on 11:38 - Jul 12 with 583 viewsTractorBrew

WiFi help on 10:06 - Jul 12 by unbelievablue

We have an old house with thick walls and its across 3 floors, so got a few Devolo adapters. The WiFi and ethernet ones are particularly useful. They are worth the money, cheaper ones don't hack it in my experience. With the WiFi enabled plugs you get a mesh network supported by a powerline, so strength of signal between is less of an issue

As mentioned, we do get some drop off, and have a complex wring setup due to the house being extended, but the transmit speed is still greater than our connection speed, so no detriment to download speed in reality - worth opting for faster units if you think this could be an issue
WiFi help on 13:31 - Jul 12 with 494 viewsitfc_bucks

WiFi help on 11:00 - Jul 12 by wkj

How far from the house is the summer house (as accurate as possible). If it is significantly far away (300-500m), PtP bridging is an alternative where you have a powered device on the home and the summer house that point at one another. Typically this is a business solution, but it becoming popular for home networking. The risk here is the wifi signal needs to be strong enough to reach the transmission point.

This method can be set up by the user, though it is advisable having a professional install it as there are mountable devices involved.

sub 100m.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024