Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel Advice for London on 18th August 12:25 - Aug 2 with 1170 viewsBlueForYou

I have tickets for the Test match aginst South Africa at Lords on 18th August. Also have train tickets booked, however there is now a train strike on that day, so need to find an alternative. Three of us travelling from West Suffolk. If I were to drive & park, what are my choices for getting to & from that area of London, bearing in mind parking will need to be for 10 hours or so? I've been to Lords many times but have always accessed it from the south. Genuinely flummoxed on this one. Any recommendations gratefully received. BFY
Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 12:28 - Aug 2 with 1111 viewsZx1988

Depending on times, Epping tends to be a fairly safe bet. There's an all-day rate for parking there, so you wouldn't have to worry about overstaying or running up massive charges.

I know that pre-pandemic it was the sort of place that you'd have to get to nice and early in order to get a space, but I can't comment on how it all works these days.

Bit of a trek in on the Tube, but you'd only have to change once to get to St John's Wood.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 12:42 - Aug 2 with 1070 viewsJakeITFC

I’d probably drive and park at Westfield Stratford (quite reasonable to park there all day) and then the Jubilee (about half an hour direct to St John’s Wood). Loads of spaces and an easy enough get away onto the M11 after.
Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 13:00 - Aug 2 with 1031 viewscookra

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 12:42 - Aug 2 by JakeITFC

I’d probably drive and park at Westfield Stratford (quite reasonable to park there all day) and then the Jubilee (about half an hour direct to St John’s Wood). Loads of spaces and an easy enough get away onto the M11 after.

even cheaper if you can get parked up on the Stratford international car park
https://stratfordintl.co.uk/parking

or even more better....save your money , time and effort and stay home instead of watching cricket :)
Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 13:02 - Aug 2 with 1032 viewsSWGF

Newbury Park was always the place to park when there were train issues but that was a few years ago.

Careful with the emissions zone, etc, if you go too central

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 13:12 - Aug 2 with 1002 viewsSitfcB

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 13:02 - Aug 2 by SWGF

Newbury Park was always the place to park when there were train issues but that was a few years ago.

Careful with the emissions zone, etc, if you go too central

I always park at Newbury Park, never a problem and only £6 for the day during the week, £3 Saturdays, £2 Sundays.

But if they’re going from West Suffolk, Epping, as mentioned, would probably be better. Straight down the A11.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 13:29 - Aug 2 with 959 viewshomer_123

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 13:12 - Aug 2 by SitfcB

I always park at Newbury Park, never a problem and only £6 for the day during the week, £3 Saturdays, £2 Sundays.

But if they’re going from West Suffolk, Epping, as mentioned, would probably be better. Straight down the A11.

Haven't they halved the car park there though?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 13:57 - Aug 2 with 933 viewsSitfcB

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 13:29 - Aug 2 by homer_123

Haven't they halved the car park there though?

At Epping? Not been there for a few years.

COYB

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 14:15 - Aug 2 with 912 viewshomer_123

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 13:57 - Aug 2 by SitfcB

At Epping? Not been there for a few years.

Newbury Park.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 14:55 - Aug 2 with 889 viewsBlueForYou

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone ever parked at or near Stanmore, which is the other end of the Jubilee line? I noticed there is a car park there which can be prebooked. Never been there so I've no idea.
Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 15:10 - Aug 2 with 868 viewsSteve_M

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 14:55 - Aug 2 by BlueForYou

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone ever parked at or near Stanmore, which is the other end of the Jubilee line? I noticed there is a car park there which can be prebooked. Never been there so I've no idea.

I was going to mention Stanmore, my mate has parked there over a couple of nights when I used to live in West Hampstead and he came down for the cricket. It is fine and straightforward on the Jubilee line.

If you do that way, you could walk up to Swiss Cottage afterwards which is probably 10 minutes from SJW tube but will be quicker than queuing.

re: other suggestions in the thread. Epping and Newbury Park on the Central line take ages to get to Stratford, let alone from there, so not ideal for Lord's unless very easy to get to by car.

I'm at Lord's that Thursday as well but fortunately I can walk.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 15:49 - Aug 2 with 828 viewsSitfcB

Travel Advice for London on 18th August on 14:15 - Aug 2 by homer_123

Newbury Park.

They were doing some work on it last year but back to normal now.

It’s sometimes closed over the weekend when there’s bus replacements in place, the main bit anyway, but there’s another little car park on the other side of the line.

COYB

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024