Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trypophobia adverts on twtd 18:54 - Sep 4 with 1863 viewsZXBlue

This will sound silly to most. I suffer from trypophobia. Its an irrational fear / reaction to certain organic holes patterns. Not cripplingly so, but sufficiently that certain images or sights can cause me to obsess about them, mentally, for minutes, hours or sometimes even days. Really not comfortable and on rare occasions (one in particular) it has really messed with my mood and wellbeing for days on end. The weird thing is, its a bit like the old saying about car crashes. You can't not look, when you catch a glimpse of it.

For a long time, TWTD and some other sites have occasionally had spam links / ads that are clearly solely desigend to cause that unpelasant reaction in people. You know the ads in the midst of a thread which say "you'll never believe how much house prices are in Theale" or "Where Clint Eastwood lives now will make you sad", or "X went to the doctor, who called the police"?

More and more often there are those links with "man has strange bubbles on his finger" or that sort of thing, with an image (often crudely photoshopped and unrealistic, but still effective). This morning was a crude picture of a baby's nose with small organic holes crudely photoshopped inside it. I have just looked at my cat's nose which instincitvely reminded me of it, and have now felt off for the last 30 minutes and can't shift the image.

I don't think I can use TWTD without an adblocker anymore, or maybe just not on phone or tablet (I do have a blocker ont he pc anyway). This is the third day this week I have had an unpleasant time as a result of those ads. It is beyond me why such things are even made. The only reason must be to upset people. They are so ridiculously stupid as "stories" they are clearly clickbait designed to trigger people's phobia.
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 18:57 - Sep 4 with 1804 viewsDeano69

My daughter has the same

She couldn’t eat a crumpet the other day.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 18:59 - Sep 4 with 1791 viewsZXBlue

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 18:57 - Sep 4 by Deano69

My daughter has the same

She couldn’t eat a crumpet the other day.

Crumpets don't bother me too much.

I feel quite angry about the maliciousness of these ads/ links. There is no reason for them other than to trigger people.
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:02 - Sep 4 with 1777 viewsZoomba

I had to uninstall Chrome from my phone just so I could have adblock (sorry Phil/Gav/The other that shall not be named) on another browser because of these types of ads.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2022 19:03]
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:08 - Sep 4 with 1723 viewsjeera

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:02 - Sep 4 by Zoomba

I had to uninstall Chrome from my phone just so I could have adblock (sorry Phil/Gav/The other that shall not be named) on another browser because of these types of ads.

I would respectfully point out there is an ad-free option for a very modest annual subscription fee.

Otherwise we are expecting to use the service for free and of course for them to work for free.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:08 - Sep 4 with 1717 viewsBlueastheycome

I had to google it. Very interesting and sorry you have to experience that kind of distress.

It kind of reminds me about my own very weird affliction I had when I was around 8 or 9 years old. We had a desktop pc and on the cd/disc panel there was a label with very small paragraph of writing on it that was barely visible or readable. I used to obsess over it, and I became fixated on it. I had to stop what I was doing every few minutes and get close to it to read every single word, or otherwise I’d became distressed. However, every time I would read it, I was never really soothed. One day, it occurred to me I could just peel the label off and problem solved.

Not really relevant to you, so I apologise, but I guess we all have a really random quirks that make no sense for no real reason. I guess you could describe it as a glitch in our wiring.
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:10 - Sep 4 with 1704 viewsZXBlue

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:08 - Sep 4 by Blueastheycome

I had to google it. Very interesting and sorry you have to experience that kind of distress.

It kind of reminds me about my own very weird affliction I had when I was around 8 or 9 years old. We had a desktop pc and on the cd/disc panel there was a label with very small paragraph of writing on it that was barely visible or readable. I used to obsess over it, and I became fixated on it. I had to stop what I was doing every few minutes and get close to it to read every single word, or otherwise I’d became distressed. However, every time I would read it, I was never really soothed. One day, it occurred to me I could just peel the label off and problem solved.

Not really relevant to you, so I apologise, but I guess we all have a really random quirks that make no sense for no real reason. I guess you could describe it as a glitch in our wiring.

The thinking is that its some sort of evolutionary throwback to some signal of danger.
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:14 - Sep 4 with 1665 viewsSteve_M

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:08 - Sep 4 by jeera

I would respectfully point out there is an ad-free option for a very modest annual subscription fee.

Otherwise we are expecting to use the service for free and of course for them to work for free.

Indeed, it’s a reasonable price to pay to avoid ads given how much some of us are on here.

I think mine might have expired though, best DM Gav….

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:16 - Sep 4 with 1650 viewsZXBlue

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:14 - Sep 4 by Steve_M

Indeed, it’s a reasonable price to pay to avoid ads given how much some of us are on here.

I think mine might have expired though, best DM Gav….

I am unaware of this facility.
Login to get fewer ads

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:19 - Sep 4 with 1640 viewsBlueastheycome

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:10 - Sep 4 by ZXBlue

The thinking is that its some sort of evolutionary throwback to some signal of danger.

Thinking about it now.. I think it was something in how the very small black text appeared on the cd panel, it just looked like little black lines. I think perhaps me wanting to read it all of the time was me in a way responding to the distress.. as a way of trying to do something about it I guess.
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:23 - Sep 4 with 1621 viewsjeera

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:16 - Sep 4 by ZXBlue

I am unaware of this facility.

Well you and I know them as 'PMs' but Steve is younger and more with it.

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:23 - Sep 4 with 1619 viewsZXBlue

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:23 - Sep 4 by jeera

Well you and I know them as 'PMs' but Steve is younger and more with it.

I mean the paid ad free version
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:29 - Sep 4 with 1589 viewsjeera

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:23 - Sep 4 by ZXBlue

I mean the paid ad free version

I know. I was just being silly.

If you're interested, assuming the offer is still available, give Gav a shout and he will fill you in.

I've subscribed in the past and as a regular user it made a difference I have to say, although that way I would never find out why I might cry at Ben Shepard's home.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2022 20:07]

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:35 - Sep 4 with 1556 viewsMeadowlark

I know those pictures and although they do not trigger the same reaction in me, I do find them a little bit distasteful.
Although it might still be possible to get an advertisement free version of TWTD (?) these pictures seem to have started appearing quite regularly elsewhere.
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 20:03 - Sep 4 with 1481 viewsGavTWTD

Sorry to hear that some of the ads are a trigger. I've not heard of Trypophobia and will give it a look.

We do offer the facility to remove the ads from the site for £3 a month or £24 a year, to paypal@twtd.co.uk or we can supply our bank details.

Please note that those volunteering that they use an adblocker brings forward the day that we close the site and the wider internet will have more sites behind paywalls or close down. We try to keep the site free. If you're not logged in then we do have more ads so make sure that you're always signed in. I must say adblockers do genuinely depress me and browsers with blockers built in will at some point be blocked too.

Our costs are going up of course too.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 20:06 - Sep 4 with 1449 viewsZXBlue

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 20:03 - Sep 4 by GavTWTD

Sorry to hear that some of the ads are a trigger. I've not heard of Trypophobia and will give it a look.

We do offer the facility to remove the ads from the site for £3 a month or £24 a year, to paypal@twtd.co.uk or we can supply our bank details.

Please note that those volunteering that they use an adblocker brings forward the day that we close the site and the wider internet will have more sites behind paywalls or close down. We try to keep the site free. If you're not logged in then we do have more ads so make sure that you're always signed in. I must say adblockers do genuinely depress me and browsers with blockers built in will at some point be blocked too.

Noted.

These particular ads are especially unpleasant. Its not just like an ad with a spider accidentally triggering someone with that phobia, these are clearly deliberately designed purely to have that effect on someone. My spine is still physically tingling at the thought of it.
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 20:22 - Sep 4 with 1372 viewsGavTWTD

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 19:02 - Sep 4 by Zoomba

Thanks for the wonga Mr Zoomba. Adfree applied to your username. Replied to PM.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 20:30 - Sep 4 with 1296 viewsSitfcB

How much has a pack of Hobnobs gone up by?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 20:55 - Sep 4 with 1231 viewsIllinoisblue

Is MarkTWTD’s position in danger of being eliminated?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 21:07 - Sep 4 with 1181 viewsgtsb1966

I'm the same ZX and so is my daughter but not to the same extent as you. That taboola ad is horrible. There used to be a horrible picture of a foot full of holes. Used to make me feel very uneasy.
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 21:07 - Sep 4 with 1181 viewsCuffy81

I'm sorry to hear this has triggered your phobia, i have seen these ads for some time and they have always caused me anxiety, never been able to understand why, now i do
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 21:13 - Sep 4 with 1143 viewsZXBlue

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 21:07 - Sep 4 by gtsb1966

I'm the same ZX and so is my daughter but not to the same extent as you. That taboola ad is horrible. There used to be a horrible picture of a foot full of holes. Used to make me feel very uneasy.

I know the one. Its ridiculous, but somehow just hardwired and physical in terms of reaction. I hate the fact that somethign so irrational troubles me.

I have it far less than many. Some people are phsycially ill. I just get tingly spine, obsessive thoughts and sometimes nightmares.
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 21:17 - Sep 4 with 1131 viewsgtsb1966

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 21:13 - Sep 4 by ZXBlue

I know the one. Its ridiculous, but somehow just hardwired and physical in terms of reaction. I hate the fact that somethign so irrational troubles me.

I have it far less than many. Some people are phsycially ill. I just get tingly spine, obsessive thoughts and sometimes nightmares.

We would take the dog for a walk in the summer on Sudbury meadows and I used to hate looking at the ground trying to avoid the cowpats because of all the beetle holes. Weird isn't it.
Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 21:17 - Sep 4 with 1140 viewsWhos_blue

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
This place can be amazing sometimes.
I felt almost the same after viewing the finger image. The baby one was horrible too. It really made my skin crawl and I kept thinking about it.
Just thinking about it now makes me feel peculiar.
I'm not sure if I live with the same condition, but I'll look into it.

Edit.

The more I think about it, my overwhelming feeling is one of revulsion.
I think it's more related to the parasitic element than anything else. I don't feel the same about other holey things such as crumpets or sponges etc.
I remember an animal hospital programme years ago, it had a large reptile with a growth on its foot. When they cut it open it was made up of circular lumps.
It's given me goosebumps just thinking about it!
Wish I hadn't have gotten in to this now!!!
[Post edited 4 Sep 2022 21:39]

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 21:42 - Sep 4 with 1047 viewsCoastalblue

Trypophobia adverts on twtd on 20:22 - Sep 4 by GavTWTD

Thanks for the wonga Mr Zoomba. Adfree applied to your username. Replied to PM.

Gav is there any option to set the annual payment as a subscription? Mine runs out and I then forget about it for ages before asking you to renew it, I'd happily just set it as an annual payment.

I know you guys don't like to push it and it stays a bit under the radar, but a subtle link at the top of the site menu I don't think would do any harm.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024