Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ed 13:34 - Sep 30 with 1689 viewslongtimefan

Looks like Ed is facing more legal action....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63087419
Ed on 13:45 - Sep 30 with 1608 viewsjeera

Trying to extract money earned contemporarily via a track 50 years old.

Seems a desperate attempt to exploit but I guess if they continue to throw enough mud sooner or later some will stick.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Ed on 13:46 - Sep 30 with 1596 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

No doubt has a target on his back with all his success.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/ed-sheeran-most-tax-uk-celebrities-8652098

Nice that he pays his share to society too, hypocrites like Bono and Lewis Hamilton should take note.
Ed on 13:46 - Sep 30 with 1577 viewsGlasgowBlue

Marvin Gaye's estate are ruthlessly litigious when it comes to copyright. They've already had Pharrell over Blurrred Lines. They've been after Ed for this since 2019.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Ed on 13:48 - Sep 30 with 1590 viewsclive_baker

Trying not to be bias given he's a local lad and Town fan / stakeholder, but I really can't see it. Similar in that they're slow songs, but there's countless examples of those.

Can't see this claim having any legs in my non expert opinion.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Ed on 13:51 - Sep 30 with 1553 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ed on 13:45 - Sep 30 by jeera

Trying to extract money earned contemporarily via a track 50 years old.

Seems a desperate attempt to exploit but I guess if they continue to throw enough mud sooner or later some will stick.

US copyright law is the author's lifetime + 70 years. Marvin Gaye died in 1984 so the beneficiaries of his estate are entitled to come after somebody up until 2054 if they believe there has been a breach of copyright.

I'm not saying that Ed is guilty of a breach in this case but why should performers get writing royalties on songs that are rip offs of somebody else's work? Blurrred Lines was obviously a rewrite of Got To Give It Up Pt 1.

Iron Lion Zion

Ed on 13:52 - Sep 30 with 1546 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ed on 13:48 - Sep 30 by clive_baker

Trying not to be bias given he's a local lad and Town fan / stakeholder, but I really can't see it. Similar in that they're slow songs, but there's countless examples of those.

The chord progression is very similar imo. But it's very subtle and I don't see a copyright breach.

Iron Lion Zion

Ed on 14:00 - Sep 30 with 1489 viewsclive_baker

Ed on 13:52 - Sep 30 by GlasgowBlue

The chord progression is very similar imo. But it's very subtle and I don't see a copyright breach.

Very subjective isn't it. You would've thought there would be some bit of tech that could provide a 'closeness' score in these sort of circumstances based on various criteria. Could perhaps be used prior to an artist releasing anything too in order to avoid such legal claims. I would be petrified if I wrote a song that someone would come out of the woodwork down the line.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Ed on 19:25 - Sep 30 with 1285 viewsIllinoisblue

Vulture lawyers fishing for a pay day. Scum.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Ed on 19:30 - Sep 30 with 1281 viewsWeWereZombies

I imagine when he was told about this he said 'What's going on ?'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ed on 19:34 - Sep 30 with 1267 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ed on 13:48 - Sep 30 by clive_baker

The quieter part of the track throughout the verses (lol, I’m not musical so don’t know how to describe it) sounds almost identical to me. But then in the last case he was cleared I thought there were marked similarities too.

Maybe he’s a scholar of music and pays homage to some of the greats with, ahem, some subtle references

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ed on 19:41 - Sep 30 with 1237 viewsjeera

Ed on 13:51 - Sep 30 by GlasgowBlue

US copyright law is the author's lifetime + 70 years. Marvin Gaye died in 1984 so the beneficiaries of his estate are entitled to come after somebody up until 2054 if they believe there has been a breach of copyright.

I'm not saying that Ed is guilty of a breach in this case but why should performers get writing royalties on songs that are rip offs of somebody else's work? Blurrred Lines was obviously a rewrite of Got To Give It Up Pt 1.

It's not any beneficiary of Gaye's who are chasing this.

It is a firm who bought some of the rights of co-writer Ed Townsend.

Edit: I should say as far as I can see.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2022 19:48]

Ed on 19:46 - Sep 30 with 1217 viewsjeera

Ed on 19:34 - Sep 30 by Swansea_Blue

The quieter part of the track throughout the verses (lol, I’m not musical so don’t know how to describe it) sounds almost identical to me. But then in the last case he was cleared I thought there were marked similarities too.

Maybe he’s a scholar of music and pays homage to some of the greats with, ahem, some subtle references

It must be virtually impossible to write music and not be influenced by past sounds that you may/may not be knowingly familiar with.

Also given the nature of how songs generally follow finite possibilities when it comes to structure it must also be impossible to avoid all likeness of past works.

Unless there is clear and obvious plagiarism it seems opportunistic for these accusations to arise the way they do.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2022 19:56]

Ed on 19:49 - Sep 30 with 1209 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ed on 19:46 - Sep 30 by jeera

It must be virtually impossible to write music and not be influenced by past sounds that you may/may not be knowingly familiar with.

Also given the nature of how songs generally follow finite possibilities when it comes to structure it must also be impossible to avoid all likeness of past works.

Unless there is clear and obvious plagiarism it seems opportunistic for these accusations to arise the way they do.

I’m sure that will be his defence (and could be right).

I manage to make some unique sounds though, so you’d think someone with his talents would have no trouble.

Ed on 19:58 - Sep 30 with 1186 viewsjeera

Ed on 19:49 - Sep 30 by Swansea_Blue

I’m sure that will be his defence (and could be right).

I manage to make some unique sounds though, so you’d think someone with his talents would have no trouble.

Until Structured Assets start sponsoring Town shirts and promoting our club I'm with Ed.

I have an ulcer and am making some very unusual gurgling sounds.

Not sure if they can be sampled and used for much though.

Ed on 20:14 - Sep 30 with 1155 viewsCrayonKing

Ed on 19:46 - Sep 30 by jeera

This seems appropriate

Ed on 20:28 - Sep 30 with 1133 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ed on 19:41 - Sep 30 by jeera

It's not any beneficiary of Gaye's who are chasing this.

It is a firm who bought some of the rights of co-writer Ed Townsend.

Edit: I should say as far as I can see.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2022 19:48]

Fair enough. Didn’t realise that.

Iron Lion Zion

Ed on 20:30 - Sep 30 with 1130 viewsHARRY10

Ed on 14:00 - Sep 30 by clive_baker

Very subjective isn't it. You would've thought there would be some bit of tech that could provide a 'closeness' score in these sort of circumstances based on various criteria. Could perhaps be used prior to an artist releasing anything too in order to avoid such legal claims. I would be petrified if I wrote a song that someone would come out of the woodwork down the line.

I think you are perhaps muddling inadvertently, with deliberately

the thought is that the latter applies here

One mistake can happen, any more and it is beyond coincidence
Ed on 20:38 - Sep 30 with 1115 viewsbluefunk

Ed on 13:46 - Sep 30 by GlasgowBlue

Marvin Gaye's estate are ruthlessly litigious when it comes to copyright. They've already had Pharrell over Blurrred Lines. They've been after Ed for this since 2019.

Robin Thicke actually said that they were going for the same vibe as “Got To Give It Up”, and everything but the vocal was pretty much identical- much much more if a stretch to see the similarities between “Lets Get It On” and “Thinking Out Loud”
Ed on 20:48 - Sep 30 with 1088 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ed on 19:58 - Sep 30 by jeera

Until Structured Assets start sponsoring Town shirts and promoting our club I'm with Ed.

I have an ulcer and am making some very unusual gurgling sounds.

Not sure if they can be sampled and used for much though.

Sounds like the basis of a TWTD band. I need a chicken jalfrezi and 3 bottles of Kingfisher first though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024