Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does 4 at the back hold us back? 17:10 - Oct 25 with 999 viewsiamipswich

It's been noted that our previous 3-4-2-1 formation has slowly transformed into a 4-2-3-1 with the fullbacks more defensively minded than the previous wing backs (Burns, Davis/Thompson) It does seem to have coincided with a slight drop off in form of JD and going forward we've looked less potent and the overlapping from JD to Burns for example has reduced.

Is there an argument that we return to the previous system which allowed more fluidity from back to front or would you say stick to the newer system as it probably allows Evans and Morsy to play to their strengths more?

Interested in others' thoughts/observations.

Poll: Who will return first?

Does 4 at the back hold us back? on 17:17 - Oct 25 with 933 viewsDinDjarin

Not sure the formation has changed at all although we most probably play a few formations for the duration of each match.
Does 4 at the back hold us back? on 17:19 - Oct 25 with 930 viewsDubtractor

Not sure I agree that we've seen less attacking play from Donacien, but we've definitely seen a LOT of attacking play from Davis on the other side.

Donacien has had a couple of less impressive games though, I'd agree with that, but hopefully that's just a blip.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Does 4 at the back hold us back? on 17:31 - Oct 25 with 885 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Not sure anyone could really say which formation we play. KMc always says that it is something of a hybrid. I think it depends very much whether we are defending or attacking, winning or looking for a goal.

In any case, I think the only real thing wrong at the moment is our ability to put the ball away.
Does 4 at the back hold us back? on 17:47 - Oct 25 with 816 viewsLankHenners

We don't really play a set formation as such as it's all very fluid, although off the ball the shape has shifted to resemble 4231 more than it did when McKenna first arrived.

As Dub says we're using the left a lot more this season so not seeing so much of the Burns/JD link-up and sides tend to stick a lot of bodies on their left to stop it (which has seen us get success from having Evans switch the ball out to Davis on the opposite side).

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Does 4 at the back hold us back? on 17:50 - Oct 25 with 816 viewsBlueBadger

We've only lost twice, are top scorers in the division and are amongst the fewest conceded. I'd say probably not.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2022 18:07]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Does 4 at the back hold us back? on 17:53 - Oct 25 with 792 viewsDJR

It still strikes me as being more of a 3 than a 4 given the fact that Davis is generally much more advanced than the others, and only drops back when we are being attacked, which is not that often given our possession statistics.
Does 4 at the back hold us back? on 18:48 - Oct 25 with 676 views44_not_out

Does 4 at the back hold us back? on 17:53 - Oct 25 by DJR

It still strikes me as being more of a 3 than a 4 given the fact that Davis is generally much more advanced than the others, and only drops back when we are being attacked, which is not that often given our possession statistics.

As has been mentioned, we are very fluid and I think you are just looking at snapshots of the match. Yes, Davis does get in advanced areas often. However, what formation do you see when JD is overlapping and Davis is coming in at the back post? Plus Burns has drifted inside and is around the penalty box?

The best way to think of it is a ‘back four and a half’ at the back four with Burns (the half) given licence to effectively do what he wants when we go forward…. JD and LD are essentially full backs when we go forward and when we defend, it’s all get back and set up as a back 4/5 ….. genius really, especially if you see the opposition trying to find a way to play against us.
Does 4 at the back hold us back? on 19:01 - Oct 25 with 634 viewsGuthrum

For a large part of most games we have nobody in our half of the pitch apart from Walton (and sometimes he's only just).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Does 4 at the back hold us back? on 19:07 - Oct 25 with 599 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Who were the 3 and who are the 4?

I make it that we have always had 3 CBs with Burns and Leigh and then Davis on the left as wing backs. I think the system those personnel play and have done all season has been rather fluid.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024