Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goals 09:56 - Feb 13 with 749 viewsitfc48

It's blatantly obvious that we have to work a lot harder to score a goal than the opposition do to score against us. I'm sure the statto's new favourite metric xG will back this up.

Saturday was a great example - was incredibly underwhelmed by Wednesday as they seemed content at hoofing the ball up to two frontmen and living off those scrapes however they managed two goals using this tactic. Plymouth a far superior footballing side to Wednesday IMHO.

We love a cross. Lots of lovely intricate passing to shift the ball wide only to find a defender's boot or head. I wonder when teams are setting up like Wednesday did if it's worth going with Hurst and Ladapo to try and convert a few more of these crosses. Given the physical nature of these games, Chappers making way for the 2nd striker would be the option. He was anonymous first half and was fairly anonymous at Cambridge as well.

Don't get me wrong there are games that suit Chappers down to the ground however we need a plan b for when the bus parking timewasters are in town.

Goals on 11:32 - Feb 13 with 637 viewsBlueBadger

If it was the case that 'we have to work a lot harder to score a goal than the opposition do to score against us' then surely we'd be on a negative goal difference?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Goals on 11:52 - Feb 13 with 607 viewsHighgateBlue

Goals on 11:32 - Feb 13 by BlueBadger

If it was the case that 'we have to work a lot harder to score a goal than the opposition do to score against us' then surely we'd be on a negative goal difference?

I think the point being made is that we seem to have to create a lot more shots or chances in order to score each goal than other sides. Over the course of the season, even during our better period, that has been supported by the data.

One can debate what that is a symptom of, and what is the cure. I certainly don't have the answer.
Goals on 12:07 - Feb 13 with 584 viewsBlueBadger

Goals on 11:52 - Feb 13 by HighgateBlue

I think the point being made is that we seem to have to create a lot more shots or chances in order to score each goal than other sides. Over the course of the season, even during our better period, that has been supported by the data.

One can debate what that is a symptom of, and what is the cure. I certainly don't have the answer.

I suspect it mainly proves that our strikers are essentially division 3 standard and not particularly clinical.

If they were, they'd be playing at a higher level.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Goals on 15:00 - Feb 13 with 473 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"We have to work a lot harder to score a goal than the opposition do to score against us" is really just a summary of "we play less direct than most (all) other teams in this league". As a result we have to pass the ball a lot more than other teams in order to create a chance to score.

If we want to change that metric, we will need to be more direct in style. I don't think that is what most fans want us to do and certainly not the stated policy of the club management.

However, I do think it would do no harm to mix it up a little more than we do.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Goals on 19:25 - Feb 13 with 360 viewsDinDjarin

Goals on 15:00 - Feb 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

"We have to work a lot harder to score a goal than the opposition do to score against us" is really just a summary of "we play less direct than most (all) other teams in this league". As a result we have to pass the ball a lot more than other teams in order to create a chance to score.

If we want to change that metric, we will need to be more direct in style. I don't think that is what most fans want us to do and certainly not the stated policy of the club management.

However, I do think it would do no harm to mix it up a little more than we do.

Exactly that, mix it up.

We are too predictable and easy to dfend against as defenders know we will just knock it about in the centre of the pitch hand any well drilled defence can cope with that easily.

Second half we Cambridge it was obvious we were trying to get the ball wide quicker and bypassing thew 5 million passes usually take to switch play and we caused problems and got in some good 1v1 situations.

I love Morsy but sometimes he slows the game down too much and comes too deep to take the ball of the defenders. First half Saturday that was the case but he was excellent 2nd half and moving the ball a lot quicker.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024