Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EADT Access 20:34 - Apr 21 with 2128 viewsSkip_Intro

Is anyone else getting a paywall type subscription request every so often when they try to read articles on the EADT website?
The message I get is pasted below.
It would be a real shame if they went behind a paywall for the ITFC content - I wonder how many people would pay the £7.99 a month that they are asking for?

"Would you like to read more?

East Anglian Daily Times how much Norfolk and Waveney means to you. We've been a voice for local people for generations. We campaign, expose wrongdoing and hold power to account.

If you value our journalism and would like to finish reading this article, subscribe today. You can enjoy unlimited access to breaking news and regional exclusives on our website or ad-free app."
EADT Access on 20:41 - Apr 21 with 2072 viewsZx1988

The EDP has been doing this for a few months.

If there's anything you particularly want to read, add "www.12ft.io/" before the address of the article, and that will circumvent the paywall.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

EADT Access on 20:46 - Apr 21 with 2044 viewsHipsterectomy

I assumed this would happen. Dr Watson would give quite detailed match commentary on his twitter. He's since stopped that and it's now a paywalled thing I think.

(at least the club is amazing at it - I saw Scum's twitter and they literally just post goals, HT and FT)

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

EADT Access on 20:48 - Apr 21 with 2014 viewsSkip_Intro

EADT Access on 20:46 - Apr 21 by Hipsterectomy

I assumed this would happen. Dr Watson would give quite detailed match commentary on his twitter. He's since stopped that and it's now a paywalled thing I think.

(at least the club is amazing at it - I saw Scum's twitter and they literally just post goals, HT and FT)

it would be a real shame imo...I can't see many people paying £7.99 a month to access EADT...the ITFC coverage is very good but all other areas of the website are shockingly bad and seem to be written by people who chew crayons...
EADT Access on 21:21 - Apr 21 with 1942 viewsIllinoisblue

EADT Access on 20:48 - Apr 21 by Skip_Intro

it would be a real shame imo...I can't see many people paying £7.99 a month to access EADT...the ITFC coverage is very good but all other areas of the website are shockingly bad and seem to be written by people who chew crayons...

7.99 is their price point? Yeah. That’s not happening.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

EADT Access on 08:15 - Apr 22 with 1683 viewsDublinBlue84

It's obviously a decision that has been taken by Newsquest on a financial level.

The online version of the EADT and Ipswich Star these days are poor for news content, most articles are brief and often accompanied by out of date photos (or have generic ones if any at all) and are written by someone who clearly does not live in the area as contain inaccuracies that would be obvious for people who knew their area. They also are more and more clickbaity. Don't get me wrong you still get some decent articles, but the overall quality has fallen since Newsquest took over. ITFC coverage is their saving grace.

If you factor in that the match commentary has gone behind the paywall, and now as of the last 24 hours they've started to put clips on Youtube rather than full videos and then link to the full videos on their site and have also started to push a merch store, couple that in with the paywall and they've clearly been told that things as they are do not work commercially for Newsquest, hence the push for revenue via subscriptions, merch and traffic. Mike Bacon going was another sign of this, as was their cutting back of coverage of other sports.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2023 8:19]

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

EADT Access on 08:52 - Apr 22 with 1624 viewsBlueandTruesince82

EADT Access on 08:15 - Apr 22 by DublinBlue84

It's obviously a decision that has been taken by Newsquest on a financial level.

The online version of the EADT and Ipswich Star these days are poor for news content, most articles are brief and often accompanied by out of date photos (or have generic ones if any at all) and are written by someone who clearly does not live in the area as contain inaccuracies that would be obvious for people who knew their area. They also are more and more clickbaity. Don't get me wrong you still get some decent articles, but the overall quality has fallen since Newsquest took over. ITFC coverage is their saving grace.

If you factor in that the match commentary has gone behind the paywall, and now as of the last 24 hours they've started to put clips on Youtube rather than full videos and then link to the full videos on their site and have also started to push a merch store, couple that in with the paywall and they've clearly been told that things as they are do not work commercially for Newsquest, hence the push for revenue via subscriptions, merch and traffic. Mike Bacon going was another sign of this, as was their cutting back of coverage of other sports.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2023 8:19]

I think it's delusional, no one is going to pay that for local news and sports coverage.

Whilst I enjoy Andys Angles or whatever it is I'm not going to pay for that insight. I hope KOA doesn't go behind a pay wall, I still won't pay for it if it does.

I had noticed the EDP have done this for a while which has been quite annoying when Nodge have lost and I want to feel particularly smug by reading Chris Suttons tears and thought maybe it was EDP specific out a misplaced sense of grandeur on Scums behalf.

All the more reason to be thankful for Phils top notch coverage.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

EADT Access on 09:33 - Apr 22 with 1554 viewsDublinBlue84

EADT Access on 08:52 - Apr 22 by BlueandTruesince82

I think it's delusional, no one is going to pay that for local news and sports coverage.

Whilst I enjoy Andys Angles or whatever it is I'm not going to pay for that insight. I hope KOA doesn't go behind a pay wall, I still won't pay for it if it does.

I had noticed the EDP have done this for a while which has been quite annoying when Nodge have lost and I want to feel particularly smug by reading Chris Suttons tears and thought maybe it was EDP specific out a misplaced sense of grandeur on Scums behalf.

All the more reason to be thankful for Phils top notch coverage.

Probably the counter argument from Newsquest would be that paying their ITFC journalists to post content on third party media, such as YouTube and Twitter rather than their own media for which they sell advertising on, does little to help the organisation directly and may cannibalise advertising revenue

I can kind of see why they might think that, although you could argue that the shows on YouTube and the content on twitter acts as a tool to encourage engagement with supporters and promotes their content on their website to others who may not normally read it and serves as advertising for their written output.

I agree though that if they are to charge a premium for access to news content they need to up their game on the local news front.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

EADT Access on 09:44 - Apr 22 with 1514 viewsZx1988

If the EADT/Star relationship is the same as the EDP/Evening News setup, chances are that there's currently no paywall on the Star. A lot of the Ipswich/ITFC content might be able to be read for free there.

Login to get fewer ads

EADT Access on 09:46 - Apr 22 with 1506 viewsBlueandTruesince82

EADT Access on 09:33 - Apr 22 by DublinBlue84

Probably the counter argument from Newsquest would be that paying their ITFC journalists to post content on third party media, such as YouTube and Twitter rather than their own media for which they sell advertising on, does little to help the organisation directly and may cannibalise advertising revenue

I can kind of see why they might think that, although you could argue that the shows on YouTube and the content on twitter acts as a tool to encourage engagement with supporters and promotes their content on their website to others who may not normally read it and serves as advertising for their written output.

I agree though that if they are to charge a premium for access to news content they need to up their game on the local news front.

I would say to them that 1.. twitter certainly drives traffic to their site, maybe less so YouTube but agree that both drive engagement which can only be a good thing.

2. Tell your journos they are limited to what they can post if it's that bigger concern. I'd imagine it's shooting themselves in the foot.

I realise its a struggle for all traditional print outlets but in a world with so much free news coverage I just don't see enough people willing to pay and by putting a pay wall up you're simply reducing your audience further

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

EADT Access on 09:54 - Apr 22 with 1478 viewsZx1988

EADT Access on 21:21 - Apr 21 by Illinoisblue

7.99 is their price point? Yeah. That’s not happening.

Yeah, the quality would need to improve tenfold for me to even consider paying £8 a month for access.

The level of journalism that goes on at the former Archant publications is laughable. Clickbait abounds, and their journalists seem to have forgotten that, for example, investigating and asking questions is a key part of the job:

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/23470724.new-firm-takes-old-pedros-site-cha

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/23449787.former-mindoro-restaurant-westlega

EADT Access on 11:28 - Apr 22 with 1309 viewsBigCommon

Imagine overpricing something, via a paywall, merch store, social media platform subscription, etc. And then asking people to hand over all their personal data to recieve that product ....?
Anyone would think, that somebody, somewhere, was compiling data bases full of punters willing to over pay for stuff... Hmm, wonder if that's ever been done?
Wait....Hang on a minute... Data base of punters willing to buy 10 pound notes fot 20 quid, and access to Those punters 24/7... Who'd have thought it?
EADT Access on 11:49 - Apr 22 with 1267 viewsZx1988

EADT Access on 11:28 - Apr 22 by BigCommon

Imagine overpricing something, via a paywall, merch store, social media platform subscription, etc. And then asking people to hand over all their personal data to recieve that product ....?
Anyone would think, that somebody, somewhere, was compiling data bases full of punters willing to over pay for stuff... Hmm, wonder if that's ever been done?
Wait....Hang on a minute... Data base of punters willing to buy 10 pound notes fot 20 quid, and access to Those punters 24/7... Who'd have thought it?

I worry you might be overthinking this a bit...

EADT Access on 12:29 - Apr 22 with 1204 viewsBigCommon

EADT Access on 11:49 - Apr 22 by Zx1988

I worry you might be overthinking this a bit...

No need to worry... And there's no overthinking.. It's something quite simple, in fact..
Data bases, of people with proven disposable income, are gold dust.
EADT Access on 13:03 - Apr 22 with 1134 viewsNeedhamChris

EADT Access on 12:29 - Apr 22 by BigCommon

No need to worry... And there's no overthinking.. It's something quite simple, in fact..

What are you going on about?

ITFC have a database of people who have enough money to buy tickets - does that upset you also?

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

EADT Access on 13:33 - Apr 22 with 1099 viewsZx1988

EADT Access on 12:29 - Apr 22 by BigCommon

Hence why they're incredibly well-protected by law.

Just because you buy a KoA hoodie, an EADT subscription, or an ITFC season ticket, doesn't mean that you're going to end up on some sort of global 'likely customers' list.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024