Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season 07:26 - May 13 with 2025 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

When you read the Owlstalks threads from February, preening about how they know how to make it out of L1 and mocking ITFCs passing game etc.
The satisfying lesson is that you have to trust the process. McKenna stayed calm and trusted the process. What we could see with our eyes told us we were the best team. All the stats told us we we the best team. Yet we kept drawing games. Even diehard TWTDers were seeking answers, asking what was wrong, doubting. But McKenna, and he clearly transmitted this to the players, just trusted the process. We can all learn from that.

Poll: would you rather

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 08:14 - May 13 with 1858 viewsGuthrum

I don't think it was quite as simple as your second paragraph. McKenna adapted his "process".

He tweaked the team, bringing in Broadhead to give more drive and penetration on the left, Hirst to provide something slightly different to Ladapo up front and Luongo for more control in midfield (with Evans and Ball out of action).

Plus he altered the style a bit. We were going long from the back much more often in the latter part of the season. Coupled with an emphasis on drawing tight defences out towards us, then playing through or over them, rather than simply pressing as high up as we could. There was a greater willingness to engage in aerial battles.

Some of these were things which the fans could see, too - particularly the problem of the "low block". But McKenna found ways to overcome them with cleverness, not simply sticking with the same formula in the hope it would start working again.

That deep analysing of the situation and careful alterations based upon it (while keeping the whole squad with the programme) are what makes McKenna a superior manager.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 08:24 - May 13 with 1809 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 08:14 - May 13 by Guthrum

I don't think it was quite as simple as your second paragraph. McKenna adapted his "process".

He tweaked the team, bringing in Broadhead to give more drive and penetration on the left, Hirst to provide something slightly different to Ladapo up front and Luongo for more control in midfield (with Evans and Ball out of action).

Plus he altered the style a bit. We were going long from the back much more often in the latter part of the season. Coupled with an emphasis on drawing tight defences out towards us, then playing through or over them, rather than simply pressing as high up as we could. There was a greater willingness to engage in aerial battles.

Some of these were things which the fans could see, too - particularly the problem of the "low block". But McKenna found ways to overcome them with cleverness, not simply sticking with the same formula in the hope it would start working again.

That deep analysing of the situation and careful alterations based upon it (while keeping the whole squad with the programme) are what makes McKenna a superior manager.

Agree Guthers, but that is all part of the process. The process (in my book) is the bigger process of having a philosophy throughout the club, getting in the right manager, getting the training pitches sorted, and getting in additions that are better than what went before, whilst staying with the playing out from the back, and seeing where we can be better still (e.g. faster/crossfield and more incisive attacks). Kieran said repeatedly that we just focus on what we can do and not worry about other teams. When all around were wobbling, Kieran had nerves of steel and just stayed with the process (with tweaks).

Poll: would you rather

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 08:48 - May 13 with 1724 viewsGuthrum

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 08:24 - May 13 by LegendofthePhoenix

Agree Guthers, but that is all part of the process. The process (in my book) is the bigger process of having a philosophy throughout the club, getting in the right manager, getting the training pitches sorted, and getting in additions that are better than what went before, whilst staying with the playing out from the back, and seeing where we can be better still (e.g. faster/crossfield and more incisive attacks). Kieran said repeatedly that we just focus on what we can do and not worry about other teams. When all around were wobbling, Kieran had nerves of steel and just stayed with the process (with tweaks).

Your word 'process' is much better than "method". A process implies something ongoing, fluid, moving forwards, whereas a method is a fixed way of doing something.

Cook and Hurst both had a method. When it didn't work, they had to start looking for a "Plan B" (or not, as the case may be). Having a more holistic process, as you outline it, allowed McKenna to adapt without breaking the system or being seen as bending with the wind.

I visualise McKenna's thought processes during the Winter Wobble as being less about having nerves of steel and more: "I wonder what is the best way to fix this ... hmm ... let's have a look at those videos and datasets again." More being engrossed in the problem-solving (and confident in his ability to do so) than grimly holding on.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 10:04 - May 13 with 1599 viewsPlums

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 08:48 - May 13 by Guthrum

Your word 'process' is much better than "method". A process implies something ongoing, fluid, moving forwards, whereas a method is a fixed way of doing something.

Cook and Hurst both had a method. When it didn't work, they had to start looking for a "Plan B" (or not, as the case may be). Having a more holistic process, as you outline it, allowed McKenna to adapt without breaking the system or being seen as bending with the wind.

I visualise McKenna's thought processes during the Winter Wobble as being less about having nerves of steel and more: "I wonder what is the best way to fix this ... hmm ... let's have a look at those videos and datasets again." More being engrossed in the problem-solving (and confident in his ability to do so) than grimly holding on.

This is an interesting thread. I got slammed on Twitter by a couple for suggesting we 'trust the process' in mid-February.
By that, I meant it was evident that when things were going slightly off beam in terms of results (it was never catastrophic), it was evident that the players kept using McKenna's approach as they believed in it. At no time did we resort to aimless long balls or panic, the team kept working to the process to the final whistle.

Some saw that as 'no plan B' but in reality, plan B was evolving as described, more direct at times (but under control), keep the ball in play, play out from the back, release into the space it creates etc.

Where I think the step change came was after Bristol Rovers away, something happened (and we may never know what) where the intensity of our game increased significantly.

Perhaps it was the trust increasing to the point where players could do it at speed, perhaps it was McKenna firing them up. What's evident is that the fundamentals didn't change but the delivery of it did and it was a joy to see!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 10:23 - May 13 with 1542 viewswkj

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 08:14 - May 13 by Guthrum

This is why we are lucky to have McKenna, he's got a very broad appreciation for the game and doesn't come married to tactics or formations. Unlike Cook who had good success with his system and formation before joining us, but seldom moved away from it.

I think the science of football is MUCH more appealing to younger managers and I think we will start seeing a lot more teams land managers who take this adaptive approach.
[Post edited 13 May 2023 10:24]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 11:20 - May 13 with 1386 viewsPendejo

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 10:04 - May 13 by Plums

This is an interesting thread. I got slammed on Twitter by a couple for suggesting we 'trust the process' in mid-February.
By that, I meant it was evident that when things were going slightly off beam in terms of results (it was never catastrophic), it was evident that the players kept using McKenna's approach as they believed in it. At no time did we resort to aimless long balls or panic, the team kept working to the process to the final whistle.

Some saw that as 'no plan B' but in reality, plan B was evolving as described, more direct at times (but under control), keep the ball in play, play out from the back, release into the space it creates etc.

Where I think the step change came was after Bristol Rovers away, something happened (and we may never know what) where the intensity of our game increased significantly.

Perhaps it was the trust increasing to the point where players could do it at speed, perhaps it was McKenna firing them up. What's evident is that the fundamentals didn't change but the delivery of it did and it was a joy to see!

Bristol Rovers away is interesting and worthy of a deep dive investigation, if someone is up for it.

I'd love to talk to McKenna and the players, especially Morsey about that night

Town rolled up in Bristol expecting to roll over Rovers, at least the fans did, didn't they?
The game ended 0-0 and there's footage from Ipswich fans that went viral and was off used by Wendies to mock us. From what I understand it got a bit toxic and Morsey exchanged words with some Town fans.

Last time that happened was at the Valley in December 2021 and had a detrimental effect on Toto's career at Town.

In this instance it was followed by an 8 game winning run, no goals conceded.

I'd really love to know what exactly happened from the final whistle to the next game that catapulted them to giant status.

We've got your Keiran McKenna!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 11:48 - May 13 with 1324 viewsHipsterectomy

People were often praising McKenna for adapting his starting 11 for every match last season and half of this season. It was only when he stopped doing that and swapping players to give starts to the likes of Jackson, Keogh, Aluko, Harness etc that we were relentless

Thing like incorporating long balls when pressure is on us weren't something we were doing for most of the season, yet we used them well

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 11:53 - May 13 with 1305 viewsBluroo

Coaching, evolution and continual improvement literally IS the process!
Login to get fewer ads

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 00:15 - May 14 with 1022 viewsketton_itfc

Probably the most satisfying lesson from the season on 11:20 - May 13 by Pendejo

Bristol Rovers away is interesting and worthy of a deep dive investigation, if someone is up for it.

I'd love to talk to McKenna and the players, especially Morsey about that night

Town rolled up in Bristol expecting to roll over Rovers, at least the fans did, didn't they?
The game ended 0-0 and there's footage from Ipswich fans that went viral and was off used by Wendies to mock us. From what I understand it got a bit toxic and Morsey exchanged words with some Town fans.

Last time that happened was at the Valley in December 2021 and had a detrimental effect on Toto's career at Town.

In this instance it was followed by an 8 game winning run, no goals conceded.

I'd really love to know what exactly happened from the final whistle to the next game that catapulted them to giant status.

We've got your Keiran McKenna!

I seem to recall the players or KMc mentioning about they had a meeting after the Rovers game and the general thrust of the meeting was that the players were told they should forget about the league table, ignore the noises from everyone outside the club and just concentrate on one game at a time, that kind of thing.
Boy did it work!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024