Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! 17:22 - Sep 1 with 1975 viewsghostofescobar

Two months off, then back for just one day a week next year. Blimey. End (ish) of an era.

GhostOfEscobar

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:29 - Sep 1 with 1926 viewsSteve_M

The quality and interest continues to drop unfortunately. The replacement for Marc Riley's 7pm show is generally tedious and I find myself listening far less.

I know BBC have historically failed to refresh schedules and the era of Radio 1 being dominated by DLT et al was laughable but they do seem determined to ruin what works for people who are their strongest supporters. See also the dumbing down of BBC4.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:41 - Sep 1 with 1857 viewsDubtractor

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:29 - Sep 1 by Steve_M

The quality and interest continues to drop unfortunately. The replacement for Marc Riley's 7pm show is generally tedious and I find myself listening far less.

I know BBC have historically failed to refresh schedules and the era of Radio 1 being dominated by DLT et al was laughable but they do seem determined to ruin what works for people who are their strongest supporters. See also the dumbing down of BBC4.

The loss of Marc Rileys show (at that time) was criminal. The music mix on the replacement show is so hit and miss.

I'd be interested to see what has happened to listener numbers, albeit 'popularity' shouldn't be the be all and end all.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:46 - Sep 1 with 1811 viewsMelford

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:29 - Sep 1 by Steve_M

Not 6 Music but BBC Radio related.

They're getting rid of Bernie Keith's Rock 'n' Roll Heaven. Gutted. Best 2 hours of radio of the week.

I want to thank everyone for your kindness and support over the last 3 days.
As it stands, our last Saturday show to all 4 stations will be this weekend - 2nd September - and then I'm contracted to do 4 more editions on Sundays between 2 and 4 in the afternoon until and including October 1st. These 4 will be to just Radio Northampton and Three Counties Radio but will be available online and on BBC Sounds. I'm doing them because to have rock'n'roll and our great artists on the radio at all is a rare bonus, but I haven't been offered any more after that and Sunday to 2 stations just doesn't grab me.
I can't thank you enough for your messages and actions of support. I am aware of the petition and other plans of campaign (!) and I have read all your comments on here: I am both humbled and grateful, but also slightly embarrassed by the attention. Many make me sad, some make me laugh (Bob's plans to set fire to his Radio Northampton clock in protest despite it keeping perfect time!), but mostly they make me feel very grateful that you've allowed me into your lives. I have received hundreds of emails/ texts/ whats apps since Saturday and I have forwarded them all to management. I had warned them at all levels that there would be a negative reaction but I suspect this amount may shock them, as it has me. Rock'n'roll and community matter to people.
To be honest, complaining to me will do no good, although I've passed them on, as I say. I have been told to direct you to the BBC Complaints procedure. Use the following link and scroll to "General BBC" and head your complaint 'Rock'n'Roll Heaven' or 'BBC East'. I should add that the BBC has given us a unique gift for 13 years for which I am truly grateful: for all its faults, it remains the greatest honour of my life to broadcast on the BBC and I will be forever proud that we have come this far. https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint
I remain optimistic and believe that we have something too good to be ended, so we shall see.
With lasting thanks,
Bernxx

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:57 - Sep 1 with 1751 viewsSteve_M

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:41 - Sep 1 by Dubtractor

The loss of Marc Rileys show (at that time) was criminal. The music mix on the replacement show is so hit and miss.

I'd be interested to see what has happened to listener numbers, albeit 'popularity' shouldn't be the be all and end all.

Yes, I picked up so much new music that I really like from Riley but it was a nice backdrop too an evening.

I have just seen that Huw Stephens is picking up Lamacq's show so that's not the worst replacement.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:59 - Sep 1 with 1747 viewsDJR

That's a real shame. Has he been poached by someone else?
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 18:00]
OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 18:13 - Sep 1 with 1696 viewsDubtractor

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:57 - Sep 1 by Steve_M

Yes, I picked up so much new music that I really like from Riley but it was a nice backdrop too an evening.

I have just seen that Huw Stephens is picking up Lamacq's show so that's not the worst replacement.

Tbh I think it might be an improvement, really rate Huw Stephens, and think lamaqc had got a bit stale (understandably!)

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 18:45 - Sep 1 with 1654 viewsgainsboroughblue

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:57 - Sep 1 by Steve_M

I listened to Riley's show every night in the same way I did John Peel's.

Gutted that went.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 19:01 - Sep 1 with 1616 viewsDJR

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:59 - Sep 1 by DJR

That's a real shame. Has he been poached by someone else?
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 18:00]

It seems not, so I suppose one can't blame the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66680888
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 19:21]
Login to get fewer ads

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 12:09 - Sep 2 with 1434 viewsWhos_blue

For me it feels a bit like all good things come to an end. I was starting to find the show a bit samey. Huw Stephens will be a great replacement and will freshen things up a bit. That said, I hope they keep round table and the Friday free for all.
I know I need to get over it, but I'm still gutted they moved Radmac to weekend mornings. I love their show.
More generally, I do feel 6 is losing it's way a bit.
I really enjoy Jo Whiley and wouldn't be sad to her move to 6, but she still has a strong show on 2.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 12:21 - Sep 2 with 1409 viewsbrazil1982

Local radio being re shuffled, shared and cut from next week too. Suffolk will be sharing a lot with BBC Norfolk so we know whete the focus will be there....
OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 12:37 - Sep 2 with 1388 viewsBLUEBEAT

Ipswich Community Radio is hella good

https://www.ipswichcommunityradio.com/

Poll: W or W

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 13:15 - Sep 2 with 1345 viewsBluespeed225

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 17:46 - Sep 1 by Melford

Not 6 Music but BBC Radio related.

They're getting rid of Bernie Keith's Rock 'n' Roll Heaven. Gutted. Best 2 hours of radio of the week.

I want to thank everyone for your kindness and support over the last 3 days.
As it stands, our last Saturday show to all 4 stations will be this weekend - 2nd September - and then I'm contracted to do 4 more editions on Sundays between 2 and 4 in the afternoon until and including October 1st. These 4 will be to just Radio Northampton and Three Counties Radio but will be available online and on BBC Sounds. I'm doing them because to have rock'n'roll and our great artists on the radio at all is a rare bonus, but I haven't been offered any more after that and Sunday to 2 stations just doesn't grab me.
I can't thank you enough for your messages and actions of support. I am aware of the petition and other plans of campaign (!) and I have read all your comments on here: I am both humbled and grateful, but also slightly embarrassed by the attention. Many make me sad, some make me laugh (Bob's plans to set fire to his Radio Northampton clock in protest despite it keeping perfect time!), but mostly they make me feel very grateful that you've allowed me into your lives. I have received hundreds of emails/ texts/ whats apps since Saturday and I have forwarded them all to management. I had warned them at all levels that there would be a negative reaction but I suspect this amount may shock them, as it has me. Rock'n'roll and community matter to people.
To be honest, complaining to me will do no good, although I've passed them on, as I say. I have been told to direct you to the BBC Complaints procedure. Use the following link and scroll to "General BBC" and head your complaint 'Rock'n'Roll Heaven' or 'BBC East'. I should add that the BBC has given us a unique gift for 13 years for which I am truly grateful: for all its faults, it remains the greatest honour of my life to broadcast on the BBC and I will be forever proud that we have come this far. https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint
I remain optimistic and believe that we have something too good to be ended, so we shall see.
With lasting thanks,
Bernxx

Used to love that show after radio Suffolk footy finished. When did we stop getting it on Suffolk, 6/7 years? Sunday night had a Northern Soul show from Northampton as well, also taken away about the same time.
OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 13:50 - Sep 2 with 1317 viewsthatbdude

Decided to listen to it for the first time in years and it has definitely gone downhill, especially after Marc Riley's show ended.

This (Steve Lamacq leaving) would put the final nail in the coffin for Radio 6

Poll: Who going down?

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 21:44 - Sep 2 with 1206 viewsDJR

After listening to Final Score on Radio Suffolk after a game, I often tune into Radio Kent as I approach Kent and pick up the following, which I believe is the most downloaded podcast on BBC Sounds. It features punk and indie and goes out on various BBC local radio stations but not Radio Suffolk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0g6m3xv
[Post edited 2 Sep 2023 21:45]
OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 21:47 - Sep 2 with 1193 viewsgainsboroughblue

OMG, Steve Lamacq leaving 6 Music (sort of)! on 21:44 - Sep 2 by DJR

After listening to Final Score on Radio Suffolk after a game, I often tune into Radio Kent as I approach Kent and pick up the following, which I believe is the most downloaded podcast on BBC Sounds. It features punk and indie and goes out on various BBC local radio stations but not Radio Suffolk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0g6m3xv
[Post edited 2 Sep 2023 21:45]

That looks a belter of a show.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024