Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atmosphere at Portman Road 15:19 - Sep 6 with 2720 viewsHciwspi

A lot has been said about the atmosphere at Portman Road over the years.

I’m now wondering if people just couldn’t really be bothered in recent times, because there has been quite a jump since GC took over and this season it’s been the best for a long long time.

I sit in block F of the Magnus and it’s great to see the Section 5/6 and Block A corner going for it and a lot of the time it spreads around the whole ground.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2023 15:20]
Atmosphere at Portman Road on 15:27 - Sep 6 with 2647 viewsSteve_M

It was pretty good in 2014-15, with a full ground and a competitive team then too. I think that might be the key.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 16:13 - Sep 6 with 2452 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 15:27 - Sep 6 by Steve_M

It was pretty good in 2014-15, with a full ground and a competitive team then too. I think that might be the key.

I seem to rember the crowds being OK back then, but not comparable with what we get now. Obviously a long way to go this season so there might be some drop off. Probably an average of about 20k back then, but I'm just going off memory and the fact that the only games that were tricky to get a ticket to were against Norwich.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 16:54 - Sep 6 with 2320 viewsSteve_M

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 16:13 - Sep 6 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I seem to rember the crowds being OK back then, but not comparable with what we get now. Obviously a long way to go this season so there might be some drop off. Probably an average of about 20k back then, but I'm just going off memory and the fact that the only games that were tricky to get a ticket to were against Norwich.

The Charlton match, between Christmas and New Year had 27k in from memory and the Forest game at the end of the season even more. Not quite the same as now but it was pretty decent all round at Portman Road that season.

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 17:11 - Sep 6 with 2243 viewsburnbudgiesburn

It's also to do with the style of football as well imo

Crazy to think average attendances in the late 80's were stuck around the 12k mark and even our first season in the Prem was 18k
Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:08 - Sep 6 with 2049 viewsChurchman

Yes, it was a good atmosphere, but there was only one sellout. The Playoff game against that mob.

The average was 20,0000, the lowest was 15,726 against Brighton in Sept 2014.

But the team was competitive.
Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:12 - Sep 6 with 2021 viewssolemio

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:08 - Sep 6 by Churchman

Yes, it was a good atmosphere, but there was only one sellout. The Playoff game against that mob.

The average was 20,0000, the lowest was 15,726 against Brighton in Sept 2014.

But the team was competitive.

Two hundred thousand's not bad. A bit of a squash,
Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:13 - Sep 6 with 2017 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 16:54 - Sep 6 by Steve_M

The Charlton match, between Christmas and New Year had 27k in from memory and the Forest game at the end of the season even more. Not quite the same as now but it was pretty decent all round at Portman Road that season.

Oh fair enough, that's pretty good. It will be interesting to see what our numbers look like once we've had a few midweek games.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:15 - Sep 6 with 2012 viewsChurchman

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 16:54 - Sep 6 by Steve_M

Charlton (a night game) was 26k, Forest 25k according to wiki and my rubbish memory.

Leeds 21.5, Watford 22.5, Notlob 17.

It varied! But by and large compared to before and after they were good crowds - until Evans slithered away…
Login to get fewer ads

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:20 - Sep 6 with 1983 viewsBobbychase

Have to give credit to Blue Action, their expansion has coincided nicely with an upturn in the club's fortunes. Having them in Cobbold Block A to augment the SBR singing is making a difference this season.

Now we just need a few more singers in SAR. The acoustics in that top tier are actually the best in the stadium.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:42 - Sep 6 with 1878 viewsSteve_M

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:15 - Sep 6 by Churchman

Charlton (a night game) was 26k, Forest 25k according to wiki and my rubbish memory.

Leeds 21.5, Watford 22.5, Notlob 17.

It varied! But by and large compared to before and after they were good crowds - until Evans slithered away…

I thought that Forest match was fuller than that.

Pride of Anglia far better than Wiki but says you are right.

https://prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=seasons&text=2014-15&level=1

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:43 - Sep 6 with 1875 viewsFixed_It

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:20 - Sep 6 by Bobbychase

Have to give credit to Blue Action, their expansion has coincided nicely with an upturn in the club's fortunes. Having them in Cobbold Block A to augment the SBR singing is making a difference this season.

Now we just need a few more singers in SAR. The acoustics in that top tier are actually the best in the stadium.

It was pretty good up there against Cardiff.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 19:12 - Sep 6 with 1732 viewsChurchman

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:42 - Sep 6 by Steve_M

I thought that Forest match was fuller than that.

Pride of Anglia far better than Wiki but says you are right.

https://prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=seasons&text=2014-15&level=1

Yes, PoA is far better but I forgot about that.

I remember both games as pretty full and the car parks rammed, not least because most of the attendances were so much lower than the Forest / Charlton games. It’s all relative. It’s easy to forget that selling out PR was really rare event prior to the last couple of seasons.

I include bygone Lyall and Burley days in that.
Atmosphere at Portman Road on 11:23 - Sep 7 with 1298 viewsLion

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 18:12 - Sep 6 by solemio

Two hundred thousand's not bad. A bit of a squash,

Talking about a squash... back in 1991 when we won division 2 with John Lyall and got promoted to the first ever premiership, it was also the last ever all standing stadiums at that level. Our official maximum attendance was 27,836 or something like that. We had already been confirmed champions and we played and beat Brighton 3-1 that day. There was definitely more than 27,836 there. The north stand was SO packed, that as a 16 year old teenager we were packed so tight in there shoulder to shoulder that my feet were not even touching the ground and you were just sort of swaying around in the crowd ( especially when we scored . It was mental in those days, good times ) My mate actually fainted and got treated by St John's ambulance. Those were the days.....;0)

Poll: Is Blue Badger ( booooooooooooooo ) a cyber bully?

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 11:36 - Sep 7 with 1263 viewsSteve_M

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 19:12 - Sep 6 by Churchman

Yes, PoA is far better but I forgot about that.

I remember both games as pretty full and the car parks rammed, not least because most of the attendances were so much lower than the Forest / Charlton games. It’s all relative. It’s easy to forget that selling out PR was really rare event prior to the last couple of seasons.

I include bygone Lyall and Burley days in that.

The attendances under Burley are really quite low in hindsight, even in 99-00 it was rare to get much more than 17k for a game, capacity then somewhere between 22 and 23k. It finally ticked up at the end of that season but was pretty easy to still pick up tickets very late on.

That's after four seasons of consistently winning a lot of home matches, often by scoring a lot of goals.

91-92 saw maybe the biggest change across a season, barely more than 10k early on, increasing with big attendances against Cambridge and Liverpool but exceeding 20k regularly later on.

I've often argued that clubs needs those sort of stand out seasons to cement support, particularly amongst young fans. 91-92 took me from being vaguely interested to attending regularly and it's clear that the post-covid period has the potential to do the same.

That we hadn't had one of those for over 20 years, with honourable mentions for the Royle play-off years, 07-08 and Mick's good years, was one reason this club was drifting ever-downwards until comparatively recently.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 11:39]

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 12:33 - Sep 7 with 1157 viewsCuttsy

Atmosphere at Portman Road on 11:36 - Sep 7 by Steve_M

The attendances under Burley are really quite low in hindsight, even in 99-00 it was rare to get much more than 17k for a game, capacity then somewhere between 22 and 23k. It finally ticked up at the end of that season but was pretty easy to still pick up tickets very late on.

That's after four seasons of consistently winning a lot of home matches, often by scoring a lot of goals.

91-92 saw maybe the biggest change across a season, barely more than 10k early on, increasing with big attendances against Cambridge and Liverpool but exceeding 20k regularly later on.

I've often argued that clubs needs those sort of stand out seasons to cement support, particularly amongst young fans. 91-92 took me from being vaguely interested to attending regularly and it's clear that the post-covid period has the potential to do the same.

That we hadn't had one of those for over 20 years, with honourable mentions for the Royle play-off years, 07-08 and Mick's good years, was one reason this club was drifting ever-downwards until comparatively recently.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 11:39]

In the Burley era, Dad and I used to decide at 2:15pm on a match-day whether we wanted to go (we lived 30 minutes walk away) and were easily to get a ticket in the family closure on the cash turnstiles.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024