Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. 10:07 - Oct 27 with 1254 viewsLord_Lucan

Don't need anything extra special but may as well get something with a few bells and whistles.

I'm seeing things called fire TV and Roku TV

I already have fire sticks - or are these versions sort of built in to the TV?

https://business.currys.co.uk/catalogue/tv-entertainment/tvs/all-tvs/jvc-lt-43cf

https://business.currys.co.uk/catalogue/tv-entertainment/tvs/all-tvs/tcl-43rp630

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 10:11 - Oct 27 with 1220 viewsDanTheMan

"I already have fire sticks - or are these versions sort of built in to the TV?"

Yup, that's basically it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 12:15 - Oct 27 with 1133 viewsIllinoisblue

We’ve had a Toshiba ( Hello Tosh, got a…) Fire TV for a while. Works great. But really, all Smart TVs are not fit for purpose until you can get the Town TV app on there

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 12:20 - Oct 27 with 1124 viewsblueasfook

It sounds like a nice little 14" colour portable is what you want.

This one has even got a built-in VHS player

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 12:21 - Oct 27 with 1114 viewsDanTheMan

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 12:15 - Oct 27 by Illinoisblue

We’ve had a Toshiba ( Hello Tosh, got a…) Fire TV for a while. Works great. But really, all Smart TVs are not fit for purpose until you can get the Town TV app on there

I'm surprised TownTV doesn't support Android TV. Casting works fine of course but still a bit frustrating.

I might try force installing it at some point just to see if it'll work.

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 12:22 - Oct 27 with 1111 viewsnorfsufblue

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 12:20 - Oct 27 by blueasfook

It sounds like a nice little 14" colour portable is what you want.

This one has even got a built-in VHS player

My daughter won one of those on Saturday morning bbc tv for correctly identifying Pine Martin poo!
Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 13:11 - Oct 27 with 1042 viewsblueasfook

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 12:22 - Oct 27 by norfsufblue

My daughter won one of those on Saturday morning bbc tv for correctly identifying Pine Martin poo!

Hope she wasnt presented it by Jimmy Saville

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 13:20 - Oct 27 with 1031 viewsLord_Lucan

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 10:11 - Oct 27 by DanTheMan

"I already have fire sticks - or are these versions sort of built in to the TV?"

Yup, that's basically it.

Thanks to all.

Another thing, and imagine for one moment that I am an idiot.

What is the difference between a Roku and a Fire TV............and would I get the best of both worlds if I bought a Roku TV and plugged a fire stick into it?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 13:26 - Oct 27 with 1019 viewsDanTheMan

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 13:20 - Oct 27 by Lord_Lucan

Thanks to all.

What is the difference between a Roku and a Fire TV............and would I get the best of both worlds if I bought a Roku TV and plugged a fire stick into it?

Not too much difference from a user perspective other than there may be apps that one may have but the other doesn't, think a bit like Apple Vs. Android for phones.

And yes, if there's something you're missing that you can only do on Fire TV, get a stick and use that on the same TV.

You can even do it the other way around if you really wanted
https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/roku-streaming-stick-4k

Login to get fewer ads

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 14:35 - Oct 27 with 945 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 13:20 - Oct 27 by Lord_Lucan

Thanks to all.

No get just get Amazon, basically every app is going to work on both so you don't need ROKU and Amazon combined that would over complicate things. Even if it is considered a bad thing at this point Amazon is taking over the world, ROKU is not (actually they have been struggling recently financially).

An average to decent fire TV also does nice things, for example it pop's on on your TV when a delivery has been made, which can be helpful, depending on your living situation. If you use Alexa it even more of a no brainer. Just more functional really and they will likely only get more multi purpose.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2023 14:36]
Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 14:36 - Oct 27 with 944 viewsnorfsufblue

Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 13:11 - Oct 27 by blueasfook

Hope she wasnt presented it by Jimmy Saville

No fortunately it was a phone in and was delivered about a week after!
Techy stuff re TV's ------------ my office TV has blown up. on 16:45 - Oct 27 with 873 viewsLord_Lucan

Bought this

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/toshiba-fire-50-inch-50uf3d53db-4k-uhd-hdr-led-fr

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024