Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Comparisons with last season 09:17 - Nov 9 with 1457 viewsJohnTy

Our results last season fell neatly into three, with the middle section leading to some calls for McKenna to be sacked:

pre Charlton away, August to October: 11 wins 3 draws 2 defeats

Charlton to Bristol Rovers (end October to Mid Feb) 4 wins 9 draws 2 defeats

Rest of season 13 wins 2 draws

Now after 15 games our record is 11 3 1.

Remarkably similar to last season. Let us hope that the winter period is better than last year!

I
Comparisons with last season on 09:44 - Nov 9 with 1393 viewsbaxterbasics

You don't fancy a repeat of the rollercoaster, with Town dropping down the table to then go on a final 3rd run back up again? No me neither.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Comparisons with last season on 10:08 - Nov 9 with 1358 viewscatch74

Be interesting to see Chaplins record in those periods. Think he got a few early season, like this year, had a quiet patch mid-season, then just went berserk!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Comparisons with last season on 10:19 - Nov 9 with 1340 viewsJohnTy

Comparisons with last season on 10:08 - Nov 9 by catch74

Be interesting to see Chaplins record in those periods. Think he got a few early season, like this year, had a quiet patch mid-season, then just went berserk!

I have been trying to figure out why the middle section was so poor last season.
Partly I think it is winter pitches don't suit our style of play, but hopefully pitches in the Championship are better than League 1 and our own is certainly better than last season. Clearly the January additions were crucial. My memory is that Humphreys played a lot of games in the early part of the season and few if any after January. That was a lot of games for a young player.
I imagine that McKenna will be loking to strengthen again in January.
Comparisons with last season on 10:28 - Nov 9 with 1321 viewsCityBlue

If the "Rovrum" game was last year's Charlton game then I am content that we will go on to have a a glorious season

I T I D

Comparisons with last season on 10:33 - Nov 9 with 1293 viewscarlisleaway

Comparisons with last season on 10:19 - Nov 9 by JohnTy

I have been trying to figure out why the middle section was so poor last season.
Partly I think it is winter pitches don't suit our style of play, but hopefully pitches in the Championship are better than League 1 and our own is certainly better than last season. Clearly the January additions were crucial. My memory is that Humphreys played a lot of games in the early part of the season and few if any after January. That was a lot of games for a young player.

January window will be crucial and expect McKenna/Ashton already know who the targets will be.
Interesting to see how we stand financially especially with big shop sales and sell out crowds helping.
Comparisons with last season on 11:14 - Nov 9 with 1241 viewsblueislander

Comparisons with last season on 10:33 - Nov 9 by carlisleaway

January window will be crucial and expect McKenna/Ashton already know who the targets will be.
Interesting to see how we stand financially especially with big shop sales and sell out crowds helping.

The merchandise sales and gate money will help, but ultimately it will be a matter of whether the owners stump up more cash. Personally I don’t expect there to be much movement in or out.
Comparisons with last season on 11:16 - Nov 9 with 1240 viewsbaxterbasics

Comparisons with last season on 10:33 - Nov 9 by carlisleaway

Going to be a bigger challenge this year to improve the first team without splashing some big cash though I would think. Especially if KM is thinking about building a squad for the next season like he did when in L1.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Comparisons with last season on 11:40 - Nov 9 with 1183 viewsRonFearonsHair

I instinctively feel that we play with a far more settled line-up at the bookends of the season and rotate a lot more in the middle, which we are now starting to see creep in. I am also inclined to feel that this is partly by design and that there is an acceptance that we will drop more points during that time.
As much as we tackle each game one at a time, I believe there is a plan across the whole season in terms of managing the squad. It’s why I’m not going to wet my knickers when Leeds catch us and it’s actually quite cute to already see them getting giddy at the prospect, as I think we’re setting ourselves up to be as fresh as can be for the run-in, just as we did last season.
Login to get fewer ads

Comparisons with last season on 12:33 - Nov 9 with 1061 viewsHerbivore

I mentioned this the other day and whilst winter pitches are less ideal I think the impact is overplayed. McKenna joined Town in December and immediately got us playing good football and picking up improved results on those heavy League 1 winter pitches. Last season our dip was partly a result of midfield injuries (Evans and Ball both out, so relying on a green Humphreys) and actually just simply a fairly unusual run of sides scoring every time they put the ball near our goal whilst we were a bit wasteful. Performances only really dipped towards the end of that run away at Cambridge and Bristol Rovers but before that we were still largely playing well. Also worth remembering we've strengthened since then as well.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Comparisons with last season on 13:25 - Nov 9 with 941 viewsBigCommon

Morsy and Evans played the majority of the first 15 games... We then had a whole spate of MF injuries, throughout Autumn and Winter. TJJ, Evans, Aluko, Harness, Ball was out for the season. This not only left us short on numbers to rotate and keep things fresh, but upset our rhythm.... Indeed, Humphrey's main spell came during this period, the mid section of the season, until we got bodies back and signed Luongo in January.... Big ask for Humph', who started well, but faded..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024