Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Self-publishing on Amazon. 14:11 - Nov 20 with 1052 viewsMattinLondon

During lockdown I started working on a novel and at the start of this year I completed it - yey, go me. I’m under no illusions that it’s a great piece of literature but it seems a waste not to try and do anything with it. I’ve sent it to a few literary agents but unfortunately they didn’t like.

So now I’m thinking of self-publishing on Amazon. Just wondered if anyone has self-published on here and what’s the best route to actually selling a few electronic copies?

Thanks in advance.
Self-publishing on Amazon. on 14:19 - Nov 20 with 1002 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'm in a similar boat and thinking of doing the same. I've heard quite a few stories of rejected scripts being self published, doing well, then the agents start crawling back wanting a slice of the pie. Just lazy/cowardly on their part, and means the author has to take the risk (and the financial hit).

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Self-publishing on Amazon. on 14:20 - Nov 20 with 999 viewsADStephenson

I've self-published 3 books, all on Amazon and all for Kindle and paperback (and one hardback as I fancied a copy of it myself in hardback).
It's easy to do, but hard to do successfully (in my limited experience). I think to make any real money you need a large(ish) advertising budget (a lot more than my basically zero budget) and a lot of time to do your marketing. I have a friend who does it as a full time job and she is making over £100k a year from it - she's written nearly 40 books now and was in the fortunate position that she didn't need to work when she started, so could dedicate the time to it. You need to be good on social media and good at promoting yourself - two things I have no skill or interest in.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me - I'll help how I can and buy it as well (as I know the struggle!)

www.adstephenson.com

Self-publishing on Amazon. on 14:29 - Nov 20 with 971 viewslowhouseblue

there are also people like this: https://www.austinmacauley.com/how-become-author

I have a friend who has used them for multiple books - it seems to be a midway between the agent route and the amazon route.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Self-publishing on Amazon. on 14:29 - Nov 20 with 970 viewsgiant_stow

I've a friend whos turned this into a business, helping authors get published. I won't give you details as he charges the earth and takes a large percentage, but do remember one piece of advice he always gives the punters: make your books free to start off with, to getup the charts / encourage others to read them too. Then bump the price up a bit, but not to much.

Be warned though - he was saying the other day that the e-books market in particular is well past its peak.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Self-publishing on Amazon. on 16:28 - Nov 20 with 773 viewsBlue_In_Boston

I have published three travel journals, both in paperback and in the KDP Kindle format. Same as you, it started as a lockdown project and once done why not? Across the three books I have sold over 200 copies, it is certainly no get rich quick scheme, as others say writing is the easy part, promoting and selling a different skill set altogether, the boring part.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024