Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petr Cech 22:56 - Nov 27 with 3344 viewsSharkey

I like the story about Petr Cech making his debut in the top UK ice-hockey league, Belfast v Glasgow, 6000 crowd, and saying that ice-hockey keeper was what he always wanted to be, but his dad chose football for him because the gear was more affordable.( Hladky said the other day that he has no interest in staying in football when his playing days are over, which is another Czech keeper saying a much milder version of the same thing.) But it got me wondering , are there any Town players who spring to mind as being very open about football is just something they do because they happen to be good at it and that’s where the money is, and never even supported any club or been a fan at all ( Olof Mellberg was one I remember). You see these stories sometimes about Premier League players who trained all week and had no idea that e.g . Northampton was not in the Premier League and that it was a League Cup game.)

I guess you have to be supremely talented to think like that and just land up playing football. I’m not talking about people like Supple and perhaps even Garvan who (sadly) became disenchanted with it, but people who said they were never really interested in the first place.

( please spare us all the ‘so-and-so never looked interested’ and stick to people who actually said they weren’t .)
Petr Cech on 12:34 - Nov 28 with 597 viewsEireannach_gorm

How about Jay Tabbs rugby playing and horse racing?
Petr Cech on 12:45 - Nov 28 with 574 viewsgordon

Petr Cech on 09:48 - Nov 28 by Basuco

I agree, Shane looked a great prospect, not the biggest but a tough, brave and quick keeper, my memory was when he came on after as a sub after I think it was Dion Dublin came in very late, very hard, studs up challenge on Lewis Price, who had to go off. Dublin then quickly went is hard on a young Shane, who jumped to catch a high ball, Shane turned while in the air and met him shoulder to shoulder (typical gallic football type catch) but didn't get put off or pushed off. Great moment for a young keeper. Shame we did not get to see how far in the game he would have reached. (edit: I seem to remember Shane mentioned this in an interview, he said that as a Villa fan who liked Dublin, it was great to be "tested" by him). Another interesting lifes a pitch candidate Phil?
[Post edited 28 Nov 2023 10:05]

Yep, really felt sorry for him when Price and then Bywater were picked ahead of him despite both being bang average.
Petr Cech on 12:45 - Nov 28 with 572 viewsPhilTWTD

Petr Cech on 12:07 - Nov 28 by Sharkey

He was certainly a very decent cricketer (played for Cambridgeshire) but what do you mean by 'almost an England cricketer' '?

He was once 12th man in a test match.
Petr Cech on 13:14 - Nov 28 with 555 viewsSharkey

Petr Cech on 12:45 - Nov 28 by PhilTWTD

He was once 12th man in a test match.

Aha. How did that come about? Was he on the MCC groundstaff or something?
Petr Cech on 15:13 - Nov 28 with 511 viewsyorkshireblue

Andy Carroll has said he doesn't watch football to the extent when he signed for Liverpool he admitted he didn't know who any of the players were.

I'm sure I read an interview that was along the lines of football is only on in his house when his parents who are big fans are over, and then he watches something on his laptop with headphones on.
Petr Cech on 16:13 - Nov 28 with 481 viewscarlo88

Carry on with this VAR nonsense like last night and there won't be anyone left interested in it, players or spectators.
Petr Cech on 17:34 - Nov 28 with 454 viewsBluespeed225

Wasn’t Willis an engineer who’d built his own house in Holland and structural engineer was his plan after footy? Not that he seemed to dislike football, but he’d made a plan for afterwards outside the game.
Petr Cech on 13:07 - Nov 29 with 392 viewsPhilTWTD

Petr Cech on 13:14 - Nov 28 by Sharkey

Aha. How did that come about? Was he on the MCC groundstaff or something?

Yes, was on Lord's groundstaff. Didn't get to field, though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024