Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not the result or performance we wanted, but not sure I feel as negative as some 01:23 - Dec 30 with 936 viewsunstableblue

It seems strange leaving Portman Road having not seen a fighting, progressive and coherent Town display.

Town were a little disjointed, and with some very rare poor displays.

But if there was a game to excuse a sub-par performance and the gifting of ground to our parachute rivals, well it was this one.

As I said to my mate (I have many), just imagine if Arsenal were missing Rice, Martinelli. Jesus, Saka and Zinchenko… well they’d struggle! We had the equivalent. And add in White also out… errrr that was Clarke whose Achilles is playing up.

My one criticism of McKenna was starting Ball over Taylor. I think Luongo and Taylor set-up effectively would have been better. And Taylor must be fresh, he’s hardly played this season.

I think QPR came well supported, with good players and a manager trying to make a difference. Yes they’ve lost 3 on the bounce, but they were no mugs. And I’d take 2 or 3 of their players tomorrow.

We struggled initially. Then for a 5-10min spell in the first we found a semblance of our groove, despite our weakened side. But it wasn’t to last.

I do think in the second half we started to really get on top, and the R’s went deep, and the crowd did fire.

But on nights like this you need the incoming ‘SQUAD’ to play to their best and sadly two individuals really let the side down. I’m not one to call out players (I only merely said Broadhead was in patchy form guvnor) but tonight Ladapo and Williams had stinkers. Ladapo needs to score one of those first half chances, and Williams needs to show the ability we know he has. Ladapo’s touch at times was terrible. We are really missing Hirst.

But there were positives - Wolfenden was at another level, Humphreys started like a rabbit in the headlights, but finished really strongly. The interplay between him, Harness and Taylor in the second half was the highlight of the game.

Indeed Harness and the sub Taylor were other good performers, and Luongo grew into his captains role.

Hutchison was a little frustrating, some good stuff, but poor delivery. Not that there were many finishers in the box to complete.

I did like our youth striker, looks composed and with large QPR players bouncing off him. Start him!!

So in conclusion we missed out on 2 points, Saints are closing in, Town were below par, but not surprising with calves, Achilles, hamstrings and vomiting rife at Playford Road - but I still have every faith we’ll soon be back on track, McKennas at the wheel, and he’s got further evidence to take to America on the need to splash the dollar!
[Post edited 30 Dec 2023 2:44]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Not the result or performance we wanted, but not sure I feel as negative as some on 05:13 - Dec 30 with 787 viewsBigCommon

There are plusses from last night. Thought Humphreys did well at LWB, even though that's not his favored position. He didn't look out of his depth. So, going forwards, Humph at LWB, might be something we could/should be seeing a bit more of..
The kid Buabo, who is not fully fit, looks like an exciting project. Been mentioned that he's being nursed back from injury, So perhaps we might not see too much of him, minutes wise, until later in the season..

Looked to me like we were pacing ourselves first half, and gave it a bit of a go after an hour..
We haven't got the luxury of replacing Patson Dakka with Ineacho... We are what we are. Given that, I thought we left it all on the pitch, but lacked that bit of quality and telepathy, that we show with our best 11 out there.... 6-7 forced changes, is a lot to deal with, for a club of our stature, atm. We have to accept that..
Not the result or performance we wanted, but not sure I feel as negative as some on 06:37 - Dec 30 with 723 viewsPioneerBlue

It is no surprise our squad depth quality is not what we hoped, we did little to correct this in the summer. It is a surprise that we suddenly rely on this many changes, players are mostly natural back ups but have hardly any minutes between them. We hear a lot about keeping the back ups motivated. I’m not advocating for any of them, I wish our squad was deeper and stronger but we are where we are.

Why has Ball, Ladapo, Humphries not had more minutes along the way? I know people will say because they are not good enough, but now they have to be. It doesn’t work both ways right now.

Back them, until we have better.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

A valid point in there on 09:45 - Dec 30 with 577 viewsunstableblue

Not the result or performance we wanted, but not sure I feel as negative as some on 06:37 - Dec 30 by PioneerBlue

It is no surprise our squad depth quality is not what we hoped, we did little to correct this in the summer. It is a surprise that we suddenly rely on this many changes, players are mostly natural back ups but have hardly any minutes between them. We hear a lot about keeping the back ups motivated. I’m not advocating for any of them, I wish our squad was deeper and stronger but we are where we are.

Why has Ball, Ladapo, Humphries not had more minutes along the way? I know people will say because they are not good enough, but now they have to be. It doesn’t work both ways right now.

Back them, until we have better.

I think we did the business in the summer we could, I think some targets just couldn’t be secured. We may have the same problem this January. I think McKenna has proven he’s worth backing. FFP also a factor.

I do agree with your point about back up player game time.

I criticise Ladapo in op, but he’s had no game time, and to suddenly be relied on when so rusty.

However, Humphreys showed you can fire up and get match sharpness quickly. He struggled for the first half, but was excellent second. And showed his value to the squad, as he. An play multiple positions. More game time please. I do the same with Baggott and Edmundson.

Not the result or performance we wanted, but not sure I feel as negative as some on 09:55 - Dec 30 with 551 viewsNthQldITFC

I think that's an excellent summary, I agree with every point. Woolfenden was quietly magnificent in and out of possession, Humphreys finished the game so well once he'd got used to what he was doing, Harness continued his good form, and his touch in the six yard box for the shot that Begovic saved with his feet was an example of his skill on the ball at the moment, along with some decisive Chaplin-esque round the corner play.

Extra shout to Taylor whose confidence I've watched slowly but steadily increase since he arrived - a slow burner but he's now demanding the ball deep and carrying it beautifully - really promising. Also Clarke, playing through the pain but getting his balance of aggression and control much better now.

I don't need everything I want this very minute - COYB!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

A valid point in there on 10:02 - Dec 30 with 522 viewsJohnTy

A valid point in there on 09:45 - Dec 30 by unstableblue

I think we did the business in the summer we could, I think some targets just couldn’t be secured. We may have the same problem this January. I think McKenna has proven he’s worth backing. FFP also a factor.

I do agree with your point about back up player game time.

I criticise Ladapo in op, but he’s had no game time, and to suddenly be relied on when so rusty.

However, Humphreys showed you can fire up and get match sharpness quickly. He struggled for the first half, but was excellent second. And showed his value to the squad, as he. An play multiple positions. More game time please. I do the same with Baggott and Edmundson.

McKenna made the point I think after the Leicester game that there is relatively little time for training over the Christmas period when so many games are being played, and that this can be a problem for those who are not getting match time.
Not the result or performance we wanted, but not sure I feel as negative as some on 10:24 - Dec 30 with 457 viewsunstableblue

Not the result or performance we wanted, but not sure I feel as negative as some on 09:55 - Dec 30 by NthQldITFC

I think that's an excellent summary, I agree with every point. Woolfenden was quietly magnificent in and out of possession, Humphreys finished the game so well once he'd got used to what he was doing, Harness continued his good form, and his touch in the six yard box for the shot that Begovic saved with his feet was an example of his skill on the ball at the moment, along with some decisive Chaplin-esque round the corner play.

Extra shout to Taylor whose confidence I've watched slowly but steadily increase since he arrived - a slow burner but he's now demanding the ball deep and carrying it beautifully - really promising. Also Clarke, playing through the pain but getting his balance of aggression and control much better now.

I don't need everything I want this very minute - COYB!

Good you highlight Harness, he looks a top Championship player at times with his touch and certain passes. And I’m not sure I expected to say that.

Taylor also is one that in his early season performances I thought was some way off the level of our team and the league… but he’s beginning to look very confident and composed on the ball and we’re starting to see his range of passing - couple of longer range raking balls last night.

I do remembered the Posh chairman saying other clubs will regret not coming in for him.

What I like about Clarke is he seems to continue to improve, and his physicality stands out. Don’t really know how the Achilles is effecting him - wonder if that was linked to earlier season poor moments in games.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024