Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns 10:13 - Jan 4 with 1318 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I was thinking about the likeliness of us reaching the playoffs and cast my mind back to how bad we actually perform in those, having played in 8 and won just 1! As I was casting my mind back over the seasons I remember that Richard Naylor played in every one of the campaigns we qualified for those in the 90's and 00's.

Richard Naylor played in the following campaigns that all resulted in us being in the Playoffs: 1996/97, 1997/98. 1998/99, 1999/2000, 2003/04, 2004/05 (6) and thus is the player who has featured the most in Playoff campaigns for Ipswich. I think Mick Stockwell is the only other player who featured in nearly as many, playing in 1986/87, 1996/97, 1997/98. 1998/99 and 1999/2000 (5).
Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:17 - Jan 4 with 1272 viewsGiveusaWave

Play offs a bit of a lottery really. 25% chance at that point of going up....

Points difference between 3rd and 6th might be quite dramatic this season...but it won't make any difference when it comes to the game.

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:19 - Jan 4 with 1245 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:17 - Jan 4 by GiveusaWave

Play offs a bit of a lottery really. 25% chance at that point of going up....

Points difference between 3rd and 6th might be quite dramatic this season...but it won't make any difference when it comes to the game.

That year we lost to West Ham and a 40 year old Sheringham was probably the worst example of that, but we had a shoestring and they had money so it was impressive we finished that much further ahead.

I think we'll finish in the Playoffs this season although I am dreading it.
Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:29 - Jan 4 with 1181 viewstcblue

Maybe he's available on a free?
Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:31 - Jan 4 with 1179 views_clive_baker_

1998/99 was the biggest joke. Looked good for 2nd, finished the season terribly to miss out on automatics by a point, then turned over in the playoffs on away goals by Bolton who finished miles behind us. We were robbed. Worth it for what followed though I guess.

Similar in 04/05 against West Ham, although to be fair to them they schooled us in the 2nd leg.
Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:37 - Jan 4 with 1134 viewsParisBlue

Stockwell didn't actually play in the 99/00 playoffs. His last game for Town was as a sub vs Stockport in April and he left in the summer.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:41 - Jan 4 with 1109 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:37 - Jan 4 by ParisBlue

Stockwell didn't actually play in the 99/00 playoffs. His last game for Town was as a sub vs Stockport in April and he left in the summer.

I stated campaigns, not the semis/final itself.
Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:45 - Jan 4 with 1080 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:31 - Jan 4 by _clive_baker_

1998/99 was the biggest joke. Looked good for 2nd, finished the season terribly to miss out on automatics by a point, then turned over in the playoffs on away goals by Bolton who finished miles behind us. We were robbed. Worth it for what followed though I guess.

Similar in 04/05 against West Ham, although to be fair to them they schooled us in the 2nd leg.

The only Playoff game we actually deserved to win against West Ham was the first one in 03/04, every other game we were awful in, with 04/05 at home being the worst performance of the lot, we did not show up I guess having Davis, Miller, Kuqi all on free transfers after the season ends and Bent was already being courted by Premiership clubs the incentive to win wasn't exactly the same as the West Ham players were.
Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 11:10 - Jan 4 with 973 views_clive_baker_

Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:45 - Jan 4 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

The only Playoff game we actually deserved to win against West Ham was the first one in 03/04, every other game we were awful in, with 04/05 at home being the worst performance of the lot, we did not show up I guess having Davis, Miller, Kuqi all on free transfers after the season ends and Bent was already being courted by Premiership clubs the incentive to win wasn't exactly the same as the West Ham players were.

Yeah they had a bit of quality to be fair. Just looked at the line ups, they had Etherington, Zamora, Repka, Dailly, Mullins, Reo-Coker etc who were all pretty tidy players in or around the prime years of their careers. Zamora's 2nd goal was quality and we didn't ever seem to get going in that game.

Beaten by the better team after a 1st leg draw, bit like Norwich under MM. Although there wasn't the disconnect in league position on that one having finished 6th ourselves then.

1998 / 99 and 1999 / 00 were the ones where you could argue we were the best team in the playoffs. 2000 showed, 1999 didn't. They're a bit of a lottery innit.
Login to get fewer ads

Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 11:57 - Jan 4 with 888 viewsstonojnr

Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:31 - Jan 4 by _clive_baker_

had that 98/99 season happened today though, what happened next wouldnt have happened.
Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 13:03 - Jan 4 with 741 viewsDarkBrandon

Interesting how long Naylor was around for. I’d kind of forgotten that.

One win from eight, is unfortunate but not terrible with a small sample set
Only one final from eight really is pretty atrocious though. Although would we prefer a semi-final defeat to Wembley heartbreak? I dunno
[Post edited 4 Jan 13:04]
Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 15:27 - Jan 4 with 543 viewsBluespeed225

Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 10:19 - Jan 4 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

That year we lost to West Ham and a 40 year old Sheringham was probably the worst example of that, but we had a shoestring and they had money so it was impressive we finished that much further ahead.

I think we'll finish in the Playoffs this season although I am dreading it.

I’d actually be quietly confident if we make the playoffs. We’re a season ahead in our progress, and having seen all the team, over 2 legs I don’t think we’d be scared. Leeds, they’ll be more frantic if Southampton have taken 2nd, then it’s anyone from about 8!
Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 15:44 - Jan 4 with 522 viewsAce_High1

Richard Naylor - Play Off Campaigns on 15:27 - Jan 4 by Bluespeed225

I’d actually be quietly confident if we make the playoffs. We’re a season ahead in our progress, and having seen all the team, over 2 legs I don’t think we’d be scared. Leeds, they’ll be more frantic if Southampton have taken 2nd, then it’s anyone from about 8!

Only team we can't beat is Leeds as assuming we end up I playoffs it will be because Southampton come Second.

Leeds have ripped us apart twice, 8 goals conceded in two games. The pace and power of the forward players and wide players are too much for us as demonstrated in the two league games.

No other team has made us look so open and any other team we will beat over two legs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024