Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The psychology of denial 14:18 - Jan 19 with 852 viewsNthQldITFC

When my dad and brother died, I denied my grief the way we deny the climate crisis. But it didn’t go away.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/jan/20/when-my-dad-and-brother-di

As someone who struggles to understand why the majority of the human race seem to be burying their heads in the sand when it comes to climate change, I found this article really interesting.

-----------

'The facts of climate change are not denied, nor are they interpreted to be something else,” they write. “What is denied or minimised are the psychological, political, and moral implications of the facts for us. We fail to accept responsibility for responding; we fail to act when the information says we should.

This seems to me the ultimate climate catch-22. We avoid talking about climate change socially because we don’t want to upset others, but unless we all confront the climate reality, things will only worsen – which will be far more upsetting in the long run.

Neither pursued in time the further tests recommended by doctors. For two smart men, it sounds so foolish in hindsight. But the spectre of an existential threat evidently proved too difficult to contemplate; easier to focus on their many short-term responsibilities amid busy lives.

Their deaths have opened my eyes to the true scale of the challenge in combating climate change. Facts are irrelevant if you can’t get folks to look above the horizon and consider the unfathomable.

Climate change is going to change the way we live one way or another. Are we really doing ourselves – or our kids – any favours by continuing to pretend otherwise?

--------------

Apologies if that's uncomfortable reading for anybody.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The psychology of denial on 14:48 - Jan 19 with 718 viewsJ2BLUE

It needs to be done at world level and it won't be. At least until things get very bad.

I think most people assume some new technology will come along and solve all our problems. Or maybe they just tell themselves that to feel better. Who knows? Lots of people talk a good game and then tell you about the steak they had on holiday in America.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The psychology of denial on 16:26 - Jan 19 with 611 viewsHelp

Nothing will ever change because all governments are controlled by the commercial business that get them into power in the first place. Greed and gain over the needs of the planet and its people.

Why change when you can always blame those that are not changing and use that as an example not to bother yourself. Why should I switch off a light when Las Vegas burns more energy in a minute than I spend in a year.

Why educate the children when it is easier to continue to suppress the poor and uneducated so you can continue to live the life of excess you have gained.

Why share £200m lottery win between 200 people when one person can have their life transformed. Would it work to suddenly have 200 (yup i added in an m by mistake earlier) millionaires overnight. Who would work if no one had to.

The status quo works fine for those that want it.

Continue to supress and the world keeps turning.
[Post edited 19 Jan 19:22]
The psychology of denial on 16:29 - Jan 19 with 590 views_clive_baker_

The psychology of denial on 16:26 - Jan 19 by Help

Nothing will ever change because all governments are controlled by the commercial business that get them into power in the first place. Greed and gain over the needs of the planet and its people.

Why change when you can always blame those that are not changing and use that as an example not to bother yourself. Why should I switch off a light when Las Vegas burns more energy in a minute than I spend in a year.

Why educate the children when it is easier to continue to suppress the poor and uneducated so you can continue to live the life of excess you have gained.

Why share £200m lottery win between 200 people when one person can have their life transformed. Would it work to suddenly have 200 (yup i added in an m by mistake earlier) millionaires overnight. Who would work if no one had to.

The status quo works fine for those that want it.

Continue to supress and the world keeps turning.
[Post edited 19 Jan 19:22]

Not sure a £1 lottery win would allow many people to give up work tbh. Think i'd just spend it on a toffee crisp.
The psychology of denial on 16:39 - Jan 19 with 545 viewsgtsb1966

"Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money".
Cree Indian Prophecy
The psychology of denial on 16:40 - Jan 19 with 543 viewsGeomorph

it's good that you keep up the messaging :) I work in a related sector (landscape restoration/flood management etc), and I can confirm that most of the people I have to work with are happy to ignore all the evidence
The psychology of denial on 16:41 - Jan 19 with 532 viewsblueasfook

The psychology of denial on 16:40 - Jan 19 by Geomorph

it's good that you keep up the messaging :) I work in a related sector (landscape restoration/flood management etc), and I can confirm that most of the people I have to work with are happy to ignore all the evidence

Maybe it's just you they are ignoring?

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

The psychology of denial on 16:43 - Jan 19 with 505 viewsGeomorph

The psychology of denial on 16:41 - Jan 19 by blueasfook

Maybe it's just you they are ignoring?

thanks thickasf...
The psychology of denial on 16:51 - Jan 19 with 463 viewsdocklandsblue

The psychology of denial on 16:29 - Jan 19 by _clive_baker_

Not sure a £1 lottery win would allow many people to give up work tbh. Think i'd just spend it on a toffee crisp.

What a waste, if you cut down on the one toffee crisp you'd be able to afford the deposit on a nice semi...
Login to get fewer ads

The psychology of denial on 16:55 - Jan 19 with 453 viewsgtsb1966

My grandson lives with me. I'm looking at this page and looking at him now watching the tele. Here he is, 6 years old without a care in the world yet in a few years time he'll learn how the human race is destroying the planet he lives blissfully in. He doesn't understand that many of the animals he watches on tv are close to extinction or that the last few days being cold going to school is the least of his weather worries. I'll be long gone when the impact really hits but it breaks my heart to know that when he gets to my age his life will be totally different to mine and not in a better way.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024