Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wayne Kramer RIP 23:57 - Feb 6 with 801 viewsWhos_blue

I missed this last week.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/wayne-kramer-mc5-dead-1234960020/

Possibly their most famous track.
This performance really does kick it out!

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Wayne Kramer RIP on 00:07 - Feb 7 with 760 viewsGunnsAirkick

A brilliant musician, RIP.

I was lucky enough to see an incarnation of MC5 (with Kramer on guitar and Mark Arm of Mudhoney singing), what a great gig.
Wayne Kramer RIP on 07:56 - Feb 7 with 602 viewsLevelTheLand

Wayne Kramer RIP on 00:07 - Feb 7 by GunnsAirkick

I was lucky enough to see an incarnation of MC5 (with Kramer on guitar and Mark Arm of Mudhoney singing), what a great gig.

Likewise, saw MC50 in 2019 which was Wayne, Billy Gould (Faith No More), Kim Thayil (Soundgarden) and Brendan Canty (Fugazi). Was an excellent gig.

RIP
Wayne Kramer RIP on 08:08 - Feb 7 with 574 viewsDJR

Wayne Kramer RIP on 00:07 - Feb 7 by GunnsAirkick

The Clash song Jail Guitar Doors references Wayne. The following from a website explains the song.

"Jail Guitar Doors" started life as a song written by singer Joe Strummer for his previous band, the 101ers, either as presently titled or given the different title "Lonely Mother's Son" - reports vary. Strummer brought the song with him to The Clash, but wasn't comfortable with playing it in his new band as he wanted a totally clean cut from the past. It was only in late 1977 that guitarist Mick Jones revisited the song and rewrote the lyrics, eventually having the band re-record it at CBS Studios in September of that year.

The three verses tell the story of three guitarists who get in trouble for drug possession, which ties together with the sadness and regret of the chorus; seeing people you look up to throw their lives away in such fashion ("Clang clang, go the jail guitar doors, bang bang, go the boots on the floor").

The first verse mentions a character called Wayne ("Let me tell you 'bout Wayne and his deals of cocaine, a little more every day"), which is a reference to the MC5's Wayne Kramer. After the demise of his band The MC5, Kramer sold drugs on the streets of Detroit. In 1975, he was arrested when he tried to sell cocaine to undercover agents.

The second verse discusses the fate of a Peter ("An' I'll tell you 'bout Pete, didn't want no fame, gave all his money away"), which is more than likely Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green, who became mentally unstable after taking LSD, ended up in mental hospitals, and gave away his money and guitars.

The final verse is about a Keith ("And then there's Keith, waiting for trial, twenty-five thousand bail") which is very clearly The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards, who in February 1977 was arrested for heroin possession in Toronto.

All three men were guitar heroes of Mick Jones growing up, so it would make sense that the "what a shame" feel of the lyrics would relate to Jones' own feelings upon seeing his childhood heroes locked up. After his own drug bust in July 1978, Jones would add a fourth verse into live performances discussing his hope that he doesn't end up meeting the same fate as his heroes.

Jail Guitar Doors is an independent initiative set up by Billy Bragg with the aim of providing musical equipment for the use of inmates serving time in prisons and funding individual projects such as recording sessions in UK prisons and for former inmates throughout the United Kingdom. It takes its name from the B-side of the Clash's 1978 single "Clash City Rockers". Jail Guitar Doors, USA is an independent initiative set up by Wayne Kramer, Billy Bragg and Margaret Saadi Kramer in the United States in 2009. Jail Guitar Doors aims to provide musical instruments to inmates across the United States, assists in coordinating volunteer teaching programs, and organizes prison outreach programs. JGD advances new solutions to diminish prison violence and works toward policy reform. Wayne Kramer and Jail Guitar Doors USA volunteers visited their 100th prison on Friday, Sept. 8, 2017.

And here's a version of the song featuring Billy Bragg and Wayne.

[Post edited 7 Feb 10:31]
Wayne Kramer RIP on 08:53 - Feb 7 with 530 viewsGeoffSentence

Another great one

and as covered by The Damned

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Wayne Kramer RIP on 09:09 - Feb 7 with 507 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Quite a tumultuous story...

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Wayne Kramer RIP on 09:21 - Feb 7 with 488 viewsBlueBadger

He has kicked out his final jam. RIP.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024