Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
North stand and block A 21:36 - Mar 7 with 1919 viewsTommy_ITFC

Anyone else think they're out of sync?
North stand and block A on 21:49 - Mar 7 with 1867 viewslmfcblue

Yeah massively. I’m in Block A and when the north stand start singing block A young lads seem to ignore it and just start singing something else.
Seems more like a power battle rather than pulling together!
North stand and block A on 21:57 - Mar 7 with 1818 viewsgainsboroughblue

North stand and block A on 21:49 - Mar 7 by lmfcblue

Yeah massively. I’m in Block A and when the north stand start singing block A young lads seem to ignore it and just start singing something else.

Some songs are harder to sync than others, that's why 'Ipswich' to amazing grace needs to be used more in those periods when the team really need us as it's easy to join in with and nobody's going to be coming in at a wrong part.

Two singing areas are good if they make enough noise in isolation. Years ago before all-seater, the main noise would come from the North Stand and the J Block end of the West. They never sang in unison.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

North stand and block A on 21:57 - Mar 7 with 1810 viewsAviator

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound
North stand and block A on 21:59 - Mar 7 with 1790 viewsnoubledooble

Tuesday was impossible to join in. I’m in NS block 5 and there was 3 songs going at the same time. At one point there was the same song going but at different times and everyone around me joked about how the heck can we join in, which song shall we sing. It’s definitely the acoustic as has been said 100 times.
North stand and block A on 23:39 - Mar 7 with 1536 viewsBasingstokeBlue

I'm in Cobbold Block A. Some geezer up the back decides which songs we sing; and each goes on too long, but doesnt switch to a new song soon enough (the away supporters get this right) Even the drummer sounds like he knows when a song has outstayed its welcome.

when Section 4 in the SBRL start a new song/chant we immediately shut up, listen to find out what it is and then join in.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

North stand and block A on 10:28 - Mar 8 with 1143 viewsSlambo

This just isn't true. On the vanishingly rare occasions you hear anything come out of the NL we join in - When The Saints Go Marching In, for example. Super Samy Morsy emanated from there as well I think and we all joined in with that...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

North stand and block A on 10:56 - Mar 8 with 1110 viewsSamWhiteUK

There is this weird power play between SBRL and Block A, especially on Twitter. It normally descends into the SBRL superfans claiming that they "can't hear" Block A, which is absolute bullocks, and the whole thing gets pretty pathetic from both sides.

SBRL is where the singing should be, I don't understand the move to Block A and I'm not sure it's accomplished what it set out to. I get that it wanted to make noise from more areas of the ground, but I don't think it was drastic enough a move.
North stand and block A on 11:05 - Mar 8 with 1084 viewsTVRBlue

North stand and block A on 10:28 - Mar 8 by Slambo

This just isn't true. On the vanishingly rare occasions you hear anything come out of the NL we join in - When The Saints Go Marching In, for example. Super Samy Morsy emanated from there as well I think and we all joined in with that...

"On the vanishingly rare occasions you hear anything come out of the NL"

Wow.
Login to get fewer ads

North stand and block A on 11:07 - Mar 8 with 1076 viewsSlambo

North stand and block A on 23:39 - Mar 7 by BasingstokeBlue

I'm in Cobbold Block A. Some geezer up the back decides which songs we sing; and each goes on too long, but doesnt switch to a new song soon enough (the away supporters get this right) Even the drummer sounds like he knows when a song has outstayed its welcome.

when Section 4 in the SBRL start a new song/chant we immediately shut up, listen to find out what it is and then join in.

The geezer at the back is probably me. You have to persevere with songs otherwise you just whip through your entire repertoire - several times over - within half an hour. Then people get bored and that's when Whaddya Think Of Norwich?! starts up - and no-one wants that. I agree that there should be a cut off, but it's about getting the timing right. It will ALWAYS be better for a chant to go on too long than not long enough, so will always err on the side of that. One thing we're pushing for is a megaphone, which would make it easier to instigate a chant and change things up, but the club have concocted some pathetic health & safety b0ll0cks to knock it back. It won't stick though...

You may also be referring to the time around the half hour mark when we were gamely trying to push through a new chant - Whenever We Win. A rousing, uplifting chant that you hear a lot on the continent and I think also at Rangers. With any new chant, the oldest method is the best - just go with it persistently, people join in a bit more each time until it catches. We actually had the lyrics on the flyers we laid out at the Birmingham game, but they usually get turned into paper aeroplanes and hussed about the place...

I'm glad you've acknowledged that we join in with anything that comes out of the NL. There's this myth that the North is filled with boisterous singers constantly trying to get it going but are thwarted at every attempt by those anti-social oiks in Block A who just sing over them all the time. It's just not true. 90% of the atmosphere is generated by us. To bring this back to the OP it does then mean things are out of sync, but what can you do..? Sound is never going to carry evenly through a stadium, particularly if the main source of that sound is in one specific area. The obvious solution was to create a singing section at the back of section 5, but that was never going to fly and besides, would just lead to people complaining in the Cobbold/Magnus that everything was out of sync. All you can do is create an area where people who WANT to sing can congregate, which Block A does very well indeed, and i'm assuming you agree otherwise you wouldn't be in it. If the rest of the ground wants to join in, even better...

UPPA TOWEN!

North stand and block A on 11:11 - Mar 8 with 1052 viewsParsley

Have you tried turning it off and on again? should fix it
North stand and block A on 12:00 - Mar 8 with 944 viewsBuhrer

At times 2/3 songs/timings and baffling impossible to join from west P, though it did make a nice wall of sound dub mashup. "Allez, allez,allez, for we fight on boxing day, and we cheer the boys in blue"..... There was a point early on where it sounded like block A got the ground going with Blue and White Army, only for the North to stop it starting up Boxing day song which didnt spread (and wont) in the same way. There was loads of positives to build on from Tuesday, just need a little more cooperation maybe.
North stand and block A on 12:06 - Mar 8 with 931 viewsSlambo

North stand and block A on 10:56 - Mar 8 by SamWhiteUK

There is this weird power play between SBRL and Block A, especially on Twitter. It normally descends into the SBRL superfans claiming that they "can't hear" Block A, which is absolute bullocks, and the whole thing gets pretty pathetic from both sides.

SBRL is where the singing should be, I don't understand the move to Block A and I'm not sure it's accomplished what it set out to. I get that it wanted to make noise from more areas of the ground, but I don't think it was drastic enough a move.

I will just say it was all started by the 'superfans' you describe. Who knows the psychology behind it: perhaps jealous that attention is being taken away from them? Or the presence of this loud and boisterous singing section rubs their noses in how sterile the North Stand has become? We were always good at holding our tongues, but a couple of new lads came in and just couldn't help themselves, leading to some unedifying back-and-forths...

Trust me, we'd rather be in the North Stand, specifically in the middle of section 5. And if you remember the results from that survey we sent out, the overwhelming majority of fans wanted the same. The club wanted it as well! But were Graham, Linda and Reg, who'd been in the various iterations of the North Stand for 50 years, going to make way? Of course not, and it was a battle the club weren't willing to have. So the North Stand had a chance of a rebirth of sorts but, sadly, didn't take it up...

In terms of not accomplishing our goals, our goal was always to establish a section of the ground where it was explicitly stated that the expectation would be for fans to sing. This SHOULD have been expected in the NL, but for various reasons - chief among them the transition to all-seater this expectation had disappeared. 'Uniting' the rest of the ground was always aspirational. The fact is, if folk don't want to sing, there's nothing you can do to make them. So all you can do is create a space where, if you start up a song it won't just die on your lips, or peter out after 6 seconds and in view of that, Block A's been a resounding success. There're about 100 STs in there, so my advice to anyone who's frustrated with the NL to come over and join the party...

UPPA TOWEN!

North stand and block A on 13:56 - Mar 8 with 750 viewsrunaround

My daughter and I stand in the bottom corner of section 5 right next to the stairwell to section 6 and it’s noticeable that even when section five and A block are singing the same song it’s sung quicker by 5 then A which alongside the acoustics issues leads to being out of sync. We prefer to sing but it’s not something that people nearby us tend to do. We miss blue action being in section six and enjoyed many of the new songs they came up especially the Mungo Jerry Burns one, Dirty Old Town and the Morsy Oasis one where many of the older North Stand favourites still sung today feel a little stale on occasions and it’s good to have other chants to increase our repertoire. I have long thought Edward Ebeneezer should be played by club when players come out.
I think Blue Action and the related atmosphere can only be a good thing and have made a massive positive impact so please don’t give up and keep on going. Hopefully eventually everything will be more in sync as after all we’re all Ipswich aren’t we!
North stand and block A on 14:01 - Mar 8 with 741 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

North stand and block A on 12:06 - Mar 8 by Slambo

I will just say it was all started by the 'superfans' you describe. Who knows the psychology behind it: perhaps jealous that attention is being taken away from them? Or the presence of this loud and boisterous singing section rubs their noses in how sterile the North Stand has become? We were always good at holding our tongues, but a couple of new lads came in and just couldn't help themselves, leading to some unedifying back-and-forths...

Trust me, we'd rather be in the North Stand, specifically in the middle of section 5. And if you remember the results from that survey we sent out, the overwhelming majority of fans wanted the same. The club wanted it as well! But were Graham, Linda and Reg, who'd been in the various iterations of the North Stand for 50 years, going to make way? Of course not, and it was a battle the club weren't willing to have. So the North Stand had a chance of a rebirth of sorts but, sadly, didn't take it up...

In terms of not accomplishing our goals, our goal was always to establish a section of the ground where it was explicitly stated that the expectation would be for fans to sing. This SHOULD have been expected in the NL, but for various reasons - chief among them the transition to all-seater this expectation had disappeared. 'Uniting' the rest of the ground was always aspirational. The fact is, if folk don't want to sing, there's nothing you can do to make them. So all you can do is create a space where, if you start up a song it won't just die on your lips, or peter out after 6 seconds and in view of that, Block A's been a resounding success. There're about 100 STs in there, so my advice to anyone who's frustrated with the NL to come over and join the party...

Sitting in the disabled section in front of the old section 6 the timing issues is so apparent!
We’re got super kieron McKenna! Kenna!
North stand and block A on 14:18 - Mar 8 with 708 viewslazyblue

North stand and block A on 21:57 - Mar 7 by gainsboroughblue

Some songs are harder to sync than others, that's why 'Ipswich' to amazing grace needs to be used more in those periods when the team really need us as it's easy to join in with and nobody's going to be coming in at a wrong part.

Two singing areas are good if they make enough noise in isolation. Years ago before all-seater, the main noise would come from the North Stand and the J Block end of the West. They never sang in unison.

Keep saying this but the young ones don’t seem to like this song.
North stand and block A on 14:36 - Mar 8 with 663 viewsVegtablue

North stand and block A on 11:07 - Mar 8 by Slambo

The geezer at the back is probably me. You have to persevere with songs otherwise you just whip through your entire repertoire - several times over - within half an hour. Then people get bored and that's when Whaddya Think Of Norwich?! starts up - and no-one wants that. I agree that there should be a cut off, but it's about getting the timing right. It will ALWAYS be better for a chant to go on too long than not long enough, so will always err on the side of that. One thing we're pushing for is a megaphone, which would make it easier to instigate a chant and change things up, but the club have concocted some pathetic health & safety b0ll0cks to knock it back. It won't stick though...

You may also be referring to the time around the half hour mark when we were gamely trying to push through a new chant - Whenever We Win. A rousing, uplifting chant that you hear a lot on the continent and I think also at Rangers. With any new chant, the oldest method is the best - just go with it persistently, people join in a bit more each time until it catches. We actually had the lyrics on the flyers we laid out at the Birmingham game, but they usually get turned into paper aeroplanes and hussed about the place...

I'm glad you've acknowledged that we join in with anything that comes out of the NL. There's this myth that the North is filled with boisterous singers constantly trying to get it going but are thwarted at every attempt by those anti-social oiks in Block A who just sing over them all the time. It's just not true. 90% of the atmosphere is generated by us. To bring this back to the OP it does then mean things are out of sync, but what can you do..? Sound is never going to carry evenly through a stadium, particularly if the main source of that sound is in one specific area. The obvious solution was to create a singing section at the back of section 5, but that was never going to fly and besides, would just lead to people complaining in the Cobbold/Magnus that everything was out of sync. All you can do is create an area where people who WANT to sing can congregate, which Block A does very well indeed, and i'm assuming you agree otherwise you wouldn't be in it. If the rest of the ground wants to join in, even better...

You're doing a great job Slambo and spot on about the NL, it's a 50/50 or 30/70 mix of singers and silent types in here, don't see it being reclaimed as "singers only" anytime soon. Sync issues are frustrating but we aren't redesigning the stadium anytime soon are we.

Ultimately, I'm happier with the greater spread of noise even if a consequence is the North has been reduced. Shame you're hidden from away fans but that's a trade-off worth accepting. And ideally you would be in the back centre of 5 but it's a non-starter, so this is the best compromise probably.

Above said, North remains vital for atmosphere and shouldn't forget their importance or feel one-upped. Propel us forward together, even if at different times and speeds!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024