Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film 10:19 - Mar 27 with 1729 viewsSteve_M

This is really interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/xkbwldvmb5/exposed-the-secret-army

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 10:42 - Mar 27 with 1667 viewsCoastalblue

That's amazing, and seems incredulous that all of the footage was sent across to London for developing.

You can only guess what posessed the IRA to agree to it, it seems a crazy risk compared to the potential reward.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 10:51 - Mar 27 with 1655 viewsGuthrum

The writer seems amazed that they should have taken such a security risk as to make this film. But that is to forget these people were not trained, hardened operatives.

They were very young - in their teens and early twenties - driven by an idealism and a desire to get their (as they saw it) righteous message out to sympathisers in the USA. To an extent, still naive, even. The Provisional IRA, as an independent organisation, was less than three years old.

The indestructibility of youth and the self-belief of revolutionaries. Hardly surprising they were compromised, if not on some level actually lured into exposing themselves.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 13:19 - Mar 27 with 1479 viewsRadlett_blue

If anyone is interested in the history of "The Troubles", then this book is a cracking read.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Killing-Thatcher-Manhunt-Long-Crown/dp/0008476659

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 13:25 - Mar 27 with 1458 viewsleitrimblue

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 13:19 - Mar 27 by Radlett_blue

If anyone is interested in the history of "The Troubles", then this book is a cracking read.

That is a good read. Read it around the pool on holiday last year. Makes sense that Magee was a Norfolk man..
Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 21:47 - Mar 27 with 1225 viewsLord_Lucan

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 13:19 - Mar 27 by Radlett_blue

Thanks.

Just bought the audiobook on your recommendation.

Just finished Eddie Pillers book tonight and about to start Be My Baby by Ronnie Spector but I might go for an Easter IRA weekend instead.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 06:41 - Mar 28 with 1066 viewsnoggin

Spotlight on the Troubles is a good watch. I think all episodes are on YouTube.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 11:10 - Mar 28 with 960 viewsleitrimblue

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 06:41 - Mar 28 by noggin

Spotlight on the Troubles is a good watch. I think all episodes are on YouTube.

If you want a good read on the earlier background you could try Tim Pat Coogans The Famine plot: England's role in Irelands greatest tragedy.

May be extra interesting at moment with the man made famine currently being constructed in Gaza
Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 12:13 - Mar 28 with 895 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 21:47 - Mar 27 by Lord_Lucan

Thanks.

Just finished Eddie Pillers book tonight and about to start Be My Baby by Ronnie Spector but I might go for an Easter IRA weekend instead.

Another good read is 'The Provos' by Peter Taylor.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 12:21 - Mar 28 with 883 viewsRadlett_blue

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 21:47 - Mar 27 by Lord_Lucan

Thanks.

Let me know if "Be My Baby" is any good, please. Only £4:99 on Kindle so less than a pint in Radlett so I might take a punt.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 18:52 - Mar 28 with 745 viewsLord_Lucan

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 12:21 - Mar 28 by Radlett_blue

Let me know if "Be My Baby" is any good, please. Only £4:99 on Kindle so less than a pint in Radlett so I might take a punt.

I will probably forget and it will take me ages to get through it. Remind me in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile. This seems to be what the OP is all about.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 22:34 - Mar 28 with 647 viewsLord_Lucan

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 18:52 - Mar 28 by Lord_Lucan

I will probably forget and it will take me ages to get through it. Remind me in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile. This seems to be what the OP is all about.

Soon after this post it's been taken down!

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 07:05 - Mar 29 with 544 viewsazuremerlangus

Thanks.

If you like music biopics then this worth a read too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Just-Wasnt-Made-These-Times/dp/1903318572

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 07:27 - Mar 29 with 516 viewsDJR

Fascinating BBC investigation of an IRA propaganda film on 22:34 - Mar 28 by Lord_Lucan

Soon after this post it's been taken down!

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)

Here is a link to the BBC programme about the IRA propaganda film.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001xrx9/the-secret-army

I don't suppose the BBC would broadcast the film itself (no doubt the security services wouldn't want that), but the programme does appear to have extracts from it.
[Post edited 29 Mar 7:34]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024