Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welcome to Wrexham - Phil Parkinson 09:40 - May 15 with 906 viewsHeathlander

Watching the new series I was struck at how old school Phil Parkinson and his bulldog assistant seem compared to our set up.

It's all 'get stuck in', 'leave nothing out there' type stuff rather then clever passages of play that KMcK and his team play. Maybe they are successful because they can buy players too good for the division they are in. Maybe I am being unfair to Parky.

It's a good series though. Also stumbled across a series on Grimsby Town on Amazon Prime. Paul Hurst, Chris Doig, Gary Croft and Giles Coke all feature. That's a decent watch,
Welcome to Wrexham - Phil Parkinson on 12:59 - May 15 with 671 viewsjontysnut

My son was managed by Parky a few years ago. He's now working in healthcare and a colleague was moaning about being shouted at by a bossy NHS consultant. He replied that once you'd been given the hairdryer treatment by Phil Parkinson in front of the entire squad it was all water off a ducks back.
Welcome to Wrexham - Phil Parkinson on 14:18 - May 15 with 538 viewsSwansea_Blue

Very old school. But I can equally imagine Cookie going at them in the dressing room. Nowadays, the last think I'd want is another shouty manager. The modern breed tend to be calmer and really students of their craft, always looking to learn and keep abreast of the latest methods. Having said that, both Klopp and Pep are pretty shouty types too, and I wouldn't say no to either of them coming here if they fancied learning from kieran for a year or three!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Welcome to Wrexham - Phil Parkinson on 14:44 - May 15 with 474 viewsNutkins_Return

Phil is old school but he's also tactically astute (certainly not same style as McKenna). He's also a people person despite the shouting.

In professional sport there is always a place for a bit of shouting and motivation in that way. It certainly can't be the only or primary tool in the toolbox though!
Welcome to Wrexham - Phil Parkinson on 17:07 - May 15 with 286 viewsGenericIpswichMan

Having watched the show I've always been curious how much his team talk rants with excessive usage of the f word actually benefit the players? It doesn't exactly seem motivating or carry with it much in terms of gaining any tactical advantage.

Not once have I seen him go up to a single player with any specific guidance (eg delay your run by half a second, watch for the crossfield ball)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024