Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Premier League media circus is genuinely awful ... 13:41 - May 23 with 700 viewsBellevue_Blue

What happened to reporting news with at least some factual foundation?! I know it's all click-driven nonsense but in the last 36 hours we've had 'reputable' national news establishments write the following ...

- Brighton pushing for deal
- Brighton going to approach within 24 hours
- Chelsea's preferred candidate
- Chelsea his preferred destination
- Been offered a new contract
- Going to reject new contract
- Chelsea to approach
- Brighton now his preferred destination

It's a very sad indictment of modern journalism and we haven't yet experienced the cesspit of nonsense speculation that will inevitably hit social media when Man United enter the fray ...

[Post edited 23 May 13:41]
This Premier League media circus is genuinely awful ... on 13:42 - May 23 with 670 viewsKeno

"factual foundation"

is that was a certain poster applies before going out?

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

This Premier League media circus is genuinely awful ... on 13:46 - May 23 with 609 viewsMattinLondon

Journalists have always written unsubstantiated nonsense. In the past it was limited to the traditional printed press. Now, such nonsense can be updated every hour online. In comparison to twenty years ago, journalists don’t have to wait as longer have to update their drivel.
This Premier League media circus is genuinely awful ... on 13:49 - May 23 with 569 viewsStokieBlue

It's self-perpetuating though.

Virtually every article published on McKenna has been linked here in the last few days, if people didn't read and link them then they likely wouldn't publish so many rehashes and nonsense.

We can't really complain about it if we are willing to be part of it which judging from the forum over the last few days we seem to be.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

This Premier League media circus is genuinely awful ... on 13:51 - May 23 with 546 viewsmarchy

I look forward to the standard "IPSWICH ACE SENSATIONALLY WALKS OUT ON CLUB" clickbait every time some Liam Gibbs-esque no-mark departs.
This Premier League media circus is genuinely awful ... on 13:54 - May 23 with 517 viewsBellevue_Blue

This Premier League media circus is genuinely awful ... on 13:49 - May 23 by StokieBlue

It's self-perpetuating though.

Virtually every article published on McKenna has been linked here in the last few days, if people didn't read and link them then they likely wouldn't publish so many rehashes and nonsense.

We can't really complain about it if we are willing to be part of it which judging from the forum over the last few days we seem to be.

SB

I agree and of course, people in this forum are going to speculate based on our interests.

My point was more that in the last 36 hours we have seen articles saying completely contrasting things which tells you most if not all of this speculation is entirely made up.

That's the gripe, I wouldn't mind if the general theme of the discourse was somewhat consistent.
This Premier League media circus is genuinely awful ... on 14:02 - May 23 with 459 viewsmarchy

This Premier League media circus is genuinely awful ... on 13:54 - May 23 by Bellevue_Blue

I agree and of course, people in this forum are going to speculate based on our interests.

My point was more that in the last 36 hours we have seen articles saying completely contrasting things which tells you most if not all of this speculation is entirely made up.

That's the gripe, I wouldn't mind if the general theme of the discourse was somewhat consistent.

Absolutely. Now that limited column inches aren't an issue it's worse than it ever was, sadly, and use of the phrase "we understand that..." serves as a licence to deliberately misunderstand any existing source or statement in pursuit of whatever's going to stir up the most clicks and "follows". Grim.
This Premier League media circus is genuinely awful ... on 14:23 - May 23 with 385 viewsLankHenners

This Premier League media circus is genuinely awful ... on 13:54 - May 23 by Bellevue_Blue

I don't think it suggests it's made up, I know there's a fair amount of gossipy stuff when it comes to football news but think it's a bit disrespectful to the job of football journalists to say they put baseless things out there or just wildly speculate.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024