Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Rommy Report 23:54 - Aug 15 with 3595 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Something magical is happening folks. I can feel it.

Left mine at about 5 ish, a quick oyster top up and a McDonald's to take for the train and i was good to go. Train to Stratford, jubilee to London Bridge, quick look down outside for the Town fans and then off to South Bermondsey.

Suddenly, I felt ill. No idea why but as I got to Millwall, I felt like I was gonna collapse. Very bizarre. But I soldiered on up to the away end. We had sold 1600 before hand but sold out the top tier by kick off. So I'd say about 1900-2000 blues.

Game started.. bollox. Losing inside a minute. In fact, some of the late arrivals came in and saw the geezer in blue scoring and instinctively cheered. That realisation that it was for the wrong team must've hurt. In no time though, they could cheer properly as Town equalised. The shot from garner didn't seem to deflect. Swerve maybe? Keeper had a mare it seemed though. Anyway, I was correct in my belief that there'd be goals tonight after seeing the side we put out.

Some lovely football from Town came and I think the Waghorn goal was quite beautiful. A lovely swift passing move and a proper bit of finishing. The 400k rumour is an absolute bargain if true. He's a proper player. Both of the Rangers signings have been quite magnificent so far.

Millwall equalised. We nearly managed to get away without them equalising but not quite. But on the stroke of half time, my halftime full time 5/1 Ipswich bet took a giant leap. Town hit the front. Absolute masterclass from Didz and waggy knew what to do. Yet again he put his hands to his ear to the fans of his ex employer.

At half time, the general consensus was that 3 goals wasn't going to be enough to take the points. In fact, my half time notes on here said that we may not even win if we were to score a 4th.

Second half was a bit of a pummelling. Millwall are a big physical side and they weren't just knocking on the door, they were throwing 300lb Steve Morison at it with all his might. You could feel it coming. Then it did. A scrappy goal as expected (and like the other two Lions goals) and it was 3 a piece.

I'll be honest, even though in my heart I was dreaming of a winner, I wouldn't have been too despondent had the game been finished when the equaliser came. The Millwall crowd were right up for it and I feared we'd sit back. But no no no. Not the new Mick. Like at Barnsley, we coped with the setback and went scrambling forward for the win. Corner after corner, throw in after throw in. Suddenly our creativity was back up like the first half and we were searching for the blissful winner.

And then it came. Free kick on our left hand side. Ward whipped it in with pace - absolutely pinpoint accuracy for the perfect free kick placement on the penalty spot. Up rose Spence and I swear I'm slow motion the away end no more than 25 yards away nodded it in as one. We went berserk. If Barnsley doesn't qualify as scenes on the TWTDometer, Millwall certainly does. Jordan Spence you here.

I did fear the craziness of the game meant Millwall would equaliser but thankfully it was not to be. Town had done it. 3 league games, 3 league wins. 4 in all comps. It's the start even us optimists couldn't dream of.

After the game, the 2000 Town fans were locked in by those big metal gates outside the away end as I caught up with Steve, Blueblueburleymcgrew and Bluewin. 35 minutes we were held in for. Then my oyster didn't register properly but the mass of people meant I just left it. I knew I'd be let through at London Bridge anyway. And now as I write this I'm nearly at Romford.

On the whole, I think I'm most impressed with the mentality of the management and the players. As soon as it went 3-3, there was chambers rallying the troops telling them that we could still win from there.

I didn't have a hotdog today (due to the aforementioned McDonald's) so there's only one more thing to say.

It's that beautiful word beginning with B that makes or breaks a football fan. Tonight, we as a football club were full of it. Roll on Saturday.

BELIEVE!

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Rommy Report on 00:28 - Aug 16 with 3449 viewsTLA

Lovely stuff Rommy!

I said to my wife just before KO that I fancied a fiver on 4-3 to both us and Millwall (having seen the team) - I've not been betting this season so I didn't do it. Now I think cashing out on Millwall at 3-3 and letting ours go to the end would have been worth a lot of cash! Of course, I would have cashed out on both at 3-3 in the real world!

I couldn't get there tonight - night games in London and living in Great Yarmouth are not possible by train. I can't wait for Saturday now. Even if it doesn't last, we have to enjoy the magic while it's here!
Good stuff Rommers, except for the McDonalds ;) (n/t) on 00:32 - Aug 16 with 3438 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The Rommy Report on 01:07 - Aug 16 with 3360 viewsbluewein

Obviously it was my brother you met ;-)

Good to meet you though bud, top old night! COYB's!!

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

The Rommy Report on 01:22 - Aug 16 with 3321 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report on 01:07 - Aug 16 by bluewein

Obviously it was my brother you met ;-)

Good to meet you though bud, top old night! COYB's!!

Was a pleasure to meet ya

Still buzzing now
[Post edited 16 Aug 2017 1:22]

The Rommy Report on 01:42 - Aug 16 with 3287 viewsjeera

"Suddenly, I felt ill. No idea why ..." That would be the oysters.

Your excitement is infectious Rommers - sounds a fun evening.

Long may it continue.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Rommy Report on 02:12 - Aug 16 with 3249 viewsIllinoisblue

Good stuff rommers. Enjoy every minute.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Rommy Report on 02:16 - Aug 16 with 3249 viewsmilliem

The Rommy Report on 01:42 - Aug 16 by jeera

"Suddenly, I felt ill. No idea why ..." That would be the oysters.

Your excitement is infectious Rommers - sounds a fun evening.

Long may it continue.

I'm in my 60s and am lucky enough to have gone to Wembley to see Town win the FA Cup as well as attending both legs of the EUFA Cup Final.

At that time we all thought that Ipswich would end up winning the league and go on to dominate European football. Alas it was not to be because Robson left, the economics of English football changed and partly because of that Town got into serious financial difficulties which eventually resulted in relegation.

People like youself Rommy and even lads and lasses in their twenties have never experienced real success with Ipswich and have had to put up with years of mediocrity in the second division - not bad enough to go down but unlikely to get promoted. So I'm so pleased that Ipswich have got off to such a cracking start, mainly for the sake of people like yourself, who follow the Town home and away more in hope than expectation. Lets hope the good start continues although I'm sure you won't be counting your chickens just yet!
The Rommy Report on 02:21 - Aug 16 with 3239 viewsjeera

The Rommy Report on 02:16 - Aug 16 by milliem

I'm in my 60s and am lucky enough to have gone to Wembley to see Town win the FA Cup as well as attending both legs of the EUFA Cup Final.

At that time we all thought that Ipswich would end up winning the league and go on to dominate European football. Alas it was not to be because Robson left, the economics of English football changed and partly because of that Town got into serious financial difficulties which eventually resulted in relegation.

People like youself Rommy and even lads and lasses in their twenties have never experienced real success with Ipswich and have had to put up with years of mediocrity in the second division - not bad enough to go down but unlikely to get promoted. So I'm so pleased that Ipswich have got off to such a cracking start, mainly for the sake of people like yourself, who follow the Town home and away more in hope than expectation. Lets hope the good start continues although I'm sure you won't be counting your chickens just yet!

I've never met you before but you're already one of my favourite posters...

"People like youself Rommy and even lads and lasses in their twenties..." I wish.

I have also seen Town win the FA cup, (live) and a few of the games en route to the UEFA.

Many thanks though!

I'm sure you also hope - like me - to see 'us' up there again one day winning stuff, but I join you in applauding the likes of Rommers and Sitters and their ilk for not taking the easy option and supporting their 'local' team.

Login to get fewer ads

The Rommy Report on 02:39 - Aug 16 with 3213 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report on 02:16 - Aug 16 by milliem

I am extremely jealous of people who can say they saw the glory days. Even people who got to see us play in Europe - what a buzz that must've been. I can't even imagine it.

As you say, I've never seen us have any success (asides from a first leg against Arsenal and a failed playoff season) but I can do more than hope that one day it all falls together and we have that amazing season. Like the Huddersfield fans had last year. It will happen. One day.

And when that day comes, I'll be doubly happy I chose Town rather than take the easy option and support Man U like my dad or two of my grandparents.

The Rommy Report on 15:47 - Aug 16 with 2748 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Some next day reflections to add (rather than do a new thread completely):

- Sears and Knudsen and also Iorfa and Waggy work so well as an attacking threat down the left and right. How often yesterday did Freddie get the ball and drive at his man? His loss of confidence meant he rarely did that last season but this year he is getting it and taking the right backs on. Knudsen busts his gut to offer and overlap as well which I love to see. Iorfa is a proper good footballer coming forward. It wouldn't surprise me if he eventually becomes a right midfielder in his career at some point. Waggy coming inside and his movement is great to see. He offers a threat with that first touch inside to open the game right up.

- Our four strikers on the pitch work together superbly. Didz, Garner, Waggy and Sears worked as a unit so well yesterday just like against Barnsley in the second half. The movement of the four and their work rate makes us look just about as dangerous coming forward as I can remember an Ipswich side.

- The mentality is so good to go for the win rather than the point at 3-3 but I also love the workrate ans squad togetherness. When Spence scored that header, every single player outfield ran out to Spence in the corner to celebrate. The group looks strong and I'm glad to say that the players we have give a sh1t about the shirt. No one like Leon best in the squad but instead everyone pulls in the same direction.

- Brentford will be a tougher and very different test for our defence Saturday. Unlike Millwall, Brentford aren't a physical side but instead keep it on the deck. That might actually suit our defence though. Not sure why they come into the game as favourites tbh.

- Millwalls physicality and intimidating of the refs will get them decisions this year. The blatant dive was thankfully not bottled by the ref and he booked him. Teams like wolves with a load of foreign players won't like the physicality of going to the Den. I expect Millwall to do well at home as the season goes on.

The Rommy Report on 15:49 - Aug 16 with 2734 viewsunbelievablue

Surely it wasn't 35 minutes?

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

The Rommy Report on 15:51 - Aug 16 with 2716 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report on 15:49 - Aug 16 by unbelievablue

Game finished at 9:35/9:40 and we were let out around 10:10

The Rommy Report on 17:08 - Aug 16 with 2602 viewsstrikalite

Brilliant stuff Rommy, any trouble outside the ground before or after the game then?
The Rommy Report on 17:16 - Aug 16 with 2562 viewsBlueinBrum

The Rommy Report on 15:51 - Aug 16 by The_Romford_Blue

Game finished at 9:35/9:40 and we were let out around 10:10

Ten
The Rommy Report on 17:16 - Aug 16 with 2562 viewsusm

Nice one Rommers.

YSC

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

The Rommy Report on 17:43 - Aug 16 with 2494 viewsRadlett_blue

The Rommy Report on 15:49 - Aug 16 by unbelievablue

It was. Remember a similar thing happened when we last played there, though that wasn't as annoying as was on a Saturday afternoon. However, it's a small platform at South Bermondsey so probably not safe to let the fans mingle.
Still meant that I missed my train from St Pancras by about 1 minute so got home an hour after I could have done. However, as we'd won a dramatic game it didn't feel so bad.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Rommy Report on 17:48 - Aug 16 with 2471 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report on 17:08 - Aug 16 by strikalite

Brilliant stuff Rommy, any trouble outside the ground before or after the game then?

None that I saw

Most of the Millwall fans had gone whilst we were being held back though to be fair

The Rommy Report on 17:48 - Aug 16 with 2465 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report on 17:16 - Aug 16 by usm

Nice one Rommers.

YSC

What does YSC mean?

The Rommy Report on 17:49 - Aug 16 with 2462 viewsPilgrimblue

The Rommy Report on 15:47 - Aug 16 by The_Romford_Blue

Some next day reflections to add (rather than do a new thread completely):

- Sears and Knudsen and also Iorfa and Waggy work so well as an attacking threat down the left and right. How often yesterday did Freddie get the ball and drive at his man? His loss of confidence meant he rarely did that last season but this year he is getting it and taking the right backs on. Knudsen busts his gut to offer and overlap as well which I love to see. Iorfa is a proper good footballer coming forward. It wouldn't surprise me if he eventually becomes a right midfielder in his career at some point. Waggy coming inside and his movement is great to see. He offers a threat with that first touch inside to open the game right up.

- Our four strikers on the pitch work together superbly. Didz, Garner, Waggy and Sears worked as a unit so well yesterday just like against Barnsley in the second half. The movement of the four and their work rate makes us look just about as dangerous coming forward as I can remember an Ipswich side.

- The mentality is so good to go for the win rather than the point at 3-3 but I also love the workrate ans squad togetherness. When Spence scored that header, every single player outfield ran out to Spence in the corner to celebrate. The group looks strong and I'm glad to say that the players we have give a sh1t about the shirt. No one like Leon best in the squad but instead everyone pulls in the same direction.

- Brentford will be a tougher and very different test for our defence Saturday. Unlike Millwall, Brentford aren't a physical side but instead keep it on the deck. That might actually suit our defence though. Not sure why they come into the game as favourites tbh.

- Millwalls physicality and intimidating of the refs will get them decisions this year. The blatant dive was thankfully not bottled by the ref and he booked him. Teams like wolves with a load of foreign players won't like the physicality of going to the Den. I expect Millwall to do well at home as the season goes on.

Great stuff Rommy. Whole attitude has changed from top to bottom but we could do with some injuries/sickness to clear up.
Just shows that attack is best form of defence!
The Rommy Report on 17:51 - Aug 16 with 2451 viewsjeera

The Rommy Report on 17:48 - Aug 16 by The_Romford_Blue

What does YSC mean?

You silly cucumber.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024