Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
starship troupers article 15:35 - Nov 9 with 1912 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/09/starship-troopers-reality-

(i agree - there always did seem to be more to it than some silly sci fi.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

starship troupers article on 15:54 - Nov 9 with 1886 viewsbritbiker

It took me a couple of viewings before I got the film and decided it was a bit tounge in cheek but had some parallels to modern society. It most be one of my most watched films albeit unintended
starship troupers article on 15:56 - Nov 9 with 1884 viewsGuthrum

As with so much SF, Heinlein's original story was written as socio-political commentary, in this case inspired by events in the Cold War.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2017 15:59]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

starship troupers article on 15:56 - Nov 9 with 1879 viewsconnorscontract

I've always thought it was a very clever satire. I really like it.

I'll put this out there, too: the first Michael Bay Transformers movie is a similarly sharp critique of US militarism post-9/11. I'm not joking.
starship troupers article on 15:59 - Nov 9 with 1875 viewsgiant_stow

starship troupers article on 15:54 - Nov 9 by britbiker

It took me a couple of viewings before I got the film and decided it was a bit tounge in cheek but had some parallels to modern society. It most be one of my most watched films albeit unintended

well its often on the telly!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

starship troupers article on 16:01 - Nov 9 with 1870 viewsgiant_stow

starship troupers article on 15:56 - Nov 9 by connorscontract

I've always thought it was a very clever satire. I really like it.

I'll put this out there, too: the first Michael Bay Transformers movie is a similarly sharp critique of US militarism post-9/11. I'm not joking.

I might try putting that to mrs ullaa re transformers - shes very harsh on sci fi to the point of making me choose between some lovely film or my weekly dose of Grand Designs. meanie.

starship troupers article on 16:21 - Nov 9 with 1853 viewsconnorscontract

starship troupers article on 16:01 - Nov 9 by giant_stow

I might try putting that to mrs ullaa re transformers - shes very harsh on sci fi to the point of making me choose between some lovely film or my weekly dose of Grand Designs. meanie.

In my reading of Transformers the US military are portrayed as blundering in and assuming use of blunt force will work, they don't understand the nuances of what is going on, aren't interested in the history and can't distinguish one side from another because "they all look the same" to them.
starship troupers article on 16:29 - Nov 9 with 1847 viewsgiant_stow

starship troupers article on 16:21 - Nov 9 by connorscontract

In my reading of Transformers the US military are portrayed as blundering in and assuming use of blunt force will work, they don't understand the nuances of what is going on, aren't interested in the history and can't distinguish one side from another because "they all look the same" to them.

I'll copy and paste that ready for use the next time film 4 has it on!

starship troupers article on 16:39 - Nov 9 with 1841 viewsconnorscontract

starship troupers article on 16:29 - Nov 9 by giant_stow

I'll copy and paste that ready for use the next time film 4 has it on!

I could also try and write a review of Megan Fox's groundbreaking use of Brechtian technique in embodying the character of Mikaela Banes, but she might see through that one!
Login to get fewer ads

starship troupers article on 20:36 - Nov 9 with 1736 viewsBlueBadger

starship troupers article on 15:56 - Nov 9 by Guthrum

As with so much SF, Heinlein's original story was written as socio-political commentary, in this case inspired by events in the Cold War.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2017 15:59]

Did you ever read Harry Harrison's 'Bill The Galactic Hero' which is a far more obvious satire on the more gung-ho military sci-fi?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

starship troupers article on 23:36 - Nov 9 with 1695 viewsGuthrum

starship troupers article on 20:36 - Nov 9 by BlueBadger

Did you ever read Harry Harrison's 'Bill The Galactic Hero' which is a far more obvious satire on the more gung-ho military sci-fi?

No (I'm not an enormous SF - or fiction in general - fan).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

starship troupers article on 08:47 - Nov 10 with 1634 viewsBLUEBEAT

‘They Live’ isn’t satire. IT’S REAL.

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024