Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Reading Review.... 17:28 - Dec 18 with 2274 viewsPendejo

As I am at work I can finally put fingers to keyboard and ramble on about the Reading game Saturday.

Forced the cultural experience of match day at Portman Road on my Colombian nieces [12 and 15 years old], and wish I'd not... such a flat funereal experience, no atmosphere and poor crowd. A massive difference to that experienced by my brother in law @ Fulham 2 years ago [but similar to the Boxing Day game with QPR later that month].

The poor girls were cold, after all they come from a country where the temperature gauge rarely drops below 10C, and if it does there's no arctic winds that gnaw thru the skin at the bones. BUT they brought us luck; collectively my in-laws have now attended 3 games and got 3 wins.

I know of many loyal followers who go to most, if not all, home and away games who have spent thousands following Town, to a man they are questioning their own sanity and are ready to give it up for an existence similar to mine... a game a month [if I'm lucky]. Given our league position that seems mad... but watching the football seems sane.

BUT

The thing is, we have some good players, players with a level of understanding that means some of our forward play is excellent.

BUT

The way the team is, seemingly, set up means those glimpses of flair are too few and far between. The interplay, particularly, between Cellina, Garner and Waghorn is fantastic... so why do we seem so intent on surrendering possession? There were, at least, a couple of occasions when there was a pass on but the defence hoofed it conceding possession. Reading, on the other hand had loads of possession... but what was the score?

Football is a simple game, no matter how you dress it up. Put the ball in the opposition net, don't let them put it in your net... but if you do make sure you score more than them, and you will win. Whilst it is our intention to score more than them, too much of it involves the attacking players feeding on scraps to score goals. I believe our chances to goals ratio is good, if it wasn't we'd really be in trouble.
[Didn't the opposite happen under one of the previous 2 managers? Lots of shots and no goals]

The defence defended well, blocking shots, making excellent tackles and Bartman, was Bartman. The big pole in the goal sucking the ball into his hands a few times... oh and a keeper sweeper header, the girls loved that. There were errors, misplaced passes and hoofs but it'd be churlish to pick on anyone's mistakes when we won. Spence had at least one rampage upfield that got the pulse rate up.

The midfield went about their task defending... well enough. Nice goal from the Everton loanee and some tidy work between them.

But what I really enjoyed was the play between the aforementioned Cellina, Garner and Waghorn, not to mention their collective industry chasing down, dropping back etc.
Loved Garner's goal, similar but not quite as good as Tabby's against Boro 3 years ago.
Cellina is certainly is the beautiful football bracket and here's hoping he has a bright future at Massive, or another top level club.
Waghorn. A colleague who is a Celtic season ticket holder laughed at that signing, fat and lazy. The weight I have heard alluded to in C5's football coverage... I am fat, not lazy but definitely lethargic... I can't believe that the Waghorn I've seen playing for Town is the same person as my colleague alluded to. Pity he didn't get a goal, but that free kick routine with Cellina... so happy to see something different to the usual lump into the box.

Despite the fact that the football has been "below the standard expected" by Ipswich fans I still enjoy going to my one game a month and also think that given the respective budgets and squads in the Championship Super Mick is still performing miracles. This will not exactly be a popular statement, but it is from my heart as a Town fan.
I would love a return to the football produced by Burley's "total" football team. BUT I seem to recall negative posting about lack of a midfielder who could unlock stubborn opposition defences pre-1999/2000.

Did anyone else think that Reading's kit made their players look "bigger" than they actually were, both taller and more barrel chested?
We played better @ Leeds and lost than we did at Burton or Saturday... football's a funny old game.

My next game is Leeds H - atmosphere should be much much better for that. Shouldn't it?

Then roll on February and a Sunderland weekender! [Unless we get a tempting draw in FA Cup 4th Round... cough cough]

Keep the faith folks... something special is coming, I can feel it in my water [hopefully that's not more kidney stones!]

and finally...

Here's hoping to see the fine gentlemen from the West Country soon... before the BBQ with any luck.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

A Reading Review.... on 00:10 - Dec 19 with 2066 viewsArnieM

Good post ^^^ thanks for that.

The game vs Leeds will feel / sound like an away game , since our owner has given up the entire top part of the Cobbold Stand to their fans - all @ £40 a seat. Nice little earner for Marcus is that. Maybe if he hadn’t share in the loyal ST holders in the 60-65yrs old bracket he would have lost another 2k fans this summer.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

A Reading Review.... on 05:04 - Dec 19 with 2024 viewsbritbiker

A Reading Review.... on 00:10 - Dec 19 by ArnieM

Good post ^^^ thanks for that.

The game vs Leeds will feel / sound like an away game , since our owner has given up the entire top part of the Cobbold Stand to their fans - all @ £40 a seat. Nice little earner for Marcus is that. Maybe if he hadn’t share in the loyal ST holders in the 60-65yrs old bracket he would have lost another 2k fans this summer.

Celina was a joy to watch 2nd half, especially the free kick move and the solo effort which went over the bar, however first half he had a few shaky moments when reading kept playing the ball in behind him. The miss timed headed clearence could have been really costly.
A Reading Review.... on 08:48 - Dec 19 with 1937 viewsHerbivore

A Reading Review.... on 05:04 - Dec 19 by britbiker

Celina was a joy to watch 2nd half, especially the free kick move and the solo effort which went over the bar, however first half he had a few shaky moments when reading kept playing the ball in behind him. The miss timed headed clearence could have been really costly.

The game changed on Mick switching Ward and Celina. All of their joy was coming down our left so Mick moved Ward there who is more defensively solid and after that they barely had a sniff.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A Reading Review.... on 14:28 - Dec 19 with 1808 viewsPilgrimblue

Great post and hope your next one brings same result!

Thought the team played much better and there definitely seemed to be a plan against Reading. Also players looking to do something different such as second goal and Waggy's freekick to Celina (very unlucky not to score). And passing moves getting better but still too much hoof from Chambers and Webster when they've got plenty of time. If Spence can do it why can't they. It's putting too much pressure on Garner who I'm sure would prefer it on the ground.
A Reading Review.... on 17:22 - Dec 19 with 1731 viewsIPSWICHINIO

Agree with this. Overall, I think it was a good solid performance. However, I thought we were pretty poor with the ball (especially compared to recent home games) and particularly in the second half. We could have easily scored at least two more goals if we had more composure on the ball, and at times our carelessness was really frustrating to watch.

I don't know what to think about Grant Ward, it's easy to see he gives his all, but attacking-wise I'm not sure he's good enough. He just doesn't look comfortable running with the ball, and his crosses/shots never seem to have enough power in them? Not sure if physically he's not there, although that would be surprising seeing as Mick seems to be a fan, but I wouldn't mind getting another RW in January, think that could really take us to the next level.

I do think our front three (Celina, Waghorn, Garner + could add Dave) are top-six quality. Connolly has been excellent in the middle as has Skuse, don't think midfield is too far off, maybe one addition seeing as Huws is out for the seaoson.

Defence is hard to say really. Prior to the Reading game I thought Spence had been poor (like Iorfa), however he was excellent on Saturday and if he can recreate that sort of performance more regularly we'll be alright. Chambers and Webster will improve with time, as they have done so already. Knudsen, defensively I think he's very good, he makes some great runs from lb and tbf his crossing isn't bad either. I think he does need to improve on the ball though, and maybe is guilty (as is Chambers) of hoofing the ball away too much which, especially in away games, just invites even more pressure.

Overall, I don't think we're quite as good as we were in 2014/15 season, although with a few decent additions in January we could definitely target a top-six finish.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024